1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playoff idea

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Unleash Hell, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Why not take a similar approach to basketball.

8 team tourney, confrence champions from all 6 BCS conferences get automatics, and then 2 at large bids.

Top 4 host in the first round, then the semifinals and championship game alternate between New Orleans, Miami, Glendale and Pasadena.

Semifinal losers go home, winners stay for another week and play championship the next week. 3 week tourney

2. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Makes too much sense. Let's keep the current system where we don't let the games decide a champ

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

For it to be meaningful, any football playoff must include 16 teams. The #9 team in the country could make a pretty convincing case for itself as being able to beat any of the teams from 1-8. The #17 team in the country could not make that argument.

And forget conference tie-ins. Just do it based on BCS ranking 1-16.

4. Buffellow85

Buffellow85 Well-Known Member

They could play the tournament during Winter break.... no class time would be missed:thumbsup:

5. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

My only argument about the conference champions, is it really pisses me off badly when a team that didn't win their own conference is in the national championship game (01 Nebraska and 03 Oklahoma).

The at large bids would likely be our most recent MWC or WAC teams that go undefeated and are conference champs themselves.

I do see your point about a 9 being pissed, but I think 16 is too many to be playing for a college football national title. I don't know, just a thought.

6. sackman

Well the thing is that in a 16-team tournament, the winners of the major conferences will all probably be in anyways. But, on the off chance that some dorky team like UConn wins it's conference, they shouldn't be in a tournament where a solid team that's ranked #10 (as an example) but didn't win it's conference is on the outside looking in.

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

here we go again. BCS conf champs all in, then BCS ranking from there. Seeding goes by BCS ranking.

8. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Yep basketball concept works great.:rolling_eyes: It is about politics and will always be about politics as we foun out yesterday.

9. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Thats why you leave as little up to chance as possible. 37 teams chosen by chance is ridiculous. I agree with the 8 team idea. 6 conference champions and 2 at large based on BCS rankings. Have them seeded by their BCS ranking. Seems to me the most fair and leave the least up to some random committee

10. sackman

8-team playoff in football will cause more controversy than it will solve. Especially if there's only room for two at-large teams. It has to be 16 teams.

11. Shldr2Shldr

Then then there needs to be no committee input. It has to all be done by BCS rankings.

12. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Not enough $$$ to be made in this scenario and why the NCAA would have none of it and rather keep their 38 (or however many games there are), which each have their own corporate sponsor and television money

13. Shldr2Shldr

it is ridiculous to me there there are 120 eligible teams fighting for 70 spots. That doesnt make anyone feel better about going to any bowls... it is so watered down anymore.

14. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I like the 16 teams because it hurts larger conferences. What is the point of being in a huge conference and playing the best, when you can be in the Tex 10 and win by playing lesser competition. If you go to 16 teams, you have a good chance of two conference qualifiers.

15. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

I like the bowls, but I like them even better when there are fewer available slots so that getting an invite means something. Screw the playoffs; that's what the regular season is.

16. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

this. but i think common ground can be found. no matter what, the regular season has to matter. that is what is great about college football. right now, it is basically a 12 week playoff. granted, there are tons of problems with how it is done now. no argument there. i just want the regular season to matter.

17. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

best plan i've seen is up at Dr. Saturday now.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...official-Dr-Saturday-Playoff-P?urn=ncaaf-wp58

18. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

First thing is to get rid of about 20 of these meaningless bowl games.

19. pabuff

pabuff Member

Oh, a football playoff. Would Beebe be on the committee?

20. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

why not keep the bowl as the NIT?

21. buffaloflyer

buffaloflyer Member

I say make a top 25 bracket, all ugly and off center, if you're a top 25 team, you get to play for the title

22. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I think every conference championship should get a bid in the playoffs along with five at large teams which would mean a 16 team playoff. The BCS would determine the seeding and who the five at large teams would be.

23. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Basketball works fine if you are trying to determine a national champion. There is no way CU wins the ****ing tourney if they are admitted.

24. The Monk

The Monk Club Member Club Member

How about everyone starts off in the playoffs but once you lose your outside of the championship game until every team loses. Then since there aren't enough games for full league playoff the top two teams based on schedule difficulty, human perception and mathematical algorithm play each other in the championship. The bowl system can for the most part can stay intact and the championship can rotate around the four major bowls.