What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ped State penalties reversed by NCAA

http://abcnews.go.com/US/penn-state-settles-25-lawsuits-brought-jerry-sandusky/story?id=20069117

They still have some others outstanding but they are trying to settle as many of them as they can with as little publicity as possible.

On one hand these victims get some compensation without being dragged through a trial and all the publicity. On the other hand this limits the ability to discover and compensate other victims and to publicly hold PSU accountable for letting this happen in the first place.

I'm ok with that. Sandusky has been punished. That was the important one. The need for further vengeance is much less relevant than the need to make things as easy on the victims as possible while getting them as much help and recompense as possible.

NCAA please never change. USC was hit harder for paying their players market value than Penn State was for covering up decades of child molestation. I bet by the end of the decade their gonna be enough joe paterno revaunchism, the statue will be back up and the university will reclaim the wins like Alabama claims 50 different championships.

Joe Paterno stadium?

I'm ok with that. Sandusky has been punished. That was the important one. The need for further vengeance is much less relevant than the need to make things as easy on the victims as possible while getting them as much help and recompense as possible.

Agree. Sandusky isn't going to end up serving more time if we find and publicize other victims and the victims we know of have suffered enough without having to re-live it again under cross-examination for the world to see.

I thought the original punishment was light. Although they cleared house, and probably have instituted certain controls around the camps and locker room, I am disappointed that they aren't sticking to their ruling. This means any future rulings will always be appealed and will cause punishment inflation to be negotiated back down. What incentive does the NCAA have to relax the penalty?

Have they settled the cases for the administrators that were charged?

I thought the original punishment was light. Although they cleared house, and probably have instituted certain controls around the camps and locker room, I am disappointed that they aren't sticking to their ruling. This means any future rulings will always be appealed and will cause punishment inflation to be negotiated back down. What incentive does the NCAA have to relax the penalty?

Have they settled the cases for the administrators that were charged?

http://newsinpenn.com/where-the-cri...raham-spanier-stands-no-news-is-well-no-news/

Looks to me like they are trying to continue to delay the criminal cases to a point where they can quietly just slide them under the rug. Just my take on it.

I think lots of our disappointment comes from the fact that CU seems to be the only program to be seriously derailed by scandal and punishment in the last 20 years. It is frustrating to watch all these programs get hit with things that were significantly worse than our situation, yet they come out smelling like roses.

I think lots of our disappointment comes from the fact that CU seems to be the only program to be seriously derailed by scandal and punishment in the last 20 years. It is frustrating to watch all these programs get hit with things that were significantly worse than our situation, yet they come out smelling like roses.

Which is why CU's issue has been an administrative issue. Name the frustration from facilities to PR to admissions to donor culture to AD revenue from stadium events to coach & AD hires to whatever... the problem is at the top.

I think that might be part of it, and I know it pisses me off. However, Penn State involved kids. There were many calling for the death penalty for the program, and just two years later, it's all over? This reminds me of the NFL and the 4 game beer drinking suspension vs. the previously given 2 game domestic violence punishment. It just doesn't add up or make sense.

I think that might be part of it, and I know it pisses me off. However, Penn State involved kids. There were many calling for the death penalty for the program, and just two years later, it's all over? This reminds me of the NFL and the 4 game beer drinking suspension vs. the previously given 2 game domestic violence punishment. It just doesn't add up or make sense.

Agree with this completely.

We are talking about letting kids lives be wrecked to avoid bad publicity for a football program.

It's about punishing the culture of the football program there. Those crimes should rest on every single alum and fan who idolized Paterno et al and fostered a culture where people like that could do that for DECADES. The program should have received the death penalty, but alas, all is right in the NCAA. Ped State is free.

It's about punishing the culture of the football program there. Those crimes should rest on every single alum and fan who idolized Paterno et al and fostered a culture where people like that could do that for DECADES.

I think a lot of people don't like admitting it, but the point of a lot of these punishments is to punish the fan base. The fans are ultimately the ones who incentivize administrative decisions. And Penn State fans incentivized a lot of probably pretty smart people to cover up child rape.

It's about punishing the culture of the football program there. Those crimes should rest on every single alum and fan who idolized Paterno et al and fostered a culture where people like that could do that for DECADES. The program should have received the death penalty, but alas, all is right in the NCAA. Ped State is free.

I think a lot of people don't like admitting it, but the point of a lot of these punishments is to punish the fan base. The fans are ultimately the ones who incentivize administrative decisions. And Penn State fans incentivized a lot of probably pretty smart people to cover up child rape.

It is both.

The administrative decisions were based on maintaining the support of the fan base who ultimately generate most of the revenues.

The decision to ignore Sandusky was made by Paterno with the blessings of those who should have been his bosses based on a desire to avoid bad publicity for the program.

They should have been shut down for at least a year to force both the fan base and the administration to recognize that priorities were twisted in a manner that should never be allowed to happen.

They also needed to send a message to other programs that this kind of reasoning in decision making has serious risks to the program. A season of an empty stadium would have driven that message home.

Back