What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pick a 12-Pac rival

I was able to look at 8 seasons out of the last 10 before the Uah website got jiggy. It looks to me like they both had the same number of winning seasons. Utah had 4 bowl wins, 2 bowl losses and 2 seasonswith no bowl game. Huskers had 5 bowl wins 2 bowl losses and one season with no bowl.

I love the Utes esp when they do well and get beat by Boise. But there is now way they are the football legacy that Nebraska is. That is without mention of Nebraska baseball, swimming and diving, gymnastics, softball. basketball. There is no way Utah athletics are on a par with Nebraska.

Yeah, but Nebraska is a rival in 1 sport. We don't play most of the sports on your list and our basketball team doesn't consider Nebraska a rival. At least with Utah, I can see us developing a full rivalry that crosses over to other sports we have in common.

And I don't mean to downplay the Nebraska rivalry. A lot of great memories over the past 25 years it's been a rivalry for CU (and that's about the exact timeframe I've been old enough to really follow college football).

Utah is one of the few schools that consistently fields a good ski team too. If I'm not mistaken our ski team's rivals are DU and Utah, so there really is a chance to have a rivalry across the board with Utah.

It's Utah. The other 10 schools are paired up already:

AZ-ASU in-state rivals
UCLA-USC LA rivals
Cal-Stanford Bay-Area rivals
Oregon-OSU in-state rivals
WSU-UW in-state rivals
Utah-CU what's left....... Mtn rivals?

Tough one, Id like to say USC or Oregon. I gotta say UCLA though, at least as long as Slick is there.

That was pretty much exactly what I was going to write. Only my order is:
UCLA, Oregon, then USC. But I root for USC over Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State.

Washington State. Because apparently the reason I'm for a move to the Pac-10 is because we need a sucky conference. And picking a sucky new rival is the logical first step to solving all our problems...

Nothing will ever top the following sign held up at Folsom during a Bugeater game:

"If you can read this, you must not be a Nebraska fan"

The utes are going to be our rival, so we need to wok on ammunition. So far all I've got is "My wife can kick your wives' asses". Gonna take some time.

Yeah, that's a funny sign...until Stanford uses it against us.

Yeah, that's a funny sign...until Stanford uses it against us.

They are brutal about that. We were at the a Cal/Stanford watch party here in LA and a couple of drunk assholes were giving my a ton of **** (them Cal/her Stanford) finally she looks at one of and just says "listen you can talk all the **** you want, but the fact of it is, I got in and you didn't."

They are brutal about that. We were at the a Cal/Stanford watch party here in LA and a couple of drunk assholes were giving my a ton of **** (them Cal/her Stanford) finally she looks at one of and just says "listen you can talk all the **** you want, but the fact of it is, I got in and you didn't."

oh_snap.gif

Nobody, all the Pac-10 teams other than USC bore me. And I can't say USC because I like them. Hopefully we won't have to worry about it anyway.

Nobody, all the Pac-10 teams other than USC bore me. And I can't say USC because I like them. Hopefully we won't have to worry about it anyway.

Oregon doesn't piss you off just a little? they made BSU look like world beaters, they break more laws than Osbourne's Huskers and less people care, they steal our recruits, and they have that whole Nike-ATM cash machine.

Oregon doesn't piss you off just a little? they made BSU look like world beaters, they break more laws than Osbourne's Huskers and less people care, they steal our recruits, and they have that whole Nike-ATM cash machine.

I do hate their uniforms, I'll admit that. I like their traditional ones they used to wear, but they'll never go back to those full-time. Looking back, it does piss me off now that they choked against a severely over-rated BSU team.

We gotta work in something with Utah how it is just unnatural to not have the mountains on the west, have a lake full of salt, Jazz in Utah? and numerous wives.

We gotta work in something with Utah how it is just unnatural to not have the mountains on the west, have a lake full of salt, Jazz in Utah? and numerous wives.

the mountain thing might now work, when we go west we get to ski, and true they get a ****ty salt lake, but when they go east they get to the Wasatch, and well we get to Nebraska and Kansas.

Interesting, because almost ALL of the Pac 10 teams (except Wazzu) fascinate me. If I had to do undergrad again, I'd go to any of the 9 other schools, easily.

The conference I hate is the SEC. The academics are poor, sports garner too much attention, and the South is not a fun place to live for a northerner.

The early favorite has to be whoever we would hypothetically be entering the conference with, hopefully Utah since they are already a rival in the books (they were CU's Nebraska before Nebraska). Otherwise, it would depend how the divisional breakdown occurred, and whoever was in our division would be higher on the rivalry scale immediately. Everyone who mentions UCLA (presumably b/c of Newweasel) should reconsider b/c Slick Rick will surely job hop again by 2012 (and also b/c CU will never overtake USC as their rival, ever).

Like others, I would like to know how/why you think the conference switch is a done deal? I hope so, but lots of hurdles to leap first, not the least of which is securing an invite...

Like others, I would like to know how/why you think the conference switch is a done deal? I hope so, but lots of hurdles to leap first, not the least of which is securing an invite...

All indications are that if the Pac 10 decides to expand, and if Colorado is extended an invitation, and if the Pac can offer CU a financial plan that works... then CU will join the Pac.

Those are pretty big ifs, though. I think it's likely, but the Pac has to vote unanimously in order to add new members. That's a big hurdle.

I've done some informal polling of people I know who are pretty close to the AD. To a man, they all say that this would be a good thing. That doesn't mean they have any particular sway in the discussions, but I believe the move is nearly universally supported by people whose opinions are respected. I think there's a definite sense that we've seen our conference hijacked by Texas, and there's nothing we can do about it other than to take our ball and go play with somebody else.

I also believe that we wouldn't be hearing all this discussion about expansion from the Pac 10 had they not already tossed the idea around amongst conference members. They aren't going to come out and say 'we're looking at expansion' if they haven't already discussed the matter. I think we're a lot closer than we think we are. All this discussion the last 3-4 weeks has been in reaction to trial balloons sent up by both the Pac 10 and CU. They want to make sure they're not proposing something that will be rejected, so they're testing the waters. Judging from the reactions I've gotten, the water is great, it's time to jump in.

If Utah fans are anything like their BYU brethern then it will be easy to hate Utah.

lick the beavers!

beat the beavers!

flog the beavers!

the possibilities are nearly endless...

oregon state will be one of my favorite conference games, for sure. the chants alone will be epic. i witnessed this chant phenomena at a usc v. oregon state game awhile back... even adult women in the crowd were nearly crying from laughing so hard at the creative ways you can express what you want to do to the beavers.

Washington, UCLA, ASU, or Utah.

Everyone will hate us when we win the conference the first year anyway.... right? RIGHT?!

lick the beavers!

beat the beavers!

flog the beavers!

oregon state will be one of my favorite conference games, for sure. the chants alone will be epic. i witnessed this chant phenomena at a usc v. oregon state game awhile back... even adult women in the crowd were nearly crying from laughing so hard at the creative ways you can express what you want to do to the beavers.

I dont get it... Whats funny about a furry little thing that chews on wood?

Oh wait.....

It would be hard to start an in-conference rivalry with any of the existing teams because of the way they're already paired up. Utah would be solid, as we have a history with them dating back before my time and we wouldn't have to eliminate any new colors from our wardrobe or our homes. The others would be a little tougher to start, but I do like the idea of playing many of these schools almost annually.

USC: Road games on the turf where we've recruited some of our top players over the years starting with Coach Mac. Wouldn't hurt if they stay bowl game good for the next few years but down enough where we can win a game in the Coliseum with high school athletes watching from the stands.

UCLA: If the current staff stays around, we could have Hawk v. Weasel for the "Do you want your program destroyed now or later?" Cup.

Stanford
: Academics, playing against the color red, and CU's established familiarity with tree.

Cal: The college town Boulder draws the most comparisons to, though on the academic side they would be our new K-State.

Arizona: The Greg Brown Bowl.

Arizona State: I like this one. Love Phoenix, plus should we beat them in the regular season and make a bowl in the area we can travel back in January remind them. Similar student body demographics (big out of state draws and fine feelin' women). Though on the academic side they would be our new Tech.

Oregon: Lots of hate stemming from the 2001 Fiesta, wide receiver coach Scott Frost and recent head-to-head recruiting battles going in their favor.

Oregon State: Can't think of much here, other than the fact that we seemingly have every recruiting advantage over them yet I find myself envying them as a program currently relative to where mine is at.

Washington: As another poster detailed here months back, this is a football program pretty similar to ours in market size, history (top of the sport late 80s/early 90s, massive rollercoaster since, Neuheisel) and academics as the state's flagship school. Would really enjoy developing a long-distance rivalry with them.

Washington State: Identical to CU in that both schools suspended operations of their football program the last 5 years.

i just got cut off on my bike at Arapahoe and 30th by some dickcheese in a hybrid with a big "O" Oregon logo on each bumper and and a Oregon in the goofball script on the back window. he's blocking the turn lane for bikes and leaves me stranded in the intersection. i make a "hey, why not back up so you aren't blocking the crosswalk" gesture and he smirks like "i do what i want". doesn't do anything. then, almost hits a pedestrian (who is rightly trying to get around him) when the light changes. buttwrench Duck poop stain.

today it's UO.

i can see a healthy "lifestyles" type rivalry with UU. UCLA will always have the Slickster factor for a bit.

Washington State: Identical to CU in that both schools suspended operations of their football program the last 5 years.

ouch. pretty good synopsis all around. funny thing about CU and Cal....at least on the academic side. all through the 80's and when i first came to CU as a grad student in the late 90's the admin position was that CU was a smaller, kinder, gentler version of Cal-Berkeley. but, around the time Albino got fired, the interim, and in the Buffalo Bipsy tenure.....CU started to want to compare itself to UW-Madison or Michigan at least in things made available to the public....as far as a smaller, kindler, gentler and aspirational peer institution.

eventually, it became a political move to distance CU's image from the Churchill thing and the perception that CU was encouraging "anti-americanism" in an institutional way (in the classroom) that one might associate in a superficial way with the image of Berkeley in the 60's. but, it was happening before that too.

ironic, in a way....since i think most of us like the Pac move idea and would be substantially less into a Big 10 move.

Last edited:
lick the beavers!

beat the beavers!

flog the beavers!

Ralphie Eats beaver for breakfast!!!

I was able to look at 8 seasons out of the last 10 before the Uah website got jiggy. It looks to me like they both had the same number of winning seasons. Utah had 4 bowl wins, 2 bowl losses and 2 seasonswith no bowl game. Huskers had 5 bowl wins 2 bowl losses and one season with no bowl.

Incorrect. UTAH is currently on a nine game win streak, the longest active bowl win streak in the nation, with regard to Bowls dating back to 1999. Fresno St (Las Vegas '99), USC (Las Vegas '01), Southern Mississippi (Liberty '03), Pittsburgh (Fiesta '05), Georgia Tech (Emerald '05), Tulsa (Armed Forces '06), Navy (Poinsettia '07), Alabama (Sugar '09), California (Poinsettia '09).

Back