What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 TV Deal with FOX+ESPN, worth $250m per year according to NYT

http://newsok.com/texas-network-a-blow-to-whatever-stability-big-12-has-left/article/3536730

Not sure what OU boards you were looking at, but I think the idea was fairly popular.

In the comments section:

Tramel. You just cannot get over the Pac 10. I remember last summer when you and Carlson sat up there and proudly reported that Oklahoma was going to the Pacific 10 conference - like the majority shares your love affair. The fact of the matter is you don't know how "authorities" at OU feel about joining the SEC, and it has nothing to do with the culture. Like Oklahoma is so much different than Arkansas.

Slive did offer OU membership in June and you can bet your sweet a!@ that money talks. I really don't see how OU could survive the fan backlash if they once again bend over for Texas. Texas has more to lose if the rivalry ever dissolved. Why should OU lose money for The University of Texas while they soak up all the dollars? We are the school with 7 national titles and way more conference titles than Texas.

It is blatantly clear that A&M and OU in the SEC would drive up revenue, increase recruiting options and be the baddest conference in the land. Please stop reporting on this. You obviously know nothing on the matter.

I have yet to talk to one fellow OU fan that thought Oklahoma joining the Pac 10 was a good idea. The University was never on the verge or even flirting with it. Why are you hell-bent on turning OU into an Oregon or Stanford? Seriously dude, just stop.

Read more: http://newsok.com/texas-network-a-b...big-12-has-left/article/3536730#ixzz1LaXiei6i

We had a reporter here suggest that CU should have gone to the Mountain West. Reporters are dumb with their own bias. This article also sounds like an Ah **** article after seeing that Texas is screwing Oklahoma over again.

so this supports both sides, it is from OU's president, they were invited to the SEC and considered it although the pac-12 was their preferred location.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ma-president-ou-texas-am-got-invites-from-sec

You wouldn't be a good AD/President if you didn't consider all options, what I gathered from reading the tea leaves (aka rumors), was that OU was flirting with the SEC when it found out Scott was thinking about taking KU instead of OSU. The flirting ended Scott's interest in KU over OSU

If it is your assertion that OU took a look at the SEC, we can agree to that, but like what was said in the article I posted, and in what you posted, the Pac-xx is where OU would rather be.

Not sure why people think Pac-12 wants Tech? I believe that when the recent expansion was under development, Tech was offered in order to try grab UT. Pac-12 won't take Tech if UT is not in the picture.

I was going to post about what adding teams from the plain states would do to the new Pac 12 logo. I mean, the logo depicts the "PAC"ific ocean and the Rocky Mts. How would you add a depiction of the plains to that? Anyway, that is what I was going to post but then I found this:

images

the Daily Oklahoman is routinely one of Columbia Journalism Review's worst newspapers in America. Berry Tramel is a pot-stirrer. i wouldn't take anything he writes seriously. OU pres David Boren was a career Beltway politician, multi-term senator, chaired Committee for Foreign Affairs for years. the guy is a real player, he's going to say the most "correct" thing. and be good at it.

i'm telling you inside the OU AD the idea of a Pac move was not popular. you don't have to believe me, but this is about as first-hand info as you are going to get. go to soonerfans.com or their rivals site and ask them what they thought about the Pac. thread after thread about it a year ago....and it was wildly unpopular.

it's a bad geographical fit, cultural fit, and political fit. why would OU want to give up its privileged "recruiting in Texas" position by becoming a satellite in a coastal conference and opening the doors of Texas to all the Pac?

Last edited:
I know that a lot of aggies wanted to go to the SEC. Anyway, I didn't go back and read all the posts on this topic. What is going on or rumored to be going on? Is there talk of a PAC 16 now? If that happened, how would it effect the TV deal and each team's profit? Sorry if that was discussed already.

I know that a lot of aggies wanted to go to the SEC. Anyway, I didn't go back and read all the posts on this topic. What is going on or rumored to be going on? Is there talk of a PAC 16 now? If that happened, how would it effect the TV deal and each team's profit? Sorry if that was discussed already.

Scott says the prospect of a future expansion has been discussed and the contract would be readjusted.

live in the here and now!

right now, in the present, ut is not in our conference and neither is ou. :woot:

here in the present, we've gotten ourselves a sweet deal and i am absolutely stoked to be in the p12. we have always been better suited to the pac than the b12 in terms of culture, outlook, and academics. this is ****ing terrific fit for us. whether texas or ou or others are a good fit is something i will think about if and when it becomes relevant.

until then, i am looking forward to watching the Buffs play in person in coming seasons at all the california venues! it is going to be epic.

The only way that the dollars work with going to 16 is if we are able to add the Texas markets in the deal.

Ideally, I think Scott would love to see Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M. He'd then pair those schools with Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State for the "East" and have the old Pac-8 schools (Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, UCLA and USC) in the "West".

Things can certainly change in the next decade, but right now that doesn't look all that appealing to me. I really wouldn't like to see so few trips to the Pac-8 locations.

The only way that the dollars work with going to 16 is if we are able to add the Texas markets in the deal.

Ideally, I think Scott would love to see Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M. He'd then pair those schools with Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State for the "East" and have the old Pac-8 schools (Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, UCLA and USC) in the "West".

Things can certainly change in the next decade, but right now that doesn't look all that appealing to me. I really wouldn't like to see so few trips to the Pac-8 locations.

exactly. i hope we stop at 12 teams and keep the current conference configuration unless and until there is no choice but to expand (e.g. the "superconference and playoffs" scenario becomes a necessity).

the prairie division of a pac 16 seems far less interesting to me. yes, i am biased.

Texas A&M would be a terrible fit in the Pac. They have a military/Southern/SEC-like culture. Plus most of them don't want to be in the PAC anyways. I highly doubt A&M will ever go to the PAC, and UT doesn't want them to go to the SEC, so we'll probably be in this situation for a while, with most conferences maintaining 12 teams.

I think the Big XII goes back to 12 teams by the time they are negotiating their first tier rights in 2015. And my guess is that they add BYU and a team like Memphis or Louisville. The Big East might add a couple of scrubs. Neither of these moves would cause the Big 10, SEC, or PAC to want to expand further, however.

BTW, Gary Barnett believes that what will eventually happen is four 16 team super conferences will split from the NCAA.

Texas is all about Texas. They don't play well with others.

This times eleventybillion. They destroy all they touch because they don't care about the conference and they don't care about anything except themselves. I would gladly take OU and Aggy, though. Seeing Aggy in Berkeley would be classic.

BTW, Gary Barnett believes that what will eventually happen is four 16 team super conferences will split from the NCAA.

That's hardly an original thought. Many on this board have been saying the same thing for over a year.

Not sure why people think Pac-12 wants Tech? I believe that when the recent expansion was under development, Tech was offered in order to try grab UT. Pac-12 won't take Tech if UT is not in the picture.

I agree. For better or worse tech is tied with UT, as the 3rd state school

There is no expansion for the near future. Anything that potentially happens will be way down the road.

Heck, the CAL AD was even quoted in saying that 'All of the ADs are talking about 4 conferences in 5 years'.

That's hardly an original thought. Many on this board have been saying the same thing for over a year.

i'm pretty sure barnett reads this board daily and considers each and every one of us as credible sources...

Agree that we won't see expansion to 16 for a while. I also agree with ScotchBuff (I think) that we're actually sitting pretty when that happens.

Big 10-11-12, ACC, SEC, and Big East know they can't pull Texas. Texas will fight tooth and nail to keep their dictatorship, errr conference together. Texas is the jewel though, and that's what everybody wants. The only way to get Texas is to completely decimate that conference. Because Texas will fight so hard to keep it together ($20 mil Guaranteed etc), I don't think they will be a part of the move that destroys the Big 12-10.

It would take something like the Big East pulling the former north teams to get OU/OSU and aTm to go to the SEC. The SEC would have to pick a 4th team (hopefully a Texas team, Tech?) Once all that happens, Texas is king of turd mountain, and that's when the Big 10-11-12 and PAC12 will make their pitch.

Here's where it gets tricky. The Big 10-11-12 knows the PAC12 doesn't have many schools in it's footprint that really help. I think it will try extra hard to get Texas, to the point of allowing them to keep their network as well as take Baylor, and still play aTm and OU every year or some nonsense. Larry Scott CANNOT make such accomodations. Take whatever teams west of the Mississippi best qualify and continue to build.

Then we let Texas destroy the Big we can't count in <10 years. BOOM!

Point is, it won't happen for a long time because no conference wants to make the move to 16 without Texas and Texas isn't going to be in the conference that makes that first strike expansion (as we just found out). We're all hoping somebody else makes that first move and we can clean up the leftovers (Texas) much easier.

Agree that we won't see expansion to 16 for a while. I also agree with ScotchBuff (I think) that we're actually sitting pretty when that happens.

Big 10-11-12, ACC, SEC, and Big East know they can't pull Texas. Texas will fight tooth and nail to keep their dictatorship, errr conference together. Texas is the jewel though, and that's what everybody wants. The only way to get Texas is to completely decimate that conference. Because Texas will fight so hard to keep it together ($20 mil Guaranteed etc), I don't think they will be a part of the move that destroys the Big 12-10.

It would take something like the Big East pulling the former north teams to get OU/OSU and aTm to go to the SEC. The SEC would have to pick a 4th team (hopefully a Texas team, Tech?) Once all that happens, Texas is king of turd mountain, and that's when the Big 10-11-12 and PAC12 will make their pitch.

Here's where it gets tricky. The Big 10-11-12 knows the PAC12 doesn't have many schools in it's footprint that really help. I think it will try extra hard to get Texas, to the point of allowing them to keep their network as well as take Baylor, and still play aTm and OU every year or some nonsense. Larry Scott CANNOT make such accomodations. Take whatever teams west of the Mississippi best qualify and continue to build.

Then we let Texas destroy the Big we can't count in <10 years. BOOM!

Point is, it won't happen for a long time because no conference wants to make the move to 16 without Texas and Texas isn't going to be in the conference that makes that first strike expansion (as we just found out). We're all hoping somebody else makes that first move and we can clean up the leftovers (Texas) much easier.

Of course the biggest assumption in all of this is that Texas will be as desirable when the next expansion rolls around. 15 years ago, Texas was just another big school with mediocre attendance and bad financials. Texas has had a ridiculous run up until last year of 10+ win seasons. We all know that this doesn't last forever.

Of course the biggest assumption in all of this is that Texas will be as desirable when the next expansion rolls around. 15 years ago, Texas was just another big school with mediocre attendance and bad financials. Texas has had a ridiculous run up until last year of 10+ win seasons. We all know that this doesn't last forever.

well we got invited to the Pac-12 despite one of the worst runs of our history. I don't think W-L records factor in much.

I may have to hunt tractor down and take away his internet.

NO TO TEXAS. Absolutely not. I don't want those jackasses anywhere near me or my conference ever again. I've gotten a taste of what that's like and I DON'T LIKE IT. Let them fumble about in the hinterlands of independents once they suck all the liveblood out of the Big 12.

I may have to hunt tractor down and take away his internet.

NO TO TEXAS. Absolutely not. I don't want those jackasses anywhere near me or my conference ever again. I've gotten a taste of what that's like and I DON'T LIKE IT. Let them fumble about in the hinterlands of independents once they suck all the liveblood out of the Big 12.

Mutha****ing this!

Back