1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PEDs and Alabama, and what that means for CU

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Gold, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Gold

Gold Well-Known Member

Watching the game last night, I couldn’t help but think about 1998. The year McGuire and Sosa were bombing homeruns left and right. The fans, writers, and ESPN were all saying “ooooh” and “aaaah”. But they should have been saying:

Wait a minute.

Something seems fishy here. The SEC and corruption go hand in hand, but it’s usually about pay for play from boosters. In this case, what I saw last night went beyond that.

This is the era of blatant performance enhancing drugs in college.

If we’re waiting for ESPN to crack the case, forget it. They’re too busy gushing over Alabama’s 3rd BCS title, and Florida, and Cam Newton. Money that changes hands for that network for these games is too high to disrupt the system. But I have a feeling that eventually they will all have astericks.

What we saw went beyond your normal football game. Alabama was throwing Notre Dame players around like rag dolls. This is not normal. It was the equivelant to McGuire and Sosa slamming back to back homeruns on 98MPH curveballs.

[​IMG]

Don’t confuse what you saw last night with heroics. This was chemically engineered football. And it’s being played by a team in a conference where you “win at all costs”. I think we know what that means now. Use PEDs. Beat your opponents. The crowd won’t know the difference.

We’re too busy saying how great Saben is, and how can we get that kind of “speed”?

Questions:

1. Do you think Alabama and other SEC teams uses PEDs?

2. Would you be OK with CU using PEDs if that meant a national title?

Had to go all John Stossel on this.

2. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Interesting point. I'm surprised the NCAA doesn't do testing for PED, but if there's a candidate for use it's Bama and the SEC. Mostly sucky schools...all they have is football.

3. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

Questions:

1. Do you think Alabama and other SEC teams uses PEDs?
    Yep.

2. Would you be OK with CU using PEDs if that meant a national title? Not really, CU would probably get caught anyways.

Great post by the way. Been thinking similar thoughts since that AP article on 'roids came out last month( http://news.yahoo.com/steroids-loom-major-college-football-182028506--spt.html )

I was more convinced watching the LSU/Clemson game. LSU appeared significantly bigger/faster/stronger than Clemson from the first snap. Clemson's been recruiting the same level of athlete as LSU has, I figured they could match them physically, but it didn't look that way. Clemson was lucky to come out of that with a win, by basically having better skill players(a QB), and well, an offense.

4. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

We've discussed this recently. The NCAA testing program sucks. To me, the biggest problem in football, and this is just a supposition, is HGH. The only reliable way to test for it is with a blood analysis. Until they start doing blood testing, football players will be getting away with it.

5. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I worked with a guy who was one of the first black players at aTm back in the 60's. He invited a friend from the vet school to a team dinner. At the beginning of the food line there was a bowl full of "vitamins." The player took a couple and his vet school pal said, "What are you taking those for." He said, "These are vitamins the coaches want us to take." His pal said, "J.T., those aren't vitamins. Those are animal growth hormones." Oops.

J.T. said he could see himself getting bigger but hadn't put 2 & 2 together.

6. duaneallman8

duaneallman8 Member

Yes, it is happening, I wonder by what measures. Are some players using with everyone else looking the other way? Is there an organised team program?
    On cheating of another subject, I was dumbstruck and embarrassed by recently listening to a Trent Richardson interview. There is no way someone with that kind of grasp of the English language has any change of legitimately passing a basic English/writing/composition class.

7. bigbang2

bigbang2 Typical, brain knowledge or the ability to have a

Do they test for PED in Colege?

8. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

I'm sure CU never had those players...

9. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Oh yeah, the whole SEC is a huge academic joke, worse than the BIG10! No way all those Cletuses can even read at a 6th grade level, let alone do college work, even if they did red-shirt 8th grade to give 'em another year of HS eligibility.

Those 'Bama players were on another level physically and it wasn't because of S&C superiority.

10. AeroBuff99

AeroBuff99 Club Member Club Member

Maybe PED's are the "Program" that everyone mentions when they talk Saben.

11. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

I'm sorry, did you just say "worse than the Big 10" as if that conference is the standard for academic futility?

12. Bama Charlie

Bama Charlie Well-Known Member

I love you douchebags thought experiments on weight training, greyshirting, and every other thing your team and conference suck at. Notre Dame was an overrated team that played nobody to get the MNC and they were beat soundly by a very physical team therefore all Bama players are on 'roids.

Do you people even like tackle football?

13. Bama Charlie

Bama Charlie Well-Known Member

BTW USNWR has UA ranked above CU.

14. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I love football. Both college and pro. I really do not want to know how many players are on PEDs across the country, at both levels. I doubt any real fan does.

And I know you will ignore this post and continue to troll. Oh well.

15. Quattro

Cute

16. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

You are such a cute troll.

17. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

"Weight training", I remember when Nebraska had a fabled S & C program. Turns out they were just juicing, well, more than everybody else anyways. It's not much of a thought experiment, just a common assumption in these situations that usually turns out correct.

18. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I'm kind of there as well. Hell, even CSU players were doping

19. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

The biggest issue is all the kids in high school (and most likely even middle school in some places) that are on PEDs.

20. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

It happens everywhere, there's probably even some guys at CU that have done them or are currently thinking about them. Hell, given how slow we've been over the past 6 years I wish we had more.

Just kidding. Sort of.

21. Darth Snow

I've heard some rumors about a certain CU LB (not playing anymore) that did that in order to get big enough for big time college ball.

22. Quattro

[Redacted]

/2char?

23. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

sucks we have to wait until 2015 for the bcs playoff. notre dame did beat a very good stanford team but i agree they were overrated. would rather have seen oregon vs bama but still think bama would have won it all. were people saying neebraska was roided up when they won 3 out of 4 back in mid-to-late 90s?

24. Darth Snow

love how everyone forgets that ND had a little ref help with that Stanford victory.

25. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Yes

26. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

And against Pitt:

http://chicago.sbnation.com/2012/11...e-been-penalized-for-overtime-jersey-gaffe-vs

27. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Active Member

PEDs are rampant in college football, schools rarely test for them.

28. Waldo

Waldo Original Copy Club Member

not sure where you are getting your data but I can assure you from 2000 to 2005 you could count on one hand the number of players @ CU who used PEDs before or during their CU careers.

29. Quattro

If you don't think they're not rampant then I don't know what to tell you

30. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

As CU fans, we're on somewhat thin ice with this line of reasoning.

Stanford held ND to a lower point total in regulation then Alabama, but had nowhere near the offensive firepower (read as offensive line and Lacey) to put points on the board against the Irish.