What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 South Spring Game Attendance

i find it interesting we are joining a conference that is significantly less attended in Spring games than the one we left....but it's still a nonplus awesome move.

TV deals, hooray. everyone is going to make that money in the next 2-3 years. still? somehow this is a better football conference?

i don't see that. maybe CU is better in it, but the automatic idea that the PAC is better than Big XII is just plain wrong.

believe what you want, but the old Holiday Bowl was Pac #2 v. Big XII #3....and sometimes 4 when the Big XII had two BCS teams.

the Big XII owned the Pac in the basketball "Hardwood" series or whatever it was called.
dude. We've been over this. West coast>dying midwest states. Texas sucks. Even money distribution. Even playing field. Better conference commissioner! Fresh start. Less ****** teams, less teams with far more resources than the other side. Better depth of conference. Better basketball history. Oh ya, and:
stanfordfront.jpg

p1_brigid3.jpg

Happy easter!

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I find Phoenix/Tempe to be similar to Denver/Boulder in some ways.

Both are top 25 MSA's in big square western states. Both have a large transplant populations. There are several division 1 CFB teams in both states with heated rivalries, and both ASU and CU compete with the local NFL fans for eyeballs and season ticket sales.

Boulder consistently draws >42,000 no matter how bad the team plays. CU will sell out the 53,613 seat capacity several times each year for marquee games. Sometimes that means a contingent of 5k-12k visitors contribute to the sell out.

There's not a lot of energy around expanding Folsom until the fans consistently sell out the stadium and a waiting list for season tickets materializes.

I've got to say that getting 55K-70K to watch the Sun Devils is impressive, given the circumstances. The Sun Devil stadium is a concrete monstrosity with nowhere near the charm as Folsom. It's under a flight path and is subject to brutal 100+ degree temperatures early in the season, both of which detract from tailgating and enjoyment of the setting.

Oh, yeah. Welcome to Allbuffs.

The schools both certainly face similar challenges in terms of local demographics and like Colorado, we typically have big numbers for the marquee host games. You can expect the Missouri, USC and Arizona games this year to all be heavily attended, possibly sellouts. Conversely, when we suck, you might only get 40K at the cupcake games.

The tailgating scene is miserable and not just because of the temperature. Over the years, the school administration has taken a lot of the space for it back for various reasons and really made it a bit of a hassle. The heat really isn't quite as big of a deal as it is made out to be just because they don't schedule day home games until later in the year.

But when we're winning, Sun Devil Stadium is electric. The concrete and mountain sort of bounce the sound around. It can get extremely loud.

Thanks for the welcome and good luck. There aren't going to be many off weeks. Even WSU is supposed to be improving. UCLA might still be garbage, but they always jump out and thump someone even when they suck. Other than that, pretty much everyone in the conference has some reason for optimism.

i find it interesting we are joining a conference that is significantly less attended in Spring games than the one we left....but it's still a nonplus awesome move.

TV deals, hooray. everyone is going to make that money in the next 2-3 years. still? somehow this is a better football conference?

i don't see that. maybe CU is better in it, but the automatic idea that the PAC is better than Big XII is just plain wrong.

believe what you want, but the old Holiday Bowl was Pac #2 v. Big XII #3....and sometimes 4 when the Big XII had two BCS teams.

the Big XII owned the Pac in the basketball "Hardwood" series or whatever it was called.

Hmmm... Don't remember people making an argument that we were jumping to a superior conference in terms of football or basketball. I'd like to see you site these examples. The excitement is we are heading to what is a solid BCS level conference that is a much better fit for Colorado on many other levels. There was never anything wrong with the Big 8. Most here would agree that the primary issue we left a conference was because Texas was starting the inevitable cannibalism of the conference and the writing was on the wall, not because there was any issue with the level of competition in the Big 12. Colorado made the right move.

I think it's bit unfair to poo-pah the Pac-12's attendance numbers. Considering the time of the year that the spring games occur, in the Pac-12 states there are actually things to do or the weather just flat out sucks. Take Colorado/Utah for example, skiing is still great. SoCal/Arizona, weather is nice 'n dry, so people are on the beach or doing outdoorsy escapades. Washington/Oregon are still in their winter, meaning typical rain/drizzle.

The BigXII states? What can you do besides go to a spring game?

I think it's bit unfair to poo-pah the Pac-12's attendance numbers. Considering the time of the year that the spring games occur, in the Pac-12 states there are actually things to do or the weather just flat out sucks. Take Colorado/Utah for example, skiing is still great. SoCal/Arizona, weather is nice 'n dry, so people are on the beach or doing outdoorsy escapades. Washington/Oregon are still in their winter, meaning typical rain/drizzle.

The BigXII states? What can you do besides go to a spring game?
i don't want to get into an argument over this, but do you really think people in the midwest just sit around all day looking for something to do? its hilarious that people think one must have mountains in order to gain satisfaction out of life.

i don't want to get into an argument over this, but do you really think people in the midwest just sit around all day looking for something to do? its hilarious that people think one must have mountains in order to gain satisfaction out of life.

I don't think it's hilarious because that is exactly what I did. I was born and raised in CO but then had to move to Texas due to my parent's job. I hated not being able to ski, go climb, hike, enjoy nice weather and decent brews, so I went back as soon as I could. Okay?

I don't think it's hilarious because that is exactly what I did. I was born and raised in CO but then had to move to Texas due to my parent's job. I hated not being able to ski, go climb, hike, enjoy nice weather and decent brews, so I went back as soon as I could. Okay?
that's totally cool, not everyone is like you though mr. lane.

Ok to be honest, Kansas and Nebraska (and other midwest states) are awesome outdoorsman states. The fishing is off the charts for warmwater species, hunting is phenomenal for deer and upland birds and waterfowl. A lot of big reservoirs for water recreation as well.

i was setting things on fire earlier, for kicks. i don't think the Pac is a better conference than the Big XII in football or basketball (since about 1985, let's say, in hoops)....but i'm happy for the move. in today's TV contract world it makes a lot of sense and benefits the unique quality that CU has as a public, state university that has far more out of state alums than most public schools do....by a lot. i grew up with the Big 8 and i think that was a great conference that had the fatal flaw of not having population density but certainly was not uncompetitive at the time of it's end. sending 5 teams to the NCAA in hoops (60% of the league), won NC's in 85 (OU), 90 (CU), NU (94, 95)...we play for it in 89, OU in 86 and 87 (maybe?), etc. i feel that in our eagerness to praise all things Pac (it HAS been posted many times by various people that the Pac is better and awesomer in all facets)....and hate on the Texas mess that was the Big XII (which is not to our benefit, but we've sucked in men's rev sports the last decade)....we lose sight of our history.

Last edited:
i was setting things on fire earlier, for kicks. i don't think the Pac is a better conference than the Big XII in football or basketball (since about 1985, let's say, in hoops)....but i'm happy for the move. in today's TV contract world it makes a lot of sense and benefits the unique quality that CU has as a public, state university that has far more out of state alums than most public schools do....by a lot. i grew up with the Big 8 and i think that was a great conference that had the fatal flaw of not having population density but certainly was not uncompetitive at the time of it's end. sending 5 teams to the NCAA in hoops (60% of the league), won NC's in 85 (OU), 90 (CU), NU (94, 95)...we play for it in 89, OU in 86 and 87 (maybe?), etc. i feel that in our eagerness to praise all things Pac (it HAS been posted many times by various people that the Pac is better and awesomer in all facets)....and hate on the Texas mess that was the Big XII (which is not to our benefit, but we've sucked in men's rev sports the last decade)....we lose sight of our history.

Good post. While I'm in the huge minority of not liking the move, I sadly admit that the Pac is undoubtedly a better fit for CU especially in today's ever-changing world of college football.

I love the PAC move. I didn't like the writing on the wall of Texas ass-****ing everyone, but most teams had to shut up and take it as they did not have god options to get out. CU and NU did. SO we both bolted. Instead of seeing a conference commisioner that is trying to give one team every advantage and screw over the other teams, we now have one that is taking the conference as a whole to higher levels of viewership and income-- equally. What a refreshing change. And I had not done one road trip for CU. Could not care less about visiting those places. However, have already been to a CU-Stanford game. And loved it. Will be tripping out to many more road games now.

Once again, even before I saw what Larry Scott does for this conference I liked the move. After seeing him in action? LOVE the move.

I love the PAC move. I didn't like the writing on the wall of Texas ass-****ing everyone, but most teams had to shut up and take it as they did not have god options to get out. CU and NU did. SO we both bolted. Instead of seeing a conference commisioner that is trying to give one team every advantage and screw over the other teams, we now have one that is taking the conference as a whole to higher levels of viewership and income-- equally. What a refreshing change. And I had not done one road trip for CU. Could not care less about visiting those places. However, have already been to a CU-Stanford game. And loved it. Will be tripping out to many more road games now.

Once again, even before I saw what Larry Scott does for this conference I liked the move. After seeing him in action? LOVE the move.

Great Post!
Agree 100%!

So here were the final numbers for the 12 Pac - Cal.

Pac-12 spring game attendance*
OREGON 43,468 (Pac-12 record)
USC 16,850
COLORADO 15,655
UTAH 15,000
WASHINGTON 10,000
STANFORD 6,800
ARIZONA STATE 6,400
UCLA 6,400
OREGON STATE 5,519
ARIZONA 4,500
WASHINGTON STATE 4,076

*—California does not have a formal spring game.

ESPN

Back