1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paulay Asiata

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

How much is he playing? I have no issues with burning the redshirt, but it does not seem like he is being used a whole lot. Anyone have any insight here?

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I think he's mostly being used on special teams. I agree that I'd like to see him used a lot more. Technique needs a lot of work, but I would have felt better running behind him on the goal line with things packed in and needing to move the LOS.

3. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

No insight here other than to say the depth here is so shallow, if there is a Frosh ready to play, play them. Learning by doing should be the approach here on out....

4. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Something like 25 snaps so that has to be what every single PAT/FG we've tried this season?

5. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Supposedly was injured. But, should just plug him in instead of Adkins iyam

6. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

If he's only playing special teams then it's dumb to burn his redshirt.

7. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I don't understand why he isn't playing for Adkins. Technique or not, it's not like he can do much worse than Adkins manages. He's literally 4 yards into the backfield on half of our run plays.

8. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Latest depth chart has him getting hurt in the Oregon game

Duff Man likes this.
  9. krom

krom Club Member Club Member

I think red-shirts are a luxury item. When a team sucks as bad as CU right now with little to no depth, then red-shirts are something that can't be afforded. If you aren't hurt and you are able to contribute, then sprout some nuts and get the **** out there. With the amount of seniors graduating and the transfers that would be expected from guys that can't cut it, we will need all the experience we can get.

azbuff likes this.
  10. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Well of course.

11. Buffnik

Agree. I think there's part of this that's also an effort to build class balance at certain positions. We are redshirting 3 OLs (Nembot, Cotner, Mustoe) and we only had 2 in our R-freshman group (Munyer, Crabb) with 3 in the sophomore group (Handler, Harris, Bakhtiari). I think it made sense to move 1 into that R-FR group and the decision was made that it would be Asiata. Unfortunately, we had a rash of injuries to our OTs when Bakh, Harris and Dannewitz all went down at the same time and we had to play Lewis. I think if the coaches had known that Lewis would be playing this year that they would have redshirted Asiata.

12. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

When you are at your 9th game of the season - if there are any players who HAVE NOT played at this point, DO NOT PLAY THEM NOW.

If a redshirt has been saved for this long - it should be kept until the end of the season.

13. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

I agree - "I think red-shirts are a luxury item" nothing luxury about CU in about 6 years now!

14. Darth Snow

NIce theory nik, but I don't think it holds water. Lewis was slated to be the backup LT in game 1 before going down with the flu. He started game 3. Harris went down in game 3 or 4. Asiata played in game 5 ish.

15. Buffnik

You're right about Asiata (I was thinking he played early. I may have had him confused with Austin Vincent.) Lewis playing was completely due to Bakhtiari being out for the Cal game and then both Dannewitz and Harris going down in that game. We were down to Tau and ??? at that point if we didn't put Lewis in the game. The plan was to redshirt Lewis while using Dannewitz as the primary backup and Tau as the emergency guy.

16. Darth Snow

What I think the real problem is that Asiata was always going to play this year and hopefully work his way in to the starting line up, but had a shoulder injury during camp (embo has specifically mentioned this) and now has another shoulder injury from the Oregon game.

17. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Who let Doc Kries (sp.) back on campus?