What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PacHoops on Experience

absinthe

Ambitious but rubbish.
Club Member
Junta Member
By Adam Butler
www.PacHoops.com

Tuesday morning, colleague/friend/great hoops mind, Drew of RTC’s Pac-12 microsite dropped

a piece on your Buffs. The title of this piece was “Is It Time for Colorado Fans to Panic?” He

goes in on the Buffs’ less than aesthetically pleasing 1-1 start. His primary points of focus are on

defense, size, and Askia – three areas in which there could be cause for concern. You can read it

for yourself.

Now I’m a sucker for snap judgments and I love being irrationally all over the place particularly

early in the season. Hyperbole is a blogger’s friend. And mind you, this is how I operate, maybe

not necessarily Drew and I’m not going to go in on his article because it has its own merits.

But what it brought to mind for me was what Tad Boyle said right out of the gates about his

team:

We have got four returning starters coming back from last year's team. I think there's a little bit

of a misnomer in that we have an experienced team coming back…Last year we had experience

in seniors coming off the bench. This year we have six freshmen. 10 of our 13 players are

freshmen or sophomores. So we got a lot of youth. That's not going to be an excuse, but it's a

fact that we're dealing with in practice every day.

That, aside from the defense and the rebounding and the successes of Askia Booker, is what

Colorado is dealing with. And let’s also be honest with ourselves, Colorado basketball is

not the sexiest brand of hoop. Tad wants to and will grind the hell out of a basketball game

simply to ensure that his team can notch one in the left column. If your brand is already a little

bit mechanical and formulaic, then it most certainly is going to take time for roster of 77%

underclassmen to realize their potential. Hey, nerves happen and can often cause things like 7-of-

33 three point shooting.

As Boyle said, this will not be an excuse but I believe that it should be considered a point of

emphasis when evaluating this team. Where do you see small successes? What projects to

improve?

As previously discussed, these are new rotations and Tad Boyle is working with an allotment of

athletes new to him. Everyone is going to have a learning curve right now. Speaking of which,

I was reminded about how glowingly Boyle spoke of last season’s Europe trip. That jet setting

didn’t occur this year. Sure there was the new practice rules but there’s a certain je no sei quoi

about Europe (actually just got a LinkedIn request from a girl I met in Paris and kissed at the

Eiffel Tower. Sup.). Bonding, the road, logistics, the non-comforts of travel and the security

you find in the guy you know next to you, these are elements this team is learning on the fly

without the experience of an Andre Roberson or Sabatino Chen. Hell, even a Shane Harris-Tunks

because having been there and done that says something.

And if the majority of your roster hasn’t spent a lot of time playing Baylor an hour-and-a-half

from their campus? Well then sure there’s going to be some jitters and learning in equal parts

offensive schemes, defensive schemes, and exactly what-the-hell-is-going-on-oh-my-god-Isaiah-
Austin-is-huge.

It might not click perfectly tonight against Wyoming or Saturday against Jackson State. The

Gauchos could make a game of things on 11/21. But with each contest that these Buffs take the

floor, they’ll gain a greater familiarity with what they’re doing, who they are, and just how good

they can be.

Back