What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PAC 12 venues and your experience

liverflukes

Resident Bear
Club Member
There are many Buff alumni out west so I'm curious as we head into the 2nd year with the Buffs in the PAC. Where have you been and where do you hope to visit in the PAC this year or next? F*ck the Big 12. We have hotels, resorts, big cities and beaches. What have been your away game day experiences and what away games do you hope to see this year or next? This is a freelance thread. Nobody is right or wrong. Share what you experienced. Much appreciation in advance...

Some friends and I were gonna try to go to the USC game this season but decided we didn't really want to see them get ****ed. I'm hoping to visit Oregon, USC, UCLA, UW, and Cal sometime.

There are many Buff alumni out west so I'm curious as we head into the 2nd year with the Buffs in the PAC. Where have you been and where do you hope to visit in the PAC this year or next? F*ck the Big 12. We have hotels, resorts, big cities and beaches. What have been your away game day experiences and what away games do you hope to see this year or next? This is a freelance thread. Nobody is right or wrong. Share what you experienced. Much appreciation in advance...
give us some time asshole! Only been to one (Cal). Town was awesome, stadium sucked although it was in a pretty location. Gonna have to reevaluate now that their stadium is coming out of the 1950's. Will report back on WSU after this fall.

give us some time asshole! Only been to one (Cal). Town was awesome, stadium sucked although it was in a pretty location. Gonna have to reevaluate now that their stadium is coming out of the 1950's. Will report back on WSU after this fall.

You f*ckers travel like roaches in a suitcase so I assume many of you have been to several away games in addition to planned away games this year. I expect a detailed report on WSU btw...

You f*ckers travel like roaches in a suitcase so I assume many of you have been to several away games in addition to planned away games this year. I expect a detailed report on WSU btw...
:lol: If ABQ got detail, I'm sure WSU will. Depends on how much needs to be [REDACTED]

Some friends and I were gonna try to go to the USC game this season but decided we didn't really want to see them get ****ed. I'm hoping to visit Oregon (probation soon for cheating and they suck), USC (f*ck them they suck and they obviously cheat) UCLA, UW, and Cal sometime.

I like your quote. The 3 remaining schools that you mentioned are super cool away games and in great locations.

Stanford last year. I'll be hitting Tucson this year. I've been there before, so it's more of a return to a place for me. The main reason I chose this one for 2012 is that I have been missing the Mexican food.

I've been to Cal and had a great time. Also came away proud knowing that Boulder kicks Berkeley's ass in the whole college town thing (but Berkeley ain't a bad place)

I've been to Arizona in the past, and had no issues. Granted, I wasn't wearing enemy gear, so I probably didn't get a full taste of things in that regard. I don't share the complete negative opinion of Tucson that many here seem to have.

Playing things by ear this year, but Wazzu and Arizona are under consideration.

Last edited:
I wanna go to all of the Pac12 campuses.

Been to Cal and witnessed a beatdown. Berkeley stands out as the first time I've not wanted or needed a car for a football weekend. Hello BART. The campus is nice enough and has a nice view of the bay, but the city is a little grimy when compared to Boulder. The bar scene was fun the night before and day of the game. It is easy to put the loss behind by escaping into San Francisco and having a reunion with lots of old classmates that live in the area.

I saw ASU's campus an stadium during the 2002 Fiesta Bowl, when CU lost to the Ducks. I'm not a fan of football in the desert. Sun Devil stadium is a harsh concrete structure in the middle of a harsh desert environment that gets buzzed by aircraft on approach to sky harbor. There are some leather faced folks with lots of mileage on them in the greater pheonix area. Traffic sucks in that town. I'm not really a fan of Tempe, although they do throw some big parties and booze it up. Staying in Scottsdale is the key.

I'm heading to Pullman for my token roady in 2012.

I am looking forward to Eugene, Palo Alto, and the LA schools, but am putting off those locations for the time being. It would be more fun to go to those places when the Buffs actually are competitive. I've been to LA on a number of occations, but not for college football, and I am usually put off by the traffic. But there are some good people and lots of fun to be had. There also is a chance for a dust up with some LA douchebags. I'm hoping that my first experience with the Buffs in LA involves playing in the Rose Bowl after New Years.

I want to hit Utah sooner than later, probably in 2013. Its convenient that CU has the Utes on Turkey Day weekend, which corresponds with that time of year when Little Cottonwood Canyon just might be blanketed in powder.

Washington will be a good trip. I like the idea of tailgating on the poop deck. It will take some coordination to procure a boat and sail off into the Puget sound after the game. The UDub fan base has yet to win me over, though. I keep expecting them to be smarter, funnier and nicer than what experience has shown me. I guess I haven't come across the right group, yet.

Corvallis and Tucson are at the bottom of my list. I'll get to them when I get to them. Maybe they'll surprise me. Zona basketball fans sure are full of themselves.

Went to ASU last year. The best part of the stadium was the fact that the bleachers all have backs, which was nice. But hot, getting to the stadium was like walking up Folsom Dr but from all sides, very poorly attended, horrible sound system, nothing unique except for the hill next to it, band played the same damn song every third down, and it wasn't short, and the PA played the same bells and the video board put up the same video every third down. They also still do homecoming court, which I thought was cute. They crushed us though, maybe I'm just bitter.

Been to UA and had a lot of fun. Stadium right on campus, lots of grassy tailgating areas.
UCLA was also fun, and while the Rose Bowl is the Rose Bowl, it's got to be a bummer for them it's so far from campus. Also doesn't allow visitors to easily check out the campus.
Saw an NFL game at Sun Devil years ago (Chargers game that had been moved from SD due to wildfires). The place is a dump, I was not impressed at all with the stadium or the campus.

I went to ASU in 2007 - wasn't terribly impressed with the facility or the fans (ASU students = obnoxious) - I'm hoping to make it to all the Pac-12 venues at some point, though due to my schedule my roadie this year is going to be a non-conference game so I'll have to wait til next year to start ticking off the rest...I'm really looking forward to checking out Oregon, Washington, and Utah in future years...

Been to Tempe, Berkley, Seattle, Eugene (long time ago), and Palo Alto. May get to Tuscon this year. Depends on work schedule. Love any NorCal game as we use it as an excuse to get back to wine country. Also really like heading up to Seattle. We usually take a couple of days and go to the Olympic Penn.

So many great places to go and enjoy in the PAC! A lot of great roadies to come.

I've been to:
Husky Stadium (the game after Sal died). Crappy seats for the visitors. I'm always amazed at the huge roof structure. Obviously, a cool setting next to the lake. The fans either ignored us or were actually pretty friendly.
Autzen Stadium (the game Ed Reinhardt got hurt, and also saw a UO-UCLA game). Poorly attended games at the time, but the seats being so close to the field all the way around is kind of neat.
Stanford Stadium. Prior to the renovation, it was a huge old thing. Campus location is great, and the campus is very nice. Poorly attended even though "Touchdown Tommy" Vardell lived up to his name that day.
Rose Bowl. Tailgating on the golf course was cool. The stadium is a dinosaur, but, c'mon, it's the frickin' Rose Bowl. The setting is nice, and the UCLA fans were pretty good to us. Sucks that is is three area codes away from campus.
Sun Devil Stadium (2 Fiesta Bowls and a Broncos-Packers pre-season game many years ago). Total lack of character, short on amenities, and hotter than blue hades. Location on campus and near downtown Tempe saves it from being a total waste.
Arizona Stadium. Similar in age and setup to Folsom, but more nondescript in setting and architecture, it was memorable for the game rather than the experience. UA fans were probably the most friendly in my experiences.

Been to Washington and UCLA. The rose bowl was just awesome, Washington was just okay although it was cool taking a ship to the game.

Also did the Fiesta bowl disaster

Venturing to my 1st Pac location this year as we're going to SC to watch our boy's get destroyed...looking fwd to it nonetheless

Washington - Been there twice (the '89 Sal game; the embarrassing loss to Neuheisel). Love the setting, but with the track, the seats in the bowl were about 100 yards from the near endzone. The new stadium will not have the track, so it should be an even better venue ... and even louder.

UCLA - Concur about the Rose bowl. Nothing great about being in a crowd of 70,000 ... when it still feels like the stadium is empty. Still, it is the Rose Bowl, and a must stop for Buff fans.

Oregon State - the stadium in Corvallis is probably the worst in the Pac-12 (though I'll be going to the Washington State game this fall, so I'll reserve final judgment). Corvallis is a cute little college town, but no mountains, no ocean ... nothing going on really.

Arizona State - Went for the "Sandbox" Fiesta Bowl against Syracuse (the field was a mess). Nice stadium, but nothing about the campus impressed me all that much. Not interested in 90-degree football.

Utah - Driven by the stadium, but haven't been to a game there. Campus is nice (verrrry clean), with great views of the Wasatch Range. Sounds a lot like Ft. Collins ... and I have no problem turning the Utes into our little brothers!

Oregon State - the stadium in Corvallis is probably the worst in the Pac-12 (though I'll be going to the Washington State game this fall, so I'll reserve final judgment). Corvallis is a cute little college town, but no mountains, no ocean ... nothing going on really.

Speaking for the stadiums that I have been to (all but UofA and UU) Wazzu is definitely the worst of the lot. Rose bowl was cool but I was there for the SC vs Texas games so thats sort of expected. UW is load but the track was lame. Autzen is cool but only if your a duck. Reser is just a bunch of drunk hicks which I actually enjoy. The stadium isnt half bad though since they have redone it a couple of years ago. Coliseum is big but sort of in the hood (wont bother you if your used to LA). Cal isnt bad. I am interested to see what they have done to it. Stanford has a nice small stadium but the whole deal was sort of blah. Tempe doesnt do it for me. Seemed oversized for the crowd not unlike our RMS game. The Wazzu atmosphere is very similar to a beavs game just with a crappier stadium. I would also rather be stuck in Cornvegas than Pullman. Its a shorter drive to civilization.

With the renovations to most of the stadiums, in five years the trips to these stadiums may be completely different.

Went to Tempe in 2007. Basically all i remember is it being hot. At 10 PM. and being miserable.

I've also been to the Coliseum, I think it was 2006. I think USC was playing Stanford. Totally underwhelmed. Crowd was lame. Parking sucked. The stupid cheerleaders were mic'd up. That was obnoxious. The coliseum was a cool building in general though.

Tempe - hot and mostly devoid of much atmosphere. Granted, we were there the first week in September and it was 105 degrees at 10:00 PM...

Palo Alto - twice. Once pre-renovation, once post. The old place was, well, old. It had character, but a 80K stadium with 30K people is kind of depressing. The new place is gorgeous. The fans aren't particularly loud, but the pre-game tailgating is exceptional. Next to CU, Stanford has the best tailgating of any place I've seen.

I've only been to UA and ASU. I've seen a lot of games at UA, not the nicest amenities and not the most knowledgable football fans in the world. Good tailgating, though. Sun Devil Stadium is okay. Nothing to write home about except for pre and post-gaming on Mill. Should be interesting if they get it redone like they plan, though.

Future plans include all of the California schools and UW. Maybe Oregon after that.

Been to UW twice (Neuweasel embarrassment and this year) Lake Washington provides a nice view especially while you're getting smacked down. But that's been a n easy trip as we lived here both times.

Been to Tempe three times for the Fiesta Bowl with a 1-2 record. Liked it, but it's getting old.

Went to Eugene and Corvallis for the Buffs Oregon basketball swing this year. I honestly have to say I liked Corvallis A LOT better than Eugene. Eugene just seems meh to me and without Uncle Phil's money oozing from everything around there, Whoregon would still be ****. Plus, as I've said a thousand times before, their fans are complete johnny-come-lately first grade ASSHOLES! Am not going to the game there this year.

Corvallis reminds me a lot of Boulder minus the mountains. If the Buffs make a road trip there while we still live up here, I'm definitely headed that way.

Planning to make the Wazzu trip this year if coaching football doesn't get in the way. I like the Palouse a lot and we'll more than likely be renting an RV for sleeping/tailgating for the trip. I'll have the boys along though, so the Ruggedvision team needs to behave themselves for at least one beer! :lol:

Went to the UCLA game last year and with the exception of the game itself had a great time. The fans were fun, the golf course tailgate was a blast and it was the Rose Bowl. One of my best friends just moved to Seattle this week so hope to head up there in 2013. ASU is also on the agenda for that year as Phx is close to Vegas. A friend I went to the UCLA game with wants to go to the Coliseum this year, but I'm not sure I want to witness that beatdown. I think I'd rather wait a few years until we're competitive. Will be going to Fresno this year so I will get at least one roadie in, but probably won't be going to any PAC games.

Went to UCLA in 2002.Rose Bowl was super cool.Game started off pretty rough for the Buffs,caught some good natured ribbing and some blunt **** talking by different generations of fans between the 1st and 2nd quarter.The boys woke up after a halftime challenge by Tyler Brayton(if my memory serves me)and a happy ending for the Buffs making an already good trip,great.Again,the Rose Bowl was really awesome,great setting for a game.

Eventually would like to hit all the PAC,especially Stanford Oregon and Cal

i've been to usc, ucla, stanford, cal, asu, and washington. all have been fun in their own way. the only roadie i think may take me awhile amongst those conference venues i haven't seen is wsu. ... seems like it is pretty out of the way.

my favorite was probably CU v. ucla at the rose bowl. it was ****ing hot as hell out there in pasadena and we started drinking at like 6am at the tailgate. it was grim until halftime and then the Buffs just stepped up and physically destroyed the bruins. they flat out owned them and ucla hung their heads and basically quit from the pain, heat, and punishment. at the end of the game, there were more Buff fans in the joint than ucla fans. we all ran down to near the players and sang the fight song. that was probably the last really good road win i've seen. the cal disaster at berkeley was pretty much the polar opposite of that ucla game.

Utah game last year. SLC was an awesome place for an away trip. Big parties downtown before the game then everyone rides the trains up the hill to the stadium. The stadium itself is nice but nothing special. And even if you have bad seats they'll be pretty decent.

Last edited:
Back