What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Tourney should be Thursday thru Sunday

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
1. For students and student-athletes, it's one fewer day away from class.
2. For adults who go, it moves most of the games onto a 3-day weekend.
3. For television viewers, it's easier to watch afternoon games on those days.

Why does the Pac-12 stick with the Wed-Sat schedule? I don't see any benefit to it.

My guess would be time, but I agree it would help with viewers and make us seem a little more legit. A 12 or 1 start time in Vegas wouldn't be too bad.

I like the extra day of rest Saturday's championship provides.

Does it matter, though? My impression is that the top teams from the ACC, B1G and SEC haven't struggled to get out of the first weekend. (With the other teams from those conferences, they're not playing on Sunday so not relevant.)

Does it matter, though? My impression is that the top teams from the ACC, B1G and SEC haven't struggled to get out of the first weekend. (With the other teams from those conferences, they're not playing on Sunday so not relevant.)

I think 2012's run left us completely exhausted as it was. One less day and we don't hold on against UNLV.

Agree on later timing. I am planning on going next year for the first time and taking time off from work would be easier Thursday - Sunday.

1. For students and student-athletes, it's one fewer day away from class.
2. For adults who go, it moves most of the games onto a 3-day weekend.
3. For television viewers, it's easier to watch afternoon games on those days.

Why does the Pac-12 stick with the Wed-Sat schedule? I don't see any benefit to it.
The benefit to have more sway with the committee because everything is penciled in when Sunday rolls along. Also, they'd be competing against the B1G most likely. And the B1G already has the advantage of being the lead-in for the Selection Show. You'd be starting at noon PST They have the stage mostly to themselves on Sat Night(east coast time) after the ACC/B1G/SEC semis and before the BE.

I agree with your first three reasons though.

My guess would be time, but I agree it would help with viewers and make us seem a little more legit. A 12 or 1 start time in Vegas wouldn't be too bad.
An 11 AM PST start time would be bad though. As much as I've talked about appealing to the nationwide audience, I don't think you'd want to alienate your base.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Saturday early evening East Coast/late afternoon in Vegas timeslot for the championship game is good. That's a great timeslot for sports viewing, they just need to get the game on one of the major networks. When the MWC game is on CBS and the Pac-12 one is on FS1, that's a problem. And that's the main CBS, not CBS Sports Network. Which game do you think was on in more bars across the country?

Another thing is that it's easier for the people going to have all day Sunday open for travel instead of having a game finish in mid-afternoon and then travel back home on Sunday night.

I thought about the travel, but there are a ton of flights out of Vegas on Sunday in the late afternoon and evening. Somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of the footprint can drive there, too.

I think the Saturday early evening East Coast/late afternoon in Vegas timeslot for the championship game is good. That's a great timeslot for sports viewing, they just need to get the game on one of the major networks. When the MWC game is on CBS and the Pac-12 one is on FS1, that's a problem. And that's the main CBS, not CBS Sports Network. Which game do you think was on in more bars across the country?

Another thing is that it's easier for the people going to have all day Sunday open for travel instead of having a game finish in mid-afternoon and then travel back home on Sunday night.
I think FS1 is much more available across the nation, when you get a UofA/UCLA matchup, more people are going to be interested than anything the MWC is offering IMO.

Being in Vegas this week I'm a big fan of absolutely everything they've done, the MGM is the perfect venue and I like the Saturday champ game - you can get a late flight out of Vegas on Saturday night after the game and not deal with the mad rush at the airport on Sunday.

I like it the way it is. By friday more than half of the conference is back home and in class anyway(theoretically :lol:). Of course, I wish they'd move the Super Bowl to Saturday to. I hate Sundays in general is what I'm really trying to say. Except for Selection Sunday.... when CU is selected of course. :thumbsup:

Eff that. Saturday night works great, and its hard enough trying to get out of Vegas on a Sunday (Everyone checks out that day, so taxis and the airport SUCK) normally without going to a game. And if you're driving to either LA or Utah or the Arizona schools, its going to be a super late night after the game and you'll be worthless on monday anyway.

Going to the tourney is a 3 day commitment either way, and I'd rather do Wednesday - Sunday.

Leave it finishing on Saturday and be the biggest hoops game that day. I'm not convinced the selection committee factors in the B1G, SEC, or ACC Sunday games unless an automatic bid is at stake. Also, as discussed on this board, from a TV ratings POV the Pac isn't ready to compete with those conferences yet.

Leave it finishing on Saturday and be the biggest hoops game that day. I'm not convinced the selection committee factors in the B1G, SEC, or ACC Sunday games unless an automatic bid is at stake. Also, as discussed on this board, from a TV ratings POV the Pac isn't ready to compete with those conferences yet.
They don't as much especially the B1G by that point, if at all, if they have one bracket if team a wins and one if team b wins, might even be completely irrelevant. They usually just have contingency plans for the Sunday games.

Back