What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phil DiStefano's got to go

i don't understand "the plan."

this has been my biggest beef with CU for years. if they want us to donate and support them, they must understand that successful folks typically don't do that "unconditionally." we need to be advised as to how they intend to achieve greatness.

if distef has a master plan, then this would be a very good time to share it with all of us donors, alums, and the entire CU community. bohn was far from perfect but i don't understand the timing of the termination at all.

based upon credible news reports, it seems neither the donors nor president benson own this decision. it was distef's. he owns it. so what's the plan?

i know it is a stretch to ask him, after 3 decades of doing everything he can to avoid talking to us, to articulate a plan, but now that he's stuck his foot into this, he's got to be accountable.

I'll tell you you right now why he "owns" the decision. He didn't like Bohn's hire of MM because "the Head Coach and his staff are too much like football coaches."

Interpret - MM and his crew are actual coaches, not pawns to the wishes of the Boulder academic elite of which DiStef is firmly entrenched.

I made a pledge that I'd send in a donation following any CU athlete or team winning a NCAA championship. I made good with my promise following Emma Coburn's 3000M steeplechase title. I specified in the comments section that my donation is in recognition of Emma's outstanding athletic accomplishment directed towards the Sustainable Excellence Initiative - Facilities.

I received a reply from the CU Foundation that confuses me. It makes absolutely zero reference to athletics. Maybe they are referencing another gift? For what gift am I being thanked? I guess I better write back and ask.

Dear Skidmark,

On behalf of CU-Boulder, I want to thank you for your recent gift to the University.

Here in the Campus Programs/Parent Fund Office of the CU Foundation, our team works with donors to programs across campus, including those in Administration, Financial Aid, the Office of the Chancellor, the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement (ODECE), Student Affairs, and Undergraduate Education. That means we have a unique opportunity to witness the difference that philanthropic investments like yours make in supporting students’ educational opportunities and campus resources across the board.

We take great pride in knowing that CU will grow stronger because of your support. If you have any questions about your gift, please contact our office at 303.492.xxxx, or by e-mail at [Redacted]@cufund.org.

Every gift truly does make a difference. Thank you again for your support.

Sincerely,

I am surprised they wrote back to a guy named skidmark, but that aside, isn't there some prohibition against taking earmarked gifts and using them for another purpose? IIRC, that is what got Jim Bakker in trouble and when I was on the board of a 501 (c)(3), we were asked to all contribute and give an unrestricted gift. We were told by the Executive Director our gifts, and all other unrestricted gifts, went to administrative costs since the foundations with which we dealt, and from whom we solicited donations, almost always restricted gifts to the delivery of the particular philanthropic endeavor we served. Wouldn't that apply to the CU Foundation? Or am I misinformed?

I thought this was an over reach. If The UNC AD is Cu's new AD, then I am on board.

When I saw the Bohn Firing, I thought, okay, Benson finally has seen the light and he is letting Bohn go and PD will follow him with a retirement anouncement in 6-8 months.

If the biggest fish CU can land is the UNC AD, after paying a decent AD a million to walk, then PD needs to retire immediately, rather than being allowed a graceful exit.

I don't know for sure, but he was probably successful in the alcohol classes that followed the DUIs.....(allegedly).

Ever since DiStiff arrived at CU & based on his track record I'm convinced he has a serious crack habit. And they should have fired the people that hired him too!!!

I thought this was an over reach. If The UNC AD is Cu's new AD, then I am on board.

When I saw the Bohn Firing, I thought, okay, Benson finally has seen the light and he is letting Bohn go and PD will follow him with a retirement anouncement in 6-8 months.

If the biggest fish CU can land is the UNC AD, after paying a decent AD a million to walk, then PD needs to retire immediately, rather than being allowed a graceful exit.

I would say he needs to be ran out of town on a rail, except I don't know if that has any racist connetations. Wait..he is white, so I can say he should be hung, right? Hung upside down while tarred and feathered? Oh, this is fun.

All joking aside..... PD should not be leading this charge. He should be fired too. Benson at least raised a carpload of money for the hospital. If he can raise the money to get the new facilities, then I am ok with him. Sorry it too him so long to realize that football is the national face of the University, and should be treated as such in importance. It is the commercial to get the CU name out to the people that are not familiar with the school. When that commercial is a joke.....then it doesn't matter how good the school is. Perception is everything. Benson needs the right people in place. PD is not the right person. MB was much more the right person than PD, but both can be improved on if BB takes this seriously. Letting PD fumblecluck around doesn't help matters I fear.

DiStefano is a major bumbler. I've said this ever since he was appointed chancellor. I don't know of anything he has done for academics or athletics that has been positively significant. Colorado's administrators have been sorely lacking substance for far too long. The combination of Hoffman and Byyny was about the worst I've seen.

Last edited:
DiStefano is a major bumbler. I've said this ever since he was appointed chancellor. I don't know of anything he has done for academics or athletics that has been positively significant. Colorado's administrators have been sorely lacking substance for far too long. The combination of Hoffman and Byyny was about the worst I've seen.

sensible shoes bitsy and her yapping lap dog bynny were horrible. i thought we upgraded with their departures but it hasn't really appeared so. if distef makes a great hire here maybe he will be thought of in a different light.

Michael Krumholtz: Would you like to be considered for the position on a long-term standing?

Ceal Barry: The job hasn't even been advertised or posted. So they haven't even gotten to that point yet.
smh. :bang:

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1516140

However, she refused to say she wanted the job. people might be worried for nothing here.

It's a really great interview, actually. I think this part is true:

Ceal Barry: I think we've had great success in our individual sports. I think our team sports, where there are spectators, we have opportunity to improve in all of our spectator sports. So those are team sports of football, soccer, volleyball, men's basketball, women's basketball. We won a championship in 2012 in men's basketball in Tad's second year. I think that's the expectation level to raise the expectation level that Colorado is about winning championships.

If you're going to win a championship, everybody has to work harder. You can't set the bar and think you're going to win a championship. And I'm not talking about the sport coaches because there's only 11 coaches. And we employ well over 100 staff (members). If you're going to win a championship you have to have collective engagement, collective involvement, collective sense of urgency might be the best (phrase). If you're going to win a championship. One person can't do it. Tad Boyle can't win a championship without the over 140 staff members chipping in. I think we can raise the bar. We should not just settle for having a program. That is why we exist. That is why we run our programs.

Last edited:
Utter fail on the part of CU. Literally zero progress in two weeks? :sigh:

Also it sounds like DiStefano has pretty minimal interaction with the AD, and the only interaction the CU AD has with university administrators is mainly budget related.

Also it sounds like DiStefano has pretty minimal interaction with the AD, and the only interaction the CU AD has with university administrators is mainly budget related.
Yup. Basically he wants to pretend there is no AD, sounds like. "Ceal, fix the budget, and I will check in on you every now and then. Otherwise, keep things quiet."

Is this really a bad thing? Can't say that I'd want this chancellor highly involved with the AD.

Seems like doing the budget would be fairly common for the start of a new fiscal year where we finally receive all the PAC 12 money...?

Is this really a bad thing? Can't say that I'd want this chancellor highly involved with the AD.

DiStephano wants input on the big decisions (he wants to own popular decisions), but cares little about anything else. Big problem in my eyes.

The entire problem is that he really does not care... until has to care (or at least pretend to care). All that means in the end is that he never really makes any tough decisions.

Seems like doing the budget would be fairly common for the start of a new fiscal year where we finally receive all the PAC 12 money...?

Yes that's fair. However, we're less than 6 months away from our facilities deadline and we're making no progress towards a new AD. The new AD might have ~3 months to try to come up with $50Mil. Mike Bohn is probably laughing right now

DiStephano wants input on the big decisions (he wants to own popular decisions), but cares little about anything else. Big problem in my eyes.

The entire problem is that he really does not care... until has to care (or at least pretend to care). All that means in the end is that he never really makes any tough decisions.

Yep. It's a pattern.

And like a broken record, the only thing I ask of Phil DiStephano is to be all in, heart and soul.

He can start by saying, "My legacy will not be complete until CU football makes goes to the Rose Bowl. I own up to my role in what happened since 2005. I did not adequately energize the fan base. To make up for it, here is my plan and my vision. This is what I plan to do. [insert plan and vision.] For this plan to work, this is what I need from Buff Nation. [insert action item and tracking mechanism.] Go Buffs!

We need an online "no confidence" petition. Benson needs to tell the populace why Phil is the chancellor.

Yep. It's a pattern.

And like a broken record, the only thing I ask of Phil DiStephano is to be all in, heart and soul.

He can start by saying, "My legacy will not be complete until CU football makes goes to the Rose Bowl. I own up to my role in what happened since 2005. I did not adequately energize the fan base. To make up for it, here is my plan and my vision. This is what I plan to do. [insert plan and vision.] For this plan to work, this is what I need from Buff Nation. [insert action item and tracking mechanism.] Go Buffs!

You will be waiting a long long time for that speech. Instead I offer the inner voice:

"why can't these scumbag fans just go away? I dont care about football. Or any of it really. It is just a big disaster waiting to happen. Why doe we even need big time sports at a university? And if the asshole fans want it so badly then they can figure out how to fund it without the schools help. I wish I didn't have to deal with this. Scandals, complaints, none of it is really very interesting to me. Lord, if I can just make it a couple more years to pad my retirement without anything blowing up in my face. Why can't they all just shut up about sports. It isn't about sports. Maybe I should have another cocktail.... Damn these idiots to hell with these ridiculous goals and expectations. Yawn. I'm getting sleepy....."

Yep. It's a pattern.

He can start by saying, "My legacy will be complete if CU football is completely killed off. I have not adequately energized the fan base and do not care. Here is my plan and my vision. This is what I plan to do:
1 - Fire Mike Bohn
2 - ???
3 - Profit

For this plan to work, this is what I need from Buff Nation. $50 million with no strings attached.

Uhh, go Buffs?
fify

I made a pledge that I'd send in a donation following any CU athlete or team winning a NCAA championship. I made good with my promise following Emma Coburn's 3000M steeplechase title. I specified in the comments section that my donation is in recognition of Emma's outstanding athletic accomplishment directed towards the Sustainable Excellence Initiative - Facilities.

I received a reply from the CU Foundation that confuses me. It makes absolutely zero reference to athletics. Maybe they are referencing another gift? For what gift am I being thanked? I guess I better write back and ask.

Stunning. Your money went elsewhere IMO.

I am surprised they wrote back to a guy named skidmark, but that aside, isn't there some prohibition against taking earmarked gifts and using them for another purpose? IIRC, that is what got Jim Bakker in trouble and when I was on the board of a 501 (c)(3), we were asked to all contribute and give an unrestricted gift. We were told by the Executive Director our gifts, and all other unrestricted gifts, went to administrative costs since the foundations with which we dealt, and from whom we solicited donations, almost always restricted gifts to the delivery of the particular philanthropic endeavor we served. Wouldn't that apply to the CU Foundation? Or am I misinformed?

I got to close the loop here. The response I got back clears things up. My thank you is for a charitable contribution to a specific academic program. It's legit.

I have an automatic deduction that comes out of my pay check. My company aggregates the amount and pays CU on a quarterly basis. The letter from CU trailed the quarterly payout.

Orr looked at a nekkid Jessica Haun for nothing.

I got to close the loop here. The response I got back clears things up. My thank you is for a charitable contribution to a specific academic program. It's legit.

I have an automatic deduction that comes out of my pay check. My company aggregates the amount and pays CU on a quarterly basis. The letter from CU trailed the quarterly payout.

Orr looked at a nekkid Jessica Haun for nothing.

good stuff.

So what is the little man up to these days? Sure not putting much effort into getting the AD secured. What a buttscud asshat. My opinion has been known for a while. Time for this douche bag to go.

Back