1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phil DiStefano Launches Advisory Panel to Explore University Funding

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Elected Officials and Polit' started by Buffnik, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Studies have predicted that Colorado will run out of funding for higher education within a decade.

“Whether it's three, five or 10 years, we can anticipate, and we must plan for, zero state funding,” DiStefano said at a state of the campus address he delivered in the Glenn Miller Ballroom. “And that planning will require us to come together as never before.”

The council will include members of the campus community and external members who have no ties to CU. DiStefano, in an interview, said he plans on having the group put together by the end of the semester.

2. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

So, if we get no state funding, then what obligations do we have left as a public school? The land the buildings are on?

3. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

I guess it's part of the inevitable US decline...

4. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

The land. The buildings. All of the items and equipments within the buildings. Anything in which the "University of Colorado" has any type of ownership or property interest is actual owned by the State of Colorado.

5. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I wonder if there is a way to generate interst that drives an increase in applications and donations? Hmmm, what could possibly do that?

6. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

The CU Foundation had a record year for donations during the 2011-2012 academic year. $228.6 million in private donations.

And that was with a ****** football team.

7. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Has a public school ever gone private before and what does it take? What would the process be looking like?

8. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

I nearly wrote the same thing except it began, "if only there was a way..." but same sentiment.

@Nik:

I think the dropping a letter thing was only for the thread about movies, but I'm still not sure how things work around here.

9. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

If CU goes private, charging different tuition for instate versus out-of-state might become illegal.
    What would CU look like if everyone were charged the same amount...say $25K per student?

10. Buffnik

Something is out of whack with tuition. I wish I knew what was driving this, but it's been increasing at a faster rate than medical costs.

[​IMG]

11. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

It would be interesting to see what % of that is driven by state institutions receiving less government support.

12. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Student loans...

13. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

definitely a factor, there is a great Econmist article on the correlation between government making them "cheaper" and tuition ramping up.

14. AeroBuff99

AeroBuff99 Club Member Club Member

Sure would be nice to be one of those schools that had a football program that was good enough to generate enough funding that it could feed back into the school.

15. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Are any major state flagship schools private? They only one I can think of is the University of Pennsylvania who's hardly one of the major ones as far as sports teams are considered. Delaware is unique in that it's private but gets some public assistance, so they're kind of a mix of public and private.

16. Buffnik

Penn is not a state university. Never has been. (Founded when we were still colonies.)

There's been a lot of talk about PSU going private, though. Michigan may also be forced into it.

17. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

We're nearly at zero state assistance right now. This isn't something that they're just now having to deal with. The enterprise status they received a couple years ago allows them to act like a private institution while retaining the privileges that come with being a state institution. In short, I see this as a positive. Yes, it will mean increases in tuition, which is very unfortunate. In the long run, it should make CU stronger.