1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pistol Offense...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Darth Snow, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2008/08/buckeyes_are_pondering_a_pisto.html

Buckeyes are thinkin bought running it. Why don't we? For those who have no ****ing idea what it is, basically the QB lines up in a short shotgun with the Tailback 7 yards deep. it combines the advantages of the shotgun and the singleback offense when it works.

Disadvantages? Well, QB is closer to the line on most plays, also, its hard to fit a FB in there with the QB already in shotgun.

My thoughts:
    We like Cody in the gun, this gets us there.
    We like Scott Deep. This gets him that head of steam.
    Our FB's already can't get a head of steam in the offense we are running anyways.
    Also, it allows for all sorts of trickery which Helfrich and Hawk love, so it keeps them happy...

A pic of a standard pistol play...

[​IMG]

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

I like the knowledge you bring to the board. You know alot about the game. :thumbsup:

My opinion on this is it's way too early to begin talking about scrapping our current offense. Or even throwing in a different set. I'm sure Hawkins and staff knew this would take a while to really get going properly. We are lucky to be playing to subpar teams to work out the kinks imo. Hawk is known for changing things up from week to week. Let's hold our judgment on Hawks offense. The real problem imo is the line. Not bashing them, i know they are young. But it all starts up front.

3. Darth Snow

Well I just think its obvious that Scott is the sort of runner who needs a yard or two to really do the maximum damage possible. He will rarely get that in our offense. Speedy is fine in our offense, but it would kill me to watch Scott get wasted for the next few years...

4. phatmack

phatmack Active Member

I think I share others' sentiments in that I would like to see more running formations with the Scott/Stewart combo... I really hope we get to see more of that especially starting with the WVU game...

Both backs do look a little stunted getting the ball at a standstill...

5. Sexton Hardcastle

Scott is just as fast as Stewart. All he needs is a hole. The oline will gel. Trust me.

6. Darth Snow

Scott is just as fast (eventually) and definitely harder to bring down, but there is no way that he has the initial burst that speedy does. That kid gets outside FAST! Which is why I think he is fine in this offense. Being at a standstill is ok for him...

7. Sexton Hardcastle

Speedy is a dancer out there. He can make alot of people miss. He does do well in this offense. Scott will be fine in this offense as well. Like I said earlier, the line needs to give him something to work with. Look at the results when he got some room to run. He damn near busted it for 6.

I just think you really can't run any kind of offense when your line isn't blocking. We have 2 sophmore tackles, and potentially 2 freshman guards. These kids are going to take their lumps this year. I know alot of you hate to hear this, but we are a very young team. Its not an excuse, its the truth. These kids are going to make alot of mistakes.

8. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Nevada runs the pistol and it seems to work well for them. I don't know of any other D1 team that runs the pistol. They had more yards of offense than TTech did as well last week. Impressive

I wondered what the Buffs would look like using it, but at this point I wonder how effective it would be to try something new with only a little more than a week to prepare. It would certainly throw WVU off

9. Darth Snow

I have been hoping against hope that they have been saving at least one package of the pistol for the meat of our schedule. Its ****ing PERFECT for Dscott and our other personnel :(

10. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

WVU runs a 3-3-5 so I'm not sure how effective it would be, but it would certainly throw them off. Depends on the speed of their defense I'd imagine.

There were practices held not that weren't open to the public so at this point anything is possible. If we ran the pistol for a little against WVU I wouldn't be against it at all.

11. Darth Snow

exactly my hopeful (oh, its not gonna happen, I know that) thinking..

12. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

I'm with ya there....let's not make Speedy's use so predictable and make the other team overpersue....Pick your poison!

13. Bornabuff

Bornabuff Club Member Club Member

I would like to see some direct snaps to either Scott or Speedy incorporated into the offense.

14. BuckinFuffs

BuckinFuffs Active Member

:iagree:

I think its all about the oline right now... they need time to gel becuz they are young and it takes A LOT of teamwork to block effectively. They have good talent up front and good coaches. As soon as they open some holes this Offense will take off...

That being said, I do like the Pistol idea due to the back being further back in the backfield so he can get a better read on the blocking. Right now if the back were able to see he would probably 'take a knee' since there are no holes.

patience....

It's gonna be sweet!

15. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Pistol, shotgun, what's next...the flamethrower?:fragez:

16. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

Figuring out a nickname for the A-11 base formation:

[​IMG]

17. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

Rocket Launcher?

MLRS Formation? :lol:

18. BuffSurveyor

BuffSurveyor Club Member Club Member

The Pistol is that Neveda runs is fun to watch. Perhaps more teams should check it out and give it a good go.

19. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

forgive my shallow knowledge here, more of a fan than a technician but it seems to me after watching the EW game that we might benefit from an I formation from time to time. Let Sumler (seemingly the most able blocker of the bunch) block for either Scott or Speedy. Hell put Scott and Sumler back there and it would be impossible to know which guy was going to end up with the ball and who was blocking.

The o-line will gel but in the meant time why not let some of our newly found stength in the backfield open a hole?

aaaaaaaaand go with showing me where i am wrong.

20. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

POWER-I FORMATION!!! WOOOOOOTTTTTTTT

Love that formation in NCAA Football :smile2:

21. Darth Snow

Meh. I formation is boring. spread that **** out and PASSS1

22. 87toInfinity

87toInfinity Well-Known Member

Why PASSS1 when you have a huge O-line and very talented running backs?

Power I is where it's at. POUND IT

23. dio

Not just I... POWER-I!! Two backs and a fullback!

Too bad Cody can't run... love the triple option out of that set

24. Darth Snow

he runs allright in NCAA09....

Spread-Option>Triple Option imho. PASSING IS POSSIBLE! Also easier to make reads since the defense is all spread out.

25. dio

No way. Get the two TE's for passing option... then just watch as all those bigs boys demolish LBs and DBs

:)

26. neil29fp

neil29fp Club Member Club Member

How about we give our current offense a try before we switch already--it's only been 2 games.

27. dio

I'm just teasing - we definitely don't have the personnel for Power I.

I actually like our formation, and I think it will be effective once our O-Line gels a bit.

28. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

I still think it's hard to put a grade on the current offense because there are a lot of different options and play calls that can be run out of it that haven't been tried yet....but a couple different formations to mix defenses up wouldn't hurt either