1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAC 12 Rivals

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Shldr2Shldr, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Who will be ours??

Ted Miller at ESPN sees Utah actually working for us
    http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/...hate-in-the-a-12?prosaction=newpost&status=ok

First of all I love that CU is actually starting to get decent coverage on ESPN, its about damn time.

I do think the Utah-CU game will become a big deal sooner than later. CU has played Utah more than some of our old Big 8 rivals. They did get rid of a bid for a perfect season for us. We do have better skiing/mountains, no matter what they say. We do hate red... a lot. I can see it working, its just going to have to take time, and some effort on our part.

WU: might be a budding rivalry as well. They already hate us for stealing some of their recruits at the last minute.

WSU: Red... thats it

ASU: besides the color red I dont see a whole lot of potential there yet

UofA: Poached some coaches, Stoops and his Polynesian comment, and color red. Not a whole lot yet either

USC: Red. Everyone hates U$C anyway. Will reevaluate this after the game in Boulder.

UCLA: Everyone hates UCLA, The weasel, they are kinda getting upset about the PRich thing since he is developing into a big time player.

CAL: This will hinge on how we respond to them in Boulder. If we embarass them this could be a big time rivalry in the making. However not playing them every year kind of limits that.

Stanford: Red, that stupid tree, stupid band, lame fans, good recently but normally eh. Dont see it happening here

Oregon: Nike donors, stupid uniforms, semi obnoxious fans. Could be a possibility here if they can keep up the success and we can be competitive when we play

OSU: not really feeling it here sorry beavers

Any thoughts on who are most likely rival will be? I know the Pac-12 and the AD are going to try and sell Utah. If thats the case should the fans embrace it or should we fight it? If not Utah then who do we decide to hate the most next year?

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I'm not sure it has to be about hate. That's kind of the Big 12 way of thinking with the Bugeater rivalry.

I see the Pac-12 rivalries as more of an intensely competitive thing where we have a bunch of teams we love to beat and can't stand losing to. The Utah game likely becomes the "Event" on the conference football schedule for us, but I don't see it becoming the same sort of rivalry game we are used to. And I think that's a good thing. Too much stuff about being a CU fan came from a negative place (even the good stuff).

3. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

If you look at my sig pic, I have embraced the hatred of Utah. It just makes too much sense to hate them.

4. Shldr2Shldr

hate here was used in the most positive loving manner possible lol. I dont think anything in this conference will develop into the type of matchup like OrU-OrSU, OU-UT, Bama-Aub, Mich-tOSU and that is ok with me. I just want to be able to have a game we point to on the schedule each year and see this is the game that we must win no matter what. A game that will pack the stadiums at both campuses and draw some national media attention.

5. Shldr2Shldr

I agree. The history, tradition (died off some over the past 50yrs), and location make too much sense. How do we as fans build on it though. Utes is such a hard name to make fun of... their student section on the other hand "MUSS" is a pretty easy one lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah%E2%80%93Colorado_football_rivalry

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

for some reason I think it is going to be Cal. Their town and fans are similar to CU fans, except not as awesome.

7. Shldr2Shldr

with the way the series started last year I agree. Only problem I see is not playing them every year.

8. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

fify

9. Shldr2Shldr

ah yes thank you. It would be sad to not be able to play them at Folsom every season due to our top seed in the Pac-12

10. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

11. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

I see this kind of how Buffnik does. I think we will get under the skin of more teams in the PAC-12, and each school will be much more of a rival to us than Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri etc... (who cares?) , however we will not have just 1 school we really consider our biggest rival for a while.

12. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Wrong. F Cal!

13. Shldr2Shldr

haha I already have friends working on their F U$C yelling

14. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I'm kind of looking forward to not having any teams I truly hate. The nebraska game would make me sick, win or lose, every year. It would ruin my Thanksgiving celebration because all I'd be thinking about would be that game. Frankly, I'm really happy to be just another school in a 12 team conference for a while.

Goose likes this.
  15. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

I don't see a true rivalry (where both teams and fan bases get geeked up and circle that one game every year) developing with anyone for a while. Ultimately if anyone it will have to be Utah - not because they wear red or live in the mountains, but because every other team in the conference already has a true rival that they will always hate more than CU. Even Utah will never consider CU as big a rival as BYU.

I think we're destined to be a one-team wolfpack.

16. Shldr2Shldr

can we please refer to the MUSS as the Prove Utes Student Section... PUSS is so much more fitting hahahaha

17. sackman

It will be very interesting to see if Utah keeps BYU on their schedule with only three OOC games a year. We're tied in with CSU for the next 9 years, but I could see CU dropping that series once the contract runs out. With BYU going independent, Utah isn't doing themselves any favors by putting them on their schedule.

18. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Other than continuing a heated rivalry that excites the fanbase and helps in-state recruiting, you are are correct.

19. Shldr2Shldr

CU and our "Rivals" are front and center on ESPN's NCAAF page

Would jump start things if the game after thanksgiving had some significant postseason implications this season. Game for the south title would be interesting

20. Black_Rob

Black_Rob New Member

I'd like to see it being USC.

1. I hate them almost as much as NU.
    2. Any conference championship will have to go through USC.

21. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

agree here on both counts. no true rival, and one-team w-p. in time, maybe Utah which would be nice but i don't think we'll ever have the polar NU thing in the Pac.

22. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

**** 'em all. Especially, UW, WSU, UO, OSU, Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, UU, UA, & ASU.

23. sackman

Some might say the same thing about the CU/CSU game, althogh strangely enough, most around here seem to be of the opinion that we'd be better off without that game. Crazy.

24. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

I don't think you can even remotely compare CU-CSU to UU-BYU. The latter has been a true rivalry game in every sense for a very long time. The former never has been one and never will be one.

25. sackman

You realize that we've played CSU more than any other school, right?

26. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I think we should just designate ourselves as our rival, because nobody else is worthy.

27. Duff Man

...which has little relevance to the BYU-Utah series. BYU and Utah have much more tradition and are simply better programs than CSU. If CSU were on the level of either, there would be no talk of dropping the series.

28. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

I don't know, I hate to give CSU love but before the PAC move I think CSU and Utah have been on the same level for a long time. Both schools are the same size, have been in the same confence, were established within 20 years of each other (if you want to go way back) etc... Both are the #2 school in their state.

29. Shldr2Shldr

Want Utah to hate us?? Keep using that stat haha

30. Duff Man

Utah is a better program than CSU. Not really close either.