What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phil Steele Blog - Returning Players/Yards/Experience

To go 19-19 from here is optimistic to say the least.

Yeah. We'd have to average around an 8-4 the next 2 seasons. If he gets to .500 before he's lost 20 games, we'll all be naming our children "Embo".

Well expectations here are those of a lot of 35 year old alums that were here during the 90s. If Embree goes 19-19 like Sark at UDub I wonder if we'd want him out. It took UDub a while to get even back to were they are--which isn't great by their historical standards--and they seem to support football better than we are currently. Ugh.

I'm starting to worry that in terms of record we haven't hit rock bottom yet. I'm sure we'll see improvement on the field this year, but it cold also be another 2-4 win type of season. If we are making progress on the field and we start recruiting better then I'll be content. Not happy, but content.

19 -19????

Were you the guy i had to listen to at Coors last season argue how we were going to open the season 6-0?

I think that it should be noted that we go from playing PS's #1 toughest schedule in 2011 to #32 toughest schedule in 2012. We have an extra home game, 2 less road games, and go from playing 2 first year HC's to playing 6. These factors should make for a big difference.

I think that it should be noted that we go from playing PS's #1 toughest schedule in 2011 to #32 toughest schedule in 2012. We have an extra home game, 2 less road games, and go from playing 2 first year HC's to playing 6. These factors should make for a big difference.

We also get a bye week too. We also finished 4th or 5th in the nation last year in terms of games missed by starters because of injury. Unlikely, that'll happen 2 years in a row.

I wouldn't call our lack of returning starters a bad thing necessarily. Those were starters who routinely got beat.

We'll be young this year. But we'll have great experience in 2 years.

Is this really news to anyone?

Buffs will be favored in the first two games before the season starts. We don't return the depth, seniority or (proven) talent that WSU and Fresno State do (never mind AZ, ASU, UCLA and Utah).

As difficult as that is to comprehend, we are not expected to be better than Fresno State and WSU, despite them having new staffs. Can we beat all of the above? Potentially. New staffs at 5 of those 6 will help. But we are in a period where our talent level (measured by proven talent and not ignoring recruiting rankings for the last 5 years after netting out departures) is just not really better than WAC level.

We got some young guys that I think can make up the difference (maybe) and hopefully, we have a QB who will play better than most first year QBs.

It's WAY too early in the JE era to be expecting 6 wins and a bowl. It could happen, but 3-4 wins is more likely and shouldn't derail the building of the program. It's not how many he wins, it's the perception of where the program is heading that recruits care most about. National writers are expecting nothing from the Buffs so it's all upside. NEVER EVER underachieve or it will be difficult to get players here. Embree needs to outperform expectations and thus, I am all for keeping the expectations low during the preseason (publicly anyways).

Last edited:
3-4 wins? That's mean zero progress against a much easier schedule. Not buying it one bit.

(you also have made the same post at least five times)

Every preseason magazine I've ever bought (or fantasy sports guide, for that matter) claims something about being the most accurate.

I'm talking about being so proud of it like Steele. You responded to a reply that was saying how much it's bolded. Hell it's on the front cover and every other page.

I'm talking about being so proud of it like Steele. You responded to a reply that was saying how much it's bolded. Hell it's on the front cover and every other page.

I thought I was responding to claims it is the best, not font size. I missed the point.

Our goal should be to make a bowl game. With that kind of experience returning in 2013, that would be a huge deal.

Back