What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pick your top candidates for DC!

Choose your favorite of top 4 candidates (according to Rivals)

• Gibbs

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • Pendergast

Votes: 61 54.5%
  • Orlando

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • Seto

Votes: 19 17.0%

• Total voters
Get me a guy that gets recruits interested and can recruit Texas. Jeffcoat was a great player but as a coach and recruiter, I have seen very little.

Orgeron (then if MM doesn't work out, we have a new HC in the wings)
Barry Odom from Memphis
Todd Orlando from Utah State
Todd Grantham from Louisville

How much influence will RG exercise here? Does he have any ties in the available market?
Can't imagine RG has a lot of ties...been out of CFB for a while now. MM does have many contacts...plus coaching is a pretty small fraternity. I'm guessing he knows some possible candidates and is on the phone with his buddies seeing if they would recommend someone. This is exciting...if we pick the right guy I can see us actually improving next year.

Can't imagine RG has a lot of ties...been out of CFB for a while now. MM does have many contacts...plus coaching is a pretty small fraternity. I'm guessing he knows some possible candidates and is on the phone with his buddies seeing if they would recommend someone. This is exciting...if we pick the right guy I can see us actually improving next year.

I would guess the influence George would have is in trying to get a bigger splash. He's probably trying to free up money in the budget so they can get the best possible candidate.

Wasn't Manny Diaz the one who was brought in to save Texas and then got canned because the defense regressed?

Yes...that d did look horrid at Texas, but LA Tech looked good on D. He'd be a risk.

I like Gary Gibbs if he would come...he has coached under some good ones...currently LB coach at KC.

Last edited:
RG's role is to find the big money.
Big money specifically for these hires, or more to leverage this situation into increased donations/salary?

My my gut tells me MM has the connections to bring in someone decent, but might not be able to convince a big name by himself. I guess we will see - hoping the shake-up benefits the Buffs in the recruiting game.

If MacIntyre needs more money for the right coach, George will find it for him

From phone

Just goes to show in my mind that the reports of 2 coaches leaving were correct. Baer would not be heading to UNLV from CU without a push. Good sign and the main change I was hoping for.

[tweet]547148363993325568[/tweet]

Interesting. I think this is exactly what we need.

Probably reading into it too much, but MacIntyre started following Kalani Sitake from Utah on Twitter in the last day or two. He'd fit the bill on all accounts. Doubt it happens for a multitude of reasons, but would be nice...

Probably reading into it too much, but MacIntyre started following Kalani Sitake from Utah on Twitter in the last day or two. He'd fit the bill on all accounts. Doubt it happens for a multitude of reasons, but would be nice...
That would be quite the big boy move.

Why? He only makes $500K at Utah and we can afford more than that. He played at BYU so it doesn't seem like he'd have the loyalty to Utah that he would BYU.

That would be an interesting hire. Would get a kind of meh reaction from a lot I think because Utah's defense was kind of meh. Not a dynamic change.

Why? He only makes $500K at Utah and we can afford more than that. He played at BYU so it doesn't seem like he'd have the loyalty to Utah that he would BYU.
He was not extended after last season and is allegedly upset by that. He is a very good Poly recruiter. I would love this if it happened. The Kids like him, and he might counter Gary Anderson and the Run he is going to make in Utah, where wwe are making a little head way. That said, BYU and OSU are allegedly coming after him as well.

I heard some chatter about Gary Anderson going hard after him.....I'd be thrilled if we could get him!

Utah had a excellent defense this year
statistically not really.

One of their best stats is keeping 9/12 opponents under 30pts. However Utes gave up avg 5.2yds/play 60% completion and 86% redzone scoring. They did limit opponents to 36% on 3rd down conversions which is good.

Tied 72nd in yards allowed
Tied 74 in yards per game
89 in passing yards allowed
54 in rushing yards allowed
58 in points allowed

No doubt an improvement over CU defense this past year, but USU D did much better statistically.

Biggest bonus for getting him would be the recruiting boost as he is said to be good in that area. Would also be nice to poach from a P5 school

Last edited:
statistically not really.

One of their best stats is keeping 9/12 opponents under 30pts. However Utes gave up avg 5.2yds/play 60% completion and 86% redzone scoring. They did limit opponents to 36% on 3rd down conversions which is good.

Tied 72nd in yards allowed
Tied 74 in yards per game
89 in passing yards allowed
54 in rushing yards allowed
58 in points allowed

No doubt an improvement over CU defense this past year, but USU D did much better statistically.
Nice research, some more numbers...

Adjusting for the competition (USU is in parenthesis)...
PPGA: 22.8 (23.3)
DFEI: 14 (30)
DS&P+: 46 (33)
DF/+: 38 (59)

Probably can't go wrong with either

Nice research, some more numbers...

Adjusting for the competition (USU is in parenthesis)...
PPGA: 22.8 (23.3)
DFEI: 14 (30)
DS&P+: 46 (33)
DF/+: 38 (59)

Probably can't go wrong with either

Probably can't. Think USU DC might grab more attention nationally because of the year that D had (top 50 most categories), but UTAH DC would turn a lot of heads in the Pac-12 footprint.

Manny Diaz and Duane Akina are good coaches but they have both been put in position of calling the plays in the Big 12 and it didn't go well either time. CU would have to go big bucks and entice either with a paycheck and a co-DC title while bringing in the other co-DC who would be the primary playcaller. I don't see it working because of that. I'd be nervous about Diaz but he's young and his stints aside from Texas have looked good. He'd be encouraged to bring Oscar Giles with him and I'm all in favor of that. Akina was to DBs in the 00s what Cabral was to LBs in the 90s. Sends em to the League. Hawaii recruiter too. Clancy Pendergast's football experience is extensive in Arizona and California. My choice remains Todd Orlando.

Once the DC is in place, he'll be tasked with finding at least one defensive assistant. Hopefully more. Ron Vanderlinden is down the road at Air Force (placeholder for Mike Bohn joke). Ron knows linebackers. A&M is getting a new DC which could possibly result in either Terry Price or Terry Joseph looking for work elsewhere. Both have experience recruiting Texas and the Southeast. Will Muschamp could request to replace a Malzahn assistant to make room for one of his own guys, and that hypothetical coach would be a late free agent.

Back