What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PacHoops: Welcome to 2014

allbuffs

Administrator
By Adam Butler
www.PacHoops.com

So I was just winning my Monday morning. Made a really good pot of coffee for the office, took down a

healthy and filling breakfast, even woke up feeling refreshed. Monday was a really good morning and it

all fit so routinely and nicely into all that I know. This is my life, pretty standard for a nine-to-five gig. It’s

predictable and not always boring. I know what’s going to happen.

So when the AP poll dropped and the Colorado Buffaloes were ranked ahead of Duke, North Carolina,

and UCLA’s combined 20 national titles, you might imagine my routinized little morning was shaken up.

TWENTY COMBINED TITLES. That’s some CU Buffs skiing right there.

Welcome to 2014, I suppose. This is the world we live in. Your Colorado Buffaloes are the 15th

team in the nation. Their highest ranking since the 1996 Buffs and every bit of it has been earned.

We’ve talked so much about the different facets of what this program is doing. From cultural shifts to

exercising demons, 2013 wrapped pretty fantastically for Tad Boyle and company.

But conference play now begins.

This is that time of the season when basically all scouting reports can get tossed out and the sleeves

get rolled up because it’s all business now. There’s a reason non-conference schedules are also called

the “pre-season.” It alludes to the fact that the season hasn’t even begun. We’re only through the

perfunctory shoe tying before actually getting into the game. The kind of games where you can draw up

a play that turns into a game winning dunk. The other way. (#Utah)

And this doesn’t change any of our dialogue. Not in the least. What Colorado has done this season is

taken care of business and it’s getting greater and greater recognition. One thing to note, recognition

is not why these games are played. Whether or not a pundit loves the Buffs is irrelevant. They will if

the W-column grows. It’s growing and projects to get plumper with three of the next four against >100

KenPom teams. And then Arizona.

That AP poll looks pretty shaken up; certainly within the context of our routines and expectations. But

like I said, it looks the way it does because the Buffaloes have made routine business out of beating

teams they should. A staple of in-conference success. A season ago, we watched as Colorado would play

to its opponent: Beat Oregon! Lose to Oregon State. What they’ve done to date suggests otherwise.

They’re playing good basketball and executing in the manner that will make them most successful.

Maybe that’s a little predictable, a touch boring to deliberately execute a coach’s orders.

But when the routine becomes winning, I ain’t complaining.

Check out Adam's look at the rest of the Pac-12 this week: http://pachoops.com/2014/01/week-1-pac-12-hoops-review-2/
And Follow him on Twitter: @PacHoopsAB

Back