What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phil's comment to Regents on race - WTF?

My take FWIW...

If our athletes truly do have these thoughts I'm glad that Phil took the opportunity to speak on their behalf at what would seem to be an appropriate time. I don't believe trying to suppress or bury the sentiments of our minority students, as some posts are hoping, is a sound or just plan.

Having said that, I want nothing more than this thread to be pruned and locked until we have more information. There's nothing constructive that will come from a predominantly white, middle class, and aging group sitting around discussing the troubles that young black men and women might be having as they adjust to the life of a college athlete. Our opinions on how the situation should be handled or how NCAA athletes should feel are largely invalid.

I look forward to hearing more from the players and from university leadership as to how we can improve the lives of these young men and women, in Boulder and across the nation.

My take FWIW...

If our athletes truly do have these thoughts I'm glad that Phil took the opportunity to speak on their behalf at what would seem to be an appropriate time. I don't believe trying to suppress or bury the sentiments of our minority students, as some posts are hoping, is a sound or just plan.

Having said that, I want nothing more than this thread to be pruned and locked until we have more information. There's nothing constructive that will come from a predominantly white, middle class, and aging group sitting around discussing the troubles that young black men and women might be having as they adjust to the life of a college athlete. Our opinions on how the situation should be handled or how NCAA athletes should feel are largely invalid.

I look forward to hearing more from the players and from university leadership as to how we can improve the lives of these young men and women, in Boulder and across the nation.
To suggest that only those people facing a problem can solve the problem is a problem, IMO.

My take FWIW...

So it's okay for Phil to assert CU Football is the front porch of racism at our alma matter, but people who support the football program don't have the necessary racial and nor age credentials to respond?

How exactly do you propose this thread get pruned?

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil is a total moron who has nothing better to do than to stir the pot and push his politics.

If you're going to take this one off coment about a plantation seriously, I suggest you review all the opinions of the players on all matters. Just my guess, but you may find that many of these young men say a lot of rediculous stuff. As most all of us did at that age.

Most important thing on all this is the internal impact.

Internally, Phil demonstrated that he is willing to listen, he strongly empathizes, and he is willing to take action.

In short, CU athletes, particularly minority athletes, were told yesterday that the Chancellor of the university has their backs.

That is a very good thing.

Also, it's been awhile since I took history class, so I Googled slaves on plantations.

So far, I haven't found any with a $100 Million in facilities, air conditioning, unlimited wellness, unlimited free food and nutrition , high level education, all free nike gear and exposure to fame and fortune.

I'll keep looking, because we MUST consider these comments as a serious issue.

Most important thing on all this is the internal impact.

Internally, Phil demonstrated that he is willing to listen, he strongly empathizes, and he is willing to take action.

In short, CU athletes, particularly minority athletes, were told yesterday that the Chancellor of the university has their backs.

That is a very good thing.
There are, other, more controlled ways to demonstrate that

There are, other, more controlled ways to demonstrate that

Absolutely. Hence my "WTF" in the title to this thread. Word choice was bad. Could have been handled so much better. I'm just saying that I believe this comes from a good place and that the people who matter in the discussion will see that.

I hope someone with some PR skills sits down with Awuzie and Sefo prior to their Media day interviews. They can be great spokesman for CU. Both are minorities and very intelligent. They should speak honestly, but unquestionably can do so and still place CU in a positive light. Making the comment prior to Media Days may actually focus more attention on CU than would have been otherwise, attention that could become very positive if handled well.

So it's okay for Phil to assert CU Football is the front porch of racism at our alma matter, but people who support the football program don't have the necessary racial and nor age credentials to respond?

How exactly do you propose this thread get pruned?
To suggest that only those people facing a problem can solve the problem is a problem, IMO.

Is that what we are doing here, solving the issue?

It appears to me that it's more broad speculation, hyperbole, and talking out of school.

It appears to me that it's more broad speculation, hyperbole, and talking out of school.

Seems to me we are responding to Phil DiStefano's dog whistle. Phil solicited a conversation about inclusiveness in a February YouTube video. Soliciting a conversation on this subject is exactly the type of lead-from-behind approach that Phil DiStefano uses time and again. He uses his role as chancellor as a catalyst to bring people together to talk about this issue. Phil is trying to open a dialogue. Right or wrong, this IS his approach to solving the issue.

Well, I certainly hope that this is part of a well-structured communication plan, and that we're ready to unveil an innovative new program. It would be unfortunate an conversation to hold under national media scrutiny without a broader plan.

Sadly, I'd be surprised if that was the case.

Seems to me we are responding to Phil DiStefano's dog whistle. Phil solicited a conversation about inclusiveness in a February YouTube video. Soliciting a conversation on this subject is exactly the type of lead-from-behind approach that Phil DiStefano uses time and again. He uses his role as chancellor a catalyst to bring people together to talk about this issue. Phil is trying to open a dialogue. Right or wrong, this IS his approach to solving the issue.
Don't be disingenuous. You're constantly waiting for any possible Dr. Phil misstep in order to grind your axe some more. Rather than address the issue facing our student athletes at CU, you're taking the opportunity to lob insults and accusations at DiStephano that I don't believe are warranted in this case. Phil addressed an issue facing many college communities while attending a summit on diversity.

Don't be disingenuous. You're constantly waiting for any possible Dr. Phil misstep in order to grind your axe some more. Rather than address the issue facing our student athletes at CU, you're taking the opportunity to lob insults and accusations at DiStephano that I don't believe are warranted in this case. Phil addressed an issue facing many college communities while attending a summit on diversity.
I don't think anybody here is saying it's not a conversation we should be having. But what appears to be an off-cuff remark with vague anecdotal support is not a prudent way to initiate that conversation.

Instead you make an announcement that CU Athletic Department, a leader in innovative leadership development, has carefully studied issues the surrounding race and college sports and we have a three-pronged program designed to address minority student concerns.

This is how my company would handle it. Diversity training until you puked, and not just the ones you sit there and listen, it would be the break up into groups and get involved style.

This is how my company would handle it. Diversity training until you puked, and not just the ones you sit there and listen, it would be the break up into groups and get involved style.
Role playing. Vomit. At my old company, BP we had someone deface a pride poster on campus and we all got a 3 day seminar as a result.

I can see how you might see my posts in that light.

But keep in mind that I am responding to Phil's plea for people to talk about inclusiveness.

I have introduced the topic of collective bargaining for NCAA athletes to this thread.

I am proposing DiStafano align with Bill McCartney to address a topic in which both leaders are passionate about.

I have raised issues about STEM programs that are not diverse, and the existence of racially inappropriate fraternity party themes.

I have raised the question about how the Campus and Boulder PD are addressing race issues in the context of the larger national narrative.

Any of these topics are fair game, and hold equal relevance as the Plantation story.

You, on the other hand, advocate sweeping this important topic under the rug. It appears you ignore the debate and focus on what you perceive to be my petty vindictiveness.

That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

I don't think anybody here is saying it's not a conversation we should be having. But what appears to be an off-cuff remark with vague anecdotal support is not a prudent way to initiate that conversation.

Instead you make an announcement that CU Athletic Department, a leader in innovative leadership development, has carefully studied issues the surrounding race and college sports and we have a three-pronged program designed to address minority student concerns.
Situations like you're proposing rarely happen and can be even messier. Let's follow the chain of events for what you said.

Phil releases a statement stating exactly what you suggested- what do you imagine the national and local response to be?

I can already see the comments here. "Why is Dr. Phil creating an issue where there doesn't need to be one?" "This is going to kill recruiting by making it strictly a Boulder issue". Or, "some event must have sparked the study. What happened?" "The athletes must be experiencing severe racism on a daily basis."

Instead, Phil attended a summit on diversity and raised a concern on the behalf of our student athletes. He's going to bat for our guys and women and the discussion can now be framed on a national level.

I can see how you might see my posts in that light.

But keep in mind that I am responding to Phil's plea for people to talk about inclusiveness.

I have introduced the topic of collective bargaining for NCAA athletes to this thread.

I am proposing DiStafano align with Bill McCartney to address a topic in which both leaders are passionate about.

I have raised issues about STEM programs that are not diverse, and the existence of racially inappropriate fraternity party themes.

I have raised the question about how the Campus and Boulder PD are addressing race issues in the context of the larger national narrative.

Any of these topics are fair game, and hold equal relevance as the Plantation story.

You, on the other hand, advocate sweeping this important topic under the rug. It appears you ignore the debate and focus on what you perceive to be my petty vindictiveness.

That's a bold strategy, Cotton.
I'm certainly not advocating to sweep anything under the rug, quite the opposite.

I'm suggesting that the conversation begins with the athletes and the University, not with a bunch of middle aged white guys on the Internet. I'm self aware enough to realize that I can't fully appreciate their position and everyone is best served allowing them to have their own voice on this issue without me or anyone else clouding the real issues.

Once I hear the greviences and proposed solutions I'll be more than happy to weigh in.

Was the irony of those two sentences intentional?

My point was that societal issues should be addressed by society, not just specific groups. I recognize them as necessary and potentially useful, but I'm not a big believer in institutional solutions or the violent pendulum swinging they can cause. I'm more of an individual responsibility and grassroots kind of guy, the Golden Rule, if you will. Some problems can only be mitigated, human nature being what it is.

Awareness of problems is key, Dr. Phil went about it in the wrong way.

I'm certainly not advocating to sweep anything under the rug, quite the opposite.

I'm suggesting that the conversation begins with the athletes and the University, not with a bunch of middle aged white guys on the Internet. I'm self aware enough to realize that I can't fully appreciate their position and everyone is best served allowing them to have their own voice on this issue without me or anyone else clouding the real issues.

Once I hear the greviences and proposed solutions I'll be more than happy to weigh in.

I agree with you that the opinions of students and university employees should be weighed above a bunch of middle aged white guys on the internet.

It's also true that the middle aged white guys and others reading this thread are stakeholders in the success of CU athletics. Labeling posters like you have done minimizes the ecosystem that can also be described as ticket holders, boosters, C-Club members, alumni, fans, students, parents of players, and ex-football players. If you choose to label me and everyone else participating in this conversation as merely middle aged white Internet posters, that's your perigative.

It's my perigative to call that perspective out as short-sighted and ignorant.

I agree with you that the opinions of students and university employees should be weighed above a bunch of middle aged white guys on the internet.

It's also true that the middle aged white guys and others reading this thread are stakeholders in the success of CU athletics. Labeling posters like you have done minimizes the ecosystem that can also be described as ticket holders, boosters, C-Club members, alumni, fans, students, parents of players, and ex-football players. If you choose to label me and everyone else participating in this conversation as merely middle aged white Internet posters, that's your perigative.

Did Bobby Brown teach you nothing?

Edit: I meant spelling. Engineer, right?

Last edited:

I could be off base, but it seems like you're more interested in appropriating this issue in order to rail on seperate and more peripheral issues within the AD.

Also, im not stating that everyone on AB is a middle aged white male, but I would bet the data supports that an overwhelming majority are.

At any rate, I'm bowing out of this thread until some more info comes to light. Nothing good can come of this right now.

Doesn't look like the AD was happy with the way Kuta reported on this:

Edit: Looks like the first tweet was deleted. (It included the hashtags: #donotreadthecamera and #inaccurateinfo

Doesn't look like the AD was happy with the way Kuta reported on this:

Edit: Looks like the first tweet was deleted. (It included the hashtags: #donotreadthecamera and #inaccurateinfo

Do you have a screen shot? these aren't loading for me anymore

Back