What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Photos from today's scrimmage (Daily Camera)

He has extremely long arms, so not sure he will ever look filled out. I don't know, just spit ballin here.

Heard he has been making plays all over the place, so far this spring.

I really like his potential as a playmaker. I thought he had some really bright moments last season. I really don't care how he's built, as long as he's making plays in the backfield.

But every time I bump into him, I have to remind myself that he's among the front defensive seven.

That hasn't been announced even though a lot of us expected it (myself included). HCMM talked about Gilbert yesterday as if he saw him as primarily a speed rusher. That could still mean a 3-4 OLB, of course. It's not like guys such as Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter and James Harrison were known for their coverage skills as 3-4 OLBs.

He's definitely one of those "tweener" guys at 6'4" 230 lbs. He has kind of an Aldon Smith-type frame, minus about 30 lbs, and would fit that 3-4 rush OLB. Not sure what his speed is at now, compared to high school when he was running 4.58, but he's definitely the type of athlete we need on the field.

From BG BRooks today:

Gilbert is healthy — he dealt with shoulder injuries last year — and he’s spending more time standing up as an outside rush linebacker. His freshman year, he played mostly with his hand in the dirt as a defensive lineman.

“Played some 3-4 in high school,” he said. “It’s more natural to me, but at the same time I still have to be able to put my hand down and stop a tight end or a tackle if I need to. I just like playing.”

As the Jack (the pass-rushing outside linebacker in a 3-4) Wednesday, Gilbert was at times unblockable. He flustered the first-team offense and often left offensive tackle Stephane Nembot visibly and audibly frustrated as he left the field.

I would hope so; Gilbert really struggled as a DE defending the read option.

That's a coaching issue iyam.

Youth and coaching issue for sure. He's going to face some of the same things as a 3-4 OLB (still a C Gap player) as he did as a 4-3 DE, though. The QB will still be reading him at the mesh point (depending on which way the play's going) and either giving the ball or pulling it based on what he does. Hopefully we'll see an improvement with the added year of exp, infinitely better position coach and DC, and playing from a stand up alignment.

Back