What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phil Steele Blog - Returning Players/Yards/Experience

jgisland

Club Member
Club Member
Phil Steele had a a ton of posts on his blog today. I wish he didn't have any, they were all very depressing if you are a CU fan.

A couple of the low lights:

Combined Experience Chart

CU is dead last, 124th of 124 teams.

TotalSeniorSeniorSenior% LTR% YDS% TKLOL CAR
RankTeamExp PtsStrs2 DeepExp PtsReturnReturnReturnSTRS
124Colorado37.8604358.70%22.30%62.30%51

Returning Letterman/Lost %

CU is 119th. They return 44, lost 31 for 58.76% returning.

2 Deep Class Breakdown

This is a breakdown done by 2 deep experience, CU is dead last, 124th of 124 teams.

% of Yards Returning

CU is 122nd, with 22.34% returning. While is isn't noted, I am sure that number accounts for Richardson returning, so take his receiving yards out and I am sure CU comes in at # 124.

% of Tackles Returning

If there is a highlight this is it, CU returns 62.31% of tackles and comes in 69th.

the upside is we pretty much sucked last year so it is not like we are losing our #1 offensive ranking or anything.

we were 92nd in the country at 346.4 yards per game. 52nd in passing yards per game and 106th in rushing yards per game. To round out or offense we finished 109th in points per game with 19.8

Last edited:
Look on the bright side of things as well. Given that we went 3-10 perhaps it's not a bad thing we're don't have very many guys that are returning. If we are going to suck again this year it's best to do it with younger guys who have more upside than not.

Doesn't mean this board isn't going to go up in flames after we get torched by a couple of teams again this year.

Look on the bright side of things as well. Given that we went 3-10 perhaps it's not a bad thing we're don't have very many guys that are returning. If we are going to suck again this year it's best to do it with younger guys who have more upside than not.

Doesn't mean this board isn't going to go up in flames after we get torched by a couple of teams again this year.

Absolutely agree, but it is still nice to have a little experience returning no matter the talent level of it.

what is the deal with steele... why is his word god?

These are just stats, Steele isn't "saying" anything.

Absolutely agree, but it is still nice to have a little experience returning no matter the talent level of it.

These numbers do not account for the loss of richardson, ad that in and we get even worse on the yardage front.

This is my opinion but if Hawkins would of been replaced after the 2009 season - the 2011 season would of been a lot better with a large senior class that would of been coached up. Instead it ends up being a transition year leading into who knows what. I am hopeful of 6 wins but that is counting on a lot of guys stepping up.

I see this and just shrug my shoulders. Nowhere to go but up in this case, and if anything this allows Embree to make the transition to "his" guys faster.

This is my opinion but if Hawkins would of been replaced after the 2009 season - the 2011 season would of been a lot better with a large senior class that would of been coached up. Instead it ends up being a transition year leading into who knows what. I am hopeful of 6 wins but that is counting on a lot of guys stepping up.

6 wins? can i have some of what you are smoking?

Transition year I can buy. Having the worst offense in the conference by a good margin, with experience just about everywhere no less, was much tougher to accept.

no no... i dont understand what the big deal is about steele

Transition year I can buy. Having the worst offense in the conference by a good margin, with experience just about everywhere no less, was much tougher to accept.

We were 11th in Total offense (Utah was worse). We were last in scoring offense...I really believe a lot of the issues were a lack of mental toughness which was reflected in a poor 3 rd down efficiency. When the team needed a play no one made it. That is my hope for this year...guys step up and make plays when we need them.

Well here we are. Welcome to rock bottom, statistically speaking.

There is only one direction to go from here.

i was basically asking why you drool on his nuts every time his magazine comes out

some good ****! He's picked the national champion like 4 of the past 6 years. And he picked us as a surprise national title contender in his 2001 preview after a 3-8 season.

These numbers do not account for the loss of richardson, ad that in and we get even worse on the yardage front.

If we're dead last in returning yards, and spreading reps between 3 quarterbacks, expect us to have a LOT of turnovers in 2012.

Hey when does experience matter? tc.I mean on offense we wouldn't be better with Toney CLemons, Rodney Stewart, Tyler Hansen e

Last edited:
He also has the best track record of all the preview magazines when it comes to preseason predictions.

The reason is because he is the one studying and writing these previews, while the other mags have local writers send in info about each team. Steele knows college football. Here is what he looks at every Saturday in the Fall.

Phil_Steele_TVs_large.jpg

what is the deal with steele... why is his word god?

As mentioned before he didn't say anything and you can always find a stat to spin things your way. Experience is a huge plus in sports though. Not to mention maturity (think physical and mental strength).

There's a reason NBA and baseball teams use statistics to pick up players.

You can imply what Steele was inferring--that we'd be a bad team--but that's also an assumption. We were bad last year. Awful actually. Really ******.

But the only thing you can say with any certainty right now is that he said we are going to be very inexperienced.

In his power rankings he has us at 89. Only Kentucky and Indiana are worse. I hate to piss in the Kool Aid.

In his power rankings he has us at 89. Only Kentucky and Indiana are worse. I hate to piss in the Kool Aid.

Well expectations here are those of a lot of 35 year old alums that were here during the 90s. If Embree goes 19-19 like Sark at UDub I wonder if we'd want him out. It took UDub a while to get even back to were they are--which isn't great by their historical standards--and they seem to support football better than we are currently. Ugh.

I'm starting to worry that in terms of record we haven't hit rock bottom yet. I'm sure we'll see improvement on the field this year, but it cold also be another 2-4 win type of season. If we are making progress on the field and we start recruiting better then I'll be content. Not happy, but content.

Back