What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 South Race

Arizona is looking at a 1-5 start, 2-4 at best. It's tough to see them ever really recovering and being competitive. 4th is the best case scenario for them imo

Not to be too negative but its very possible we start out 1-5 or 2-4..

N.Arizona
@ Oklahoma State
Stanford
Oregon
@ USC
@ Oregon State

Even our schedule doesn't START out that bad. I say it's more likely the Buffs start 3-2 than 1-5...

And as for players, on offense.

Speedy Stewart, 3rd best back out of the Pac-12 backs last season.

Paul Richardson, set CU freshman recieving record.

Tyler Hansen, experienced and mobile QB named starter since spring (no looking over shoulder)

O-line, probably one of the better O-lines we've had in a while, led by potential early draft pick Ryan Miller

defense

D-line, One of the best we've had in YEARS. Could be one of the best DL units in the Pac-12

LB's, looking better than the last few years. Jon Major could push for 1st team all conf

Secondary, big holes to fill, and already injuries, this unit scares me the most.

Special teams, it can't be any worse than the last few years. I expect some improvement here.

Coaching, intense no-nonsense practicing and pushing. No more juiceboxes and "thats ok, get it right next time" BS.

Colorado is not gonna be a great team, they will be a good team that will surprise people. They do have some players. We will contend for a bowl berth, and we wil.l. upset a good team (most likely USC).

Last edited:
I still think the offense has questions in terms of being consistent and whether we are tough enough to play the offense that embree/eb want to play. Remember most of these guys were recruited to play this soft candy ass Hawk spread. We'll see.

Defense is scary. I'm not really excited about any of the groups. I guess DL is the best by default but I can see it wearing down as the season goes and if we don't get a pass rush? We are going to get lit up.

I still think the offense has questions in terms of being consistent and whether we are tough enough to play the offense that embree/eb want to play. Remember most of these guys were recruited to play this soft candy ass Hawk spread. We'll see.

Defense is scary. I'm not really excited about any of the groups. I guess DL is the best by default but I can see it wearing down as the season goes and if we don't get a pass rush? We are going to get lit up.

I'm pumped about our front seven, our LB's will be good once again to go along with our line. But you are correct, about the pass rush. I am worried about the secondary and if we can't get pressure on the QB it will be a long season.

**** we should have won 8 games last year had it not been for **** ****ing coaching by Hawkins. If we stay healthy, we have a shot at 7 wins.

7 wins:
UH, Cal, CSU, WSU, UCLA, UA

One win from:
UW, ASU, UU, OSU

I'm pumped about our front seven, our LB's will be good once again to go along with our line. But you are correct, about the pass rush. I am worried about the secondary and if we can't get pressure on the QB it will be a long season.

Its a building year. I'm just hoping for improvement and getting better at the end of the season. The schedule makes it tough to get anything going. If Cal and Ohio State were replaced by home games against Northern Colorado and Ball State I'd think we'd have a chance to have a good season. But if we start off 1-4 or 0-5 its going to be tough to recover from that.

**** we should have won 8 games last year had it not been for **** ****ing coaching by Hawkins. If we stay healthy, we have a shot at 7 wins.

7 wins:
UH, Cal, CSU, WSU, UCLA, UA

One win from:
UW, ASU, UU, OSU

You miss the game at CAL last year? We didn't look like we should have been on the same field as them.

Its a building year. I'm just hoping for improvement and getting better at the end of the season. The schedule makes it tough to get anything going. If Cal and Ohio State were replaced by home games against Northern Colorado and Ball State I'd think we'd have a chance to have a good season. But if we start off 1-4 or 0-5 its going to be tough to recover from that.

I agree with that, we'll see. Again, I think we'll surprise people. I think we will beat Cal, they are basically like us on the road, night and day difference, and we will be looking for payback. Ohio state is winnable, they have taken a huge hit. I'm still not predicting we beat them, but I would put my money that Colorado gives them a good battle.

Hawai'i is the real key, it will be huge if we can end this road losing streak right off the bat.

You miss the game at CAL last year? We didn't look like we should have been on the same field as them.

You see Cal play on the road much under Tedford? They got waxed by Nevada on the road the week after they waxed us. And Colorado is a good home team.

The Pac-12 is going to expose a lack of athleticism on our defense. In a big way.

We aren't starting 0-5 when those games include CSU, Wazzu, Hawaii and Cal. I don't have particularly high expectations for the season, but that's a little overboard. This was a 5-7 team last year with two blown second half leads to Texas Tech and Baylor, and then the epic debacle at Kansas. Easily could have been an 8-4 team. No, we don't have a ton of talent, but we've got a lot more talent than CSU, Washington State and yes, even Hawaii. As for Cal, I tend to place that beatdown squarely on the shoulders of Hawkins. If you think they're world-beaters, you're completely mistaken.

We aren't starting 0-5 when those games include CSU, Wazzu, Hawaii and Cal. I don't have particularly high expectations for the season, but that's a little overboard. This was a 5-7 team last year with two blown second half leads to Texas Tech and Baylor, and then the epic debacle at Kansas. Easily could have been an 8-4 team. No, we don't have a ton of talent, but we've got a lot more talent than CSU, Washington State and yes, even Hawaii. As for Cal, I tend to place that beatdown squarely on the shoulders of Hawkins. If you think they're world-beaters, you're completely mistaken.

Agree, especially about CAL. For the people that think CAL is world beaters, they need to look at when they went up to Pullman to play a Wazzu team that has been worse than Colorado the last 5 years and struggled only winning by a TD. Cal is different on the road, CU is different at home, this will be a MUCH MUCH different game than last year. In fact I will be surprised if CAL even wins.

No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night and I know they aren't a 4-8 team. Slick's teams usually rebound.

Rick at UCLA is:

4-8

7-6

4-8

And he followed up 5 wins at CU with 8 but CU still probably had more talent at that time then UCLA does.

If I am a betting man I say at best his rebound is 6 or 7 wins but probably more like 5 and getting canned.

Best thing that could happen for our LA area recruiting would be if UCLA went 6-6, won some nothing bowl game, and they kept Ricky around. His seat would be even hotter next year and struggle with recruiting, while a new coach would be able to land a top class.

Here's the thing about some of the teams you guys are writing off- Cal, UCLA and ASU seem like they're down, right? 500 or worse teams last year, I know. But they always recruit well, UCLA especially and while maybe they aren't going to put together the great season they ought to have, they're all going to be able to jump up and give anyone a game. Besides Washington State, nobody is going to be really bad, and even they might not be outright terrible. Washington is probably overrated though. Don't buy all the North hype. There is probably as much or more paper talent in the South.

Here's the thing about some of the teams you guys are writing off- Cal, UCLA and ASU seem like they're down, right? 500 or worse teams last year, I know. But they always recruit well, UCLA especially and while maybe they aren't going to put together the great season they ought to have, they're all going to be able to jump up and give anyone a game. Besides Washington State, nobody is going to be really bad, and even they might not be outright terrible. Washington is probably overrated though. Don't buy all the North hype. There is probably as much or more paper talent in the South.

I ain't writing anyone off. It will be hard for cu to get to .500 in the conference. Very hard. Pretty much every team in the south is more talented on paper. Thanks haLk.

SUH-Weet.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- Three Colorado State football players have been suspended indefinitely for breaking team rules and two more have been ruled academically ineligible.
Coach Steve Fairchild said freshman fullback Kivon Cartwright, sophomore wide receiver Byron Steele and redshirt freshman Ezra Thompson will be allowed to practice with the team but not play in games.
He didn't say what rules they broke.
Also, redshirt freshman offensive tackle Justin Becker and freshman wide receiver Tony Drakewere ruled academically ineligible Saturday.

Anyone on that team Better than Ezra?

4b2008ca-0ce8-1a53.jpg

The other thing that's gonna help is that U$C is going to have to start making MAJOR scholarship reductions, starting next class. (Wonder Boy decided to defer that penalty in the hopes that their appeal would be successful. Now that it wasn't, they'll be in a pickle recruiting-wise the next two years.) So all of the Pac-12 should be able to clean up in SoCal the next couple years. (Well, all except maybe Wazzu. :lol:)

Best thing that could happen for our LA area recruiting would be if UCLA went 6-6, won some nothing bowl game, and they kept Ricky around. His seat would be even hotter next year and struggle with recruiting, while a new coach would be able to land a top class.

Back