1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pac-12 TV update

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by NashBuff, Feb 17, 2011.

1. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Darian3Hagan likes this.
  2. drmike

drmike Member

For those of us with satellite, fox sports please!!

3. NashBuff

Based on the article, I have to say it's looking very good for you satellite users.

4. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Good article. I really hope that Larry Scott is also insisting that Fox and the 12Pac grow together. Meaning, Fox needs to invest in better programming quality, needs to start showing games on Fox, not just FSN, etc.

5. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Thank God I'm getting out of Austin and away from Time Warner.

6. NashBuff

Speaking of that, will they have issues with the Longhorn Network?

7. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

If they do, it would be awesome, and I'd be sorry to miss the ensuiing ****storm. As they already have the BEVO HD and On Demand channels - I don't think they will.

But it's UT, I'm leaving in a couple of weeks, and I won't give a **** about the Whorns and their BS after that. Although I will certainly laugh at them when they disintegrate the B12(-2.)

8. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I'd be fine with Fox as long as the contract forbids the use of that nasally guy (I think Papadakis?) and hires Ron Franklin. If I hear that nasally voice doing a Buffs game this fall, I'm going to lose my sh1t

9. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Papadapolous is the worst sports announcer on TV.

10. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

and thats saying something...

11. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

if fox sports or pac 12 network develops an equivalent to ESPN 3 then I have no problems with it. Sounds like fox is trying to put together a huge deal. Sounds like they really want the Pac 12 to themselves.

12. NashBuff

The ESPN3 thing is why I wanted ESPN. If Fox Sports delivers something like that, I'm good with this TV deal.

13. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Ya it would great to have every game available somehow. Would expand coverage. Increase national access/interest. I think to keep up with ESPN they would have to at least give it a shot.

14. NashBuff

This would be a major thing for the olympic sports because the Pac schools are crazy about them.

15. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

we need to find the poll so some of us can start gloating early.

16. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

:lol:

NTTAWWT

17. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

money doesn't seem to be quite where we want it to be. unfortunate that ESPN seems uninterested, but I guess they own the east coast, which is all they really care about.

18. Maxer

Maxer Member

How do you get that? $170mm has always been the target (that's the threshold at which the LA schools don't get extra payouts as well) and it looks like they're right there with Fox:

I don't think we'd want to be on ESPN -- with their SEC, ACC, and Big 10 deals, I don't think they have the inventory to show as many Pac-12 games as we'd like. I'd prefer to be on a different platform that allows for a lot more games to be shown.

NBC/Comcast is interesting too -- now that Comcast owns NBC-Universal, and all channels that come with it (USA, BRAVO, Syfy, G4, and most importantly Versus, Comcast Sports Net, and the NHL Network) they have a huge footprint of channels to put games on. There has been a lot of rumors about them trying to build Versus into a much bigger network -- would be interesting to have the Pac-12 be part of it.

19. NashBuff

Not having to listen to the ESPN blowhards hype up the SEC endlessly is a very refreshing concept.

20. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

Plus isn't the $170 million just for the tier 1 and 2 rights. I may be reading it wrong but if a PAC 12 network is a go, that revenue would be on top of the $170 million, or is that incorrect?

21. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

This seems to be the biggest issue with ESPN, that they simply don't have the room to dedicate to very many Pac-10 games. Apparently they want to leave their 3:30 and 8:00 pm timeslots for the best national games and don't want to be locked into 1 conference for either of those slots. Plus they don't sound all that interested in the late-night Pac games.

22. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

I just worry about Networks not investing much into the quality of the games. If they use terrible announcers and have bad camera action (like the Mizzou game where one camera was used from center court).
    FSN is okay and has quite a bit of resources for the area, but they don't even bother to use a skycam in our football games. ESPN always brings the cheese. Other networks are definitely a question mark.
    Although 170m would be a nice number to split.

23. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

All I care about as far as TV goes is two things.

1. Every CU Football and Basketball game needs to be on TV for at least the entire state of Colorado and if they can't do that the University should be allowed to show it for free on cubuffs.com.

2. Every game needs to be in HD.

If you can't give the locals every opportunity to follow you, then nothing has changed and we will play second fiddle to whatever local pro team is hottest at the moment.

24. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

Fixed!

25. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

You can keep "sky cam" That is cheese I don't personally care for. Give me quality camera angles and clarity; decent announcers that understand that yes... I can see the play too, its TV. Most of all give me coverage! I have grown quite spoiled with the number of CU games (football and basketball) I have been able to see.

26. CarolinaBuff

Thanks for looking out for me! :thumbsup:

Now we just need to add South Carolina to that list for 4dem.

27. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Well, not to start a feud, but broadcasting to the entire PAC-12 south makes a lot more sense. :smile2:

Having embraced the anti-cable tv revolution and catching shows online to supplement broadcast, an ESPN3ish thing is mandatory for me. But they hardly showed every game, we'd need some language to guarantee that.

28. CarolinaBuff

Well sure, broadcasting all games to all the Pac-12 states and probably Texas should be a given. If not then it would be a pretty ****** contract.

29. NashBuff

Amen to that!

30. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I think it needs to cover every football game played by a Pac 12 team and be available nationwide. That's the Big 10 model, and it works. Larry Scott has been vocal about increasing the conference exposure on the East Coast. I think he'll be insistent on getting national coverage.