What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 tv online availability

I have very little doubt that the Pac-12 network will end up on DTV. If Scott truly wants to back up his words about national exposure then no way does he let the network not end up on DTV.

By my count, it looks like they have 4 Big 10 Network channels right now, but I'm not sure they're all carrying programming all the time.... :huh:
They don't...... In the offseason, they basically have 1 national channel with old games, classic stuff, and "where are they now" stuff

They don't...... In the offseason, they basically have 1 national channel with old games, classic stuff, and "where are they now" stuff

On the Allbuffs channel they are doing the segment on Wally...... "Where is he now?"

I skimmed through this thread and found most of it to be a debate on the relative merits of cable vs. satellite. I am now living in Argentina so neither of those are very relevant to me. There must be thousands of CU alumni living around the world (and probably tens of thousands or more Pac 12 alums) who would also like to watch these games.

Like some mentioned in the thread, I am crossing my fingers there will be a way to subscribe for web enabled devices. I read the other day that they are preparing to deliver content to those devices but it wasn't clear if you would have to be a paid subscriber of some cable/satellite provider to get access.

I skimmed through this thread and found most of it to be a debate on the relative merits of cable vs. satellite. I am now living in Argentina so neither of those are very relevant to me. There must be thousands of CU alumni living around the world (and probably tens of thousands or more Pac 12 alums) who would also like to watch these games.

Like some mentioned in the thread, I am crossing my fingers there will be a way to subscribe for web enabled devices. I read the other day that they are preparing to deliver content to those devices but it wasn't clear if you would have to be a paid subscriber of some cable/satellite provider to get access.

The delivery of live sports through bit torrent streaming is technically possible and common. But there is a cat-and-mouse game going on between those who stream videos for a low, low price and the content providers who want to capture every dime possible for the content that they are paying billions of dollars to make exclusive. The use of copyright laws restricts the transmission of live sports. This gets in the way of ubiquitous availability of sporting events for free. The Pac12 Network deal wouldn't be so lucrative to Colorado if people could just bypass paying their cable bills and get the stuff for free online.

I see a day when Cable and Satellite will play second fiddle to IP delivered content. But the Cable and Satellite TV providers are not going to go down with out a fight. I am crossing my fingers that this day comes sooner than later when every CU game is available on "alternative screens" like iPads, PCs and cellphones. It sure would be nice if Larry Scott and and Pac 12 network are able to offer reasonably priced games on-demand made available to any user, anywhere.

There will be contract provisions that limit on-demand internet usage in certain geographies. For example, if you have a Colorado IP address, you probably won't be able to get cheap internet broadcasts because of the overlap with Comcast or Direct TV distribution areas. But if your IP address is in Argentina, you might have better and cheaper access to games through an IP connection than those of us in the states. You'll have to let us know what you find out.

The Major League Baseball model is interesting, where you can subscribe for $85 per year or $20 per month to follow your team. I am curious as to when the Pac12 network adopts such a model, and whether that might happen in time for the 2012 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skidmark-thanks for your insights on the business and technical realities of my question. While I'd be thrilled to get all the games for free via IP I'd be happy to pay a reasonable monthly/annual fee for access. As you say maybe their contracts will allow them to provide an alternative delivery to customers w/ no access to U.S. distribution via TV.

Maybe the Pac 12 could just do a revenue share arrangement with the other carriers. THat seems like a win win for all, b/c it is revenue the cable/satellite companies would have a harder time getting and it helps the Pac 12 reach alumni around the globe.

This has about as much chance with regulators as ATT buying TMobile.
Yeah, they were shot down trying to merger in, like, 2001. But they say that now there are more viewer options available so a merger might be allowed.

Back