What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 to commission review of officiating

L Buff

Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left
Club Member
Don't expect much to come of this.

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Pac-12 announced plans Tuesday to commission an independent review of officiating during the league tournament after comments by the conference's coordinator of officials raised questions about its integrity.

The review will be done by "experts who are entirely independent of the Pac-12 Conference," the league said. The investigation is expected to be completed by June.

They should look at the officiating during the whole conference season IMO rather than just the tournament ... the CU-ASU game in Boulder would be a good place to start.

They should ask Ed Rush to help work with the commission. I believe he's an expert and independent of the P12

His handling of this Ed Rush situation is a huge turn off.

His failure to secure more televisions for the Pac-12 Network is also a huge turn off.

the pac-12 net hasnt been live for a year yet... the big10 network wasnt widely carried until 12-18 months after it launched... its a process

I don't think anything potentially dirty was going on in that game. That was just officials letting the game get away from them.

I would have said that before the whole Ed Rush thing became public. In fact, I genuinely believed the Pac 12 was full of well-intentioned refs who executed calls inconsistently. Now I don't know.

I would like to be on this commission. I could be counted on to be as free of personal vendettas as Ed Rush.

I don't think anything potentially dirty was going on in that game. That was just officials letting the game get away from them.

I don't think there was anything crooked going on in that game ... just that the officiating was horrendous. Don't you think that merits a review?

I don't think there was anything crooked going on in that game ... just that the officiating was horrendous. Don't you think that merits a review?
The whole of NCAA basketball officials needs a review. I took this release to mean they're specifically looking at possible corruption.

His handling of this Ed Rush situation is a huge turn off.

His failure to secure more televisions for the Pac-12 Network is also a huge turn off.

Rush is gone that was the end goal, who cares how he got there, especially when we are talking California labor law?

interesting thoughts on this from Wilner:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...c-12-takes-a-closer-look-at-refgate-and-more/
Action: Pac-12 announces an independent review that will examine the officiating before and during the league tournament and take a broader examination of the officiating program.

Reaction I: An independent review is one thing. An independent review ordered up by the CEO Executive Committee? That’s an entirely different matter, folks. I can’t remember the last time the CEOs got involved in athletic business that wasn’t 1) expansion, 2) billion-dollar TV deals or 3) the college football playoff. The fact that the presidents and chancellors are interested in an issue that’s typically considered day-to-day conference business tells you just how how far RefGate rippled through the conference, from the home office in Walnut Creek to every campus and into the halls of power.

Reaction II: This is nothing more than a hunch, but I have to think Ann Weaver Hart, Arizona’s first-year president, was somehow involved in, or the force behind, the CEOs requesting the independent review (in concert with commissioner Larry Scott, of course). And if that’s the case, then good for Hart. Men’s basketball is an essential source of pride and revenue for her school, and Sean Miller is arguably the face of the university nationally. She has to do everything possible to protect the program and her coach — to make sure the Wildcats are being treated fairly and honestly.

Reaction III: The conference (i.e., Scott) already looks like it failed to respond appropriately to Ed Rush offering a bounty (jokingly or not) on Miller in Las Vegas. The league’s nightmare scenario is that the independent review uncovers more transgressions — that refs were bullied or comprised regularly, that the Pac-12 tourney bounty was not an isolated incident (whether directed at Miller or another coach). If Rush was still in charge, this would be an incredibly slippery slope for the Pac-12 — he was so reviled by old-guard referees that, one would think, they’d be eager to expose any corruption. While anything’s possible, Rush’s resignation might serve to mitigate the potential for damaging information to surface.

Reaction IV: The Scott tenure has been one huge success after another (yes, yes, yes: the Pac12Nets/DirecTV is a colossal issue, but it takes two to make that tango work). I’d argue that RefGate qualifies as the biggest misstep of the past three years — it’s far more significant, for instance, than the breakdown in the Pac-12/Big Ten scheduling collaboration. (Not adding the Oklahoma schools 18 months ago was the CEO’s decision, not Scott’s. Not adding Texas was smart business.) Whether Rush was joking or not … whether he pounded his fist on the table while uttering the word “Cancun” or was laughing like a drunk hyena … the “bounty” called the integrity of Pac-12 basketball into question for everyone who will watch or participate in a game next season: Is the product corrupted? Are the officials compromised? Scott has said repeatedly that he took the matter very seriously as soon as Rush’s comments reached his desk, and yet the league’s response wasn’t equal to the transgression or the monumental ramifications of the transgression. The independent review is a significant step in closing the gap.

In reation II, I think Wilner is selling DuffMan's "letter to Larry Scott" thread a little short.

Also, Sacky will love the bit about not adding Texas just being smart business.

:yeahthat:

It's sometimes good to know that I'm not alone in my delusions.

On topic, there should probably be a review of the officiating in every sport, not just Men's Basketball.

I don't expect much to come of this, and even if there's a major overhaul, what good would it do long-term?

Refereeing in the men's college game has become a joke. I thought it was isolated to the Pac-12 until the tournament, but now I realize it's nationwide.

The title game itself was a travesty.

I don't expect much to come of this, and even if there's a major overhaul, what good would it do long-term?

Refereeing in the men's college game has become a joke. I thought it was isolated to the Pac-12 until the tournament, but now I realize it's nationwide.

The title game itself was a travesty.

The fact that Karl Hess was reffing in the Final Four says all you need to know about the state of refereeing in college basketball. The Pac-12 has it quite awful, but the reign of terror Karl Hess and Jamie Luckie have had on ACC country is no better. Hess and a few others are notorious and this has been going on for years. Hess will stoop at nothing to **** over anyone not named Duke or UNC. This is a guy who had security forcefully eject Tom Gugliotta and Chris Corchiani after Corchiani laughingly said "bad call" (which it was) while sitting in his seat. That's hardly an exception. His reign of terror knows no bounds.

Last edited:
Back