1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pac-12 universities adopt sweeping reforms for student-athletes...

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by AztecBuff, Oct 27, 2014.

1. AztecBuff

AztecBuff Club Member Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Per Pac 12 article entitled "Pac-12 universities adopt sweeping reforms for student-athletes, guaranteeing scholarships, improving health care, and more" http://pac-12.com/article/2014/10/2...weeping-reforms-student-athletes-guaranteeing (also includes video interview with Larry Scott).

Just one part of the article:

The Conference’s new rules apply to Pac-12 student-athletes across all sports, and include:

Athletic scholarships will be guaranteed for four years for student-athletes in all sports.
    Student-athletes who leave school before graduating will be able to use the remainder of their educational expenses later to earn their degrees.
    Medical expenses for student-athletes who are injured during their college athletic careers will be covered for up to four years after a student-athlete leaves the institution.
    Student-athletes who transfer between Pac-12 institutions will be able to receive athletic scholarships immediately.
    Student-athletes will be represented in the Conference governance structure.

(Thanks to topspin on the volleytalk blog for pointing me to this article.)
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Mar 20, 2009

All the stuff to take care of the athletes better was a long time coming and needed to happen.

I was surprised and happy to see that the Pac-12 has decided to remove extra penalties on a player transferring within the conference. We want to keep Pac-12 talent in the Pac-12. If a player's gonna transfer, the player's gonna transfer. Now, instead of seeing that player end up stocking the Mountain West talent we'll see that player on a different Pac-12 team.
  3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm conflicted on this issue. I only like it when players transfer to CU. When they transfer out, I'd rather see them buried somewhere in the MAC. I hear Toldedo is the Harvard of Northwest Ohio.