What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Parade of Buffs

When you are throwing around words like “excellence” and “the best”, here are the top schools. I’d say that my statement is accurate: most have crap sports, with a few exceptions.

Harvard
Princeton
Yale
Columbia
U of Chicago
MIT
Stanford
Duke
Penn
Cal Tech
Dartmouth
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Washington Univ. in St. L.
Brown
Cornell Rice
Vandy
Emory
Notre Dame

Plus, I would not use Miami as an example of how a successful football program can enhance the schools’ overall reputation. Probably could say the same about a number of other schools. Frankly, Kentuky’s basketball program, and the way they run it, makes me think less of the overall school.
Why in the flying **** would you be bringing a bunch of Ivy League schools or schools who don't have football teams into a BCS conference thread? Stick to cooking that blue stuff with your massive ego.

you know Harvard can probably have an insane football team if they wanted to. They endowment sits at a little over $30 Billion dollars. They can throw a measly billion dollars at building facilities that NFL teams would envy and see if that entices recruits to get arguably the most renowned college degree in America and play in state of the art facilities at the same time.

Harvard dominates the Ivy League. In order for Harvard to have an "insane" football program, they'd have to completely change how they view the role of intercollegiate sports. They're perfectly content to kick Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown and Columbia's asses on a regular basis. They don't need the headaches associated with big time college athletic programs.

We do.

you know Harvard can probably have an insane football team if they wanted to. They endowment sits at a little over $30 Billion dollars. They can throw a measly billion dollars at building facilities that NFL teams would envy and see if that entices recruits to get arguably the most renowned college degree in America and play in state of the art facilities at the same time.

There are about 22 guys in the country coming out of high school that are Harvard-smart and really good at football. And about 20 of them go to Stanford.

Harvard dominates the Ivy League. In order for Harvard to have an "insane" football program, they'd have to completely change how they view the role of intercollegiate sports. They're perfectly content to kick Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown and Columbia's asses on a regular basis. They don't need the headaches associated with big time college athletic programs.

We do.

Plus, Ivy league does not give athletic scholies, i don't believe.

Why in the flying **** would you be bringing a bunch of Ivy League schools or schools who don't have football teams into a BCS conference thread? Stick to cooking that blue stuff with your massive ego.

Like I said, because the words "excellence" and "best" are being used.

Do you think Missouri is an "excellent" school? Ohio State?

Plus, Ivy league does not give athletic scholies, i don't believe.

While technically true, it's a smoke screen. With the endowments those schools have, they offer scholarships on a need basis. If there's a kid who can really play quarterback, and has decent grades, he won't be paying to go to school at any of those schools.

There are about 22 guys in the country coming out of high school that are Harvard-smart and really good at football. And about 20 of them go to Stanford.

I'm calling bull**** on that one. Yes Harvard attracts the best of the best academically, but they can lower their admission standards a bit for football and still get some really smart kids. Kids like Montee Ball from Wisconsin (all academic Big 10 3 times), AJ Klein LB from Iowa State (Big 12 defensive player of the year and 1st team big 12 all academic)

While technically true, it's a smoke screen. With the endowments those schools have, they offer scholarships on a need basis. If there's a kid who can really play quarterback, and has decent grades, he won't be paying to go to school at any of those schools.

Roger that, but they still have to go to class and do the work. I don't think Harvard offers the list of "classes" Kansas State can offer to their football players.

I'm calling bull**** on that one. Yes Harvard attracts the best of the best academically, but they can lower their admission standards a bit for football and still get some really smart kids. Kids like Montee Ball from Wisconsin (all academic Big 10 3 times), AJ Klein LB from Iowa State (Big 12 defensive player of the year and 1st team big 12 all academic)

You're pulling two names out of, what?, 10,000 division one football players. Sure, there are bright guys at other schools, no doubt, but how many of them are also studs on teh field? Pretty rare, i'm guess. And it's not just about being smart. You have to hit the books and do the work. Not easy with demands of top flight football.

Like I said, because the words "excellence" and "best" are being used.

Do you think Missouri is an "excellent" school? Ohio State?
That doesn't explain why you would bring Ivy League schools into it. They have an exceptional situation within those schools. Even funnier you brought up MIT, Cal Tech, U of Chicago, and others into it.

No Missouri and tOSU aren't excellent schools, but CU isn't a excellent school (ie. top 50 in the nation) either and CU is much more comparable academically to the schools I listed than they are to MIT, Cal Tech, U of Chicago, etc (listing ND was a mistake though, IMO), which I still think it laughable that you brought them into this discussion because I think it was pretty clear that Lefty was talking about BCS schools, not Ivy League schools and the only reason I put Furd, Cal, USC, and UCLA in there was because they are in our conference yet show that you can have excellent academics and excellent athletics. And by the way, here's the academic breakdown of those schools according to Forbes:

CU - #133
Michigan - #57
Ohio State - #188
USC - #95
Washington - #87
Stanford - #3
Cal - #50
Texas - #104
Florida - #80
Georgia - #125
Notre Dame - #12
Miami - #132
Georgia Tech - #135
Michigan State - #250
UCLA - #45
Wisconsin - #147
Iowa - #269
Missouri - #342

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

Most are pretty close to CU's academic ranking, yet all are much better at football than CU is. Not to mention a study done by a California-Berkely Economics professor about the correlation between academic success and athletic success in the majority of cases.

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/79251-Something-the-Admin-needs-to-read

Last edited:
Check out 'tini, backing up his sh*t with facts and stuff. Our little boy is growing up.

You're pulling two names out of, what?, 10,000 division one football players. Sure, there are bright guys at other schools, no doubt, but how many of them are also studs on teh field? Pretty rare, i'm guess. And it's not just about being smart. You have to hit the books and do the work. Not easy with demands of top flight football.

I gave you two examples, did you want me to fill out a full hypothetical roster for the hypothetical billion dollar BCS team at Harvard of top BCS quality players?

When you are throwing around words like “excellence” and “the best”, here are the top schools. I’d say that my statement is accurate: most have crap sports, with a few exceptions.

Harvard
Princeton
Yale
Columbia
U of Chicago
MIT
Stanford
Duke
Penn
Cal Tech
Dartmouth
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Brown
Cornell Rice
Vandy
Emory
Notre Dame

Plus, I would not use Miami as an example of how a successful football program can enhance the schools’ overall reputation. Probably could say the same about a number of other schools. Frankly, Kentuky’s basketball program, and the way they run it, makes me think less of the overall school.

Trivia Question: (no google!) What school produced the first winner of the Heisman Trophy? Who was that winner? Reps for both per first answer.

Hint: School listed above....

Here is today’s top 25 football ranking. How many are exceptional in academics on a relative basis?

1 Alabama (59) 4-0 1499
2 Oregon 4-0 1414
3 LSU (1) 4-0 1346
4 Florida State 4-0 1340
5 Georgia 4-0 1245
6 South Carolina 4-0 1147
7 Kansas State 4-0 1067
8 Stanford 3-0 1055
9 West Virginia 3-0 1045
10 Notre Dame 4-0 1003
11 Florida 4-0 864
12 Texas 3-0 856
13 USC 3-1 801
14 Ohio State 4-0 633
15 TCU 3-0 616
16 Oklahoma 2-1 611
17 Clemson 3-1 588
18 Oregon State 2-0 451
19 Louisville 4-0 414
20 Michigan State 3-1 348
21 Mississippi State 4-0 246
22 Nebraska 3-1 179
23 Rutgers 4-0 128
24 Boise State 2-1 114
25 Baylor 3-0 92

Trivia Question: (no google!) What school produced the first winner of the Heisman Trophy? Who was that winner? Reps for both per first answer.

Jay Berwanger. University of Chicago.

Here is today’s top 25 football ranking. How many are exceptional in academics on a relative basis?

1 Alabama (59) 4-0 1499
2 Oregon 4-0 1414
3 LSU (1) 4-0 1346
4 Florida State 4-0 1340
5 Georgia 4-0 1245
7 Kansas State 4-0 1067
8 Stanford 3-0 1055
9 West Virginia 3-0 1045
10 Notre Dame 4-0 1003
11 Florida 4-0 864
12 Texas 3-0 856
13 USC 3-1 801
14 Ohio State 4-0 633
15 TCU 3-0 616
16 Oklahoma 2-1 611
17 Clemson 3-1 588
18 Oregon State 2-0 451
19 Louisville 4-0 414
22 Nebraska 3-1 179
23 Rutgers 4-0 128
24 Boise State 2-1 114
25 Baylor 3-0 92
Are you going to address my post?

I also count nine of the teams you listed that I listed in my post on the previous page along with others who are in the same range I'm sure, just haven't checked.

U of Chicago. Haven't read beyond this post, so if somebody else beat me to it. screw them. :lol:

trivia just doesn't work well with on the internet when you can just google something.

Not a problem if you don't have to google it.... :smile2:

This.

My problem was that I'm not able to immediately jump on every post that's made. I get 3-4 times per day I can log on and spew my mindless drivel.

1 Alabama (59) 4-0 1499
2 Oregon 4-0 1414
3 LSU (1) 4-0 1346
4 Florida State 4-0 1340 - #193
5 Georgia 4-0 1245 - #125
7 Kansas State 4-0 1067
8 Stanford 3-0 1055 - #3
9 West Virginia 3-0 1045
10 Notre Dame 4-0 1003 - #12
11 Florida 4-0 864 - #80
12 Texas 3-0 856 - #104
13 USC 3-1 801 - #95
14 Ohio State 4-0 633 - #188
15 TCU 3-0 616 - #214
16 Oklahoma 2-1 611 - #218
17 Clemson 3-1 588
18 Oregon State 2-0 451
19 Louisville 4-0 414
20 Michigan State 3-1 348 - #250
22 Nebraska 3-1 179
23 Rutgers 4-0 128 - #198
24 Boise State 2-1 114
25 Baylor 3-0 92 - #213

So....yeah

Harvard
Princeton
Yale
Columbia
U of Chicago
MIT
Stanford
Duke
Penn
Cal Tech
Dartmouth
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Brown
Cornell Rice
Vandy
Emory
Notre Dame

My grandmother used to make Cornell Rice with gravy and fried chicken after church on Sundays...good stuff.

1 Alabama (59) 4-0 1499
2 Oregon 4-0 1414
3 LSU (1) 4-0 1346
4 Florida State 4-0 1340
5 Georgia 4-0 1245
7 Kansas State 4-0 1067
8 Stanford 3-0 1055
9 West Virginia 3-0 1045
10 Notre Dame 4-0 1003
11 Florida 4-0 864
12 Texas 3-0 856
13 USC 3-1 801
14 Ohio State 4-0 633
15 TCU 3-0 616
16 Oklahoma 2-1 611
17 Clemson 3-1 588
18 Oregon State 2-0 451
19 Louisville 4-0 414
22 Nebraska 3-1 179
23 Rutgers 4-0 128
24 Boise State 2-1 114
25 Baylor 3-0 92

Maybe tangential to the argument, but how many of those schools' overall reputations are enhanced by the quality of their football programs?

we really shouldn't let academics get in the way of a winning football program.

i know this is controversial, but if cal, stanford, ucla, and, yes, even usc (which are all in our conference and all are more academically respected than dear ol' CU) can do what it takes to win, then so can we.

to paraphrase the bear: no one ever put 100,000 people in a stadium to watch a math quiz.

football IS the bond that ties us to the school after graduation. it is the glue. it is the basis for a lifelong relationship with the school and, as our relationship with the school is strong, we deliver $$ to lots of different parts of the university, besides athletics. and, football is a great advertisement for the school. it brings in more applications. more applications means more selectivity in choosing your student base. more selectivity means stronger academic credentials of the students entering.

football is the very foundation of higher education, dammit!

ok, that last part might be a little hyperbolic, but you get the idea.

give me a winning football team! everything else will flow from that... roses will bloom! (rose bowl, baby), birds will sing (the fight song, baby!), rainbows will appear (this is the most beatiful campus on earth!), and wine will flow from the heavens (well, along with beer and whisky).

GO BUFFS!

Back