What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Please present an argument for Embree over EB

Well buffs04, considering that your post does not contain anything approaching an "argument" but instead is a rant filled with unsupported personal attacks, I am not sure that any logical response is needed or would be welcomed. When you make this about your personal dislike of someone, why should anyone else waste their time responding?

That said, demeanor and personality matter and by all accounts Embree has a professional and calm demeanor coupled with coaching success and respect both with prior players and with the coaches he has worked with. Mike Shanahan said yesterday Embree would be a great choice. Now while that may not be the be all and end all, I am positive Shanny knows more about Embree and coaching than anyone ranting on this board. EB has some baggage from his personality that may be more suited for some seasoning before being head coach. His name calling of Marcus Houston for example indicates to me someone who could grow up a bit. I personally could not care less about the national "splash" you think is so vital nor do I think hiring EB makes that "splash". Too many people on here worry too much about what ESPN says. Embree knows Boulder, he knows football, he can recruit and he can coach.

Well said, Brad!

Now that I've had time to think about this, I don't know how you could possibly hire Bieniemy for HC if Embree was available to you.

Embree is smarter, is widely considered a better coach, has coached multiple offensive positions, coached defensive line, coached kickers, been a passing game coordinator, doesn't have a criminal record, doesn't have a history of misconduct on the CU campus, has executive experience with Buffs4Life, has stronger connections for in-state recruiting, has very tight relationships with the Denver media as a former contributor to the paper, and is much better connected with the financial boosters of the CU program.

Bieniemy is more famous, does more to connect the fan base to its memories of the glory years, has that fiery personality that fans respond to, and is one of the best in the country at closing prospects in the living room (Embree's a great recruiter, but Bieniemy is off the charts.)

I absolutely love EB and want him involved in the program. In fact, he'll be a huge key to Embree's success as a Head Coach. But this was a decision on which guy should be CEO of Colorado Football. In that analysis, Embree is the easy choice versus Bieniemy.

P.S. It hasn't been widely reported, but Embree turned down the OC position at Oregon to spend a year concentrating on his family. He then turned down the Buffalo Bills OC position for 2010 because he thought he would learn more spending a year coaching under Mike Shanahan. The man is hugely respected in the coaching ranks. He couldn't attract the staff that's been reported if he wasn't.

Now that I've had time to think about this, I don't know how you could possibly hire Bieniemy for HC if Embree was available to you.

Embree is smarter, has coached multiple offensive positions, coached defensive line, coached kickers, been a passing game coordinator, doesn't have a criminal record, doesn't have a history of misconduct on the CU campus, has executive experience with Buffs4Life, has stronger connections for in-state recruiting, has very tight relationships with the Denver media as a former contributor to the paper, and is much better connected with the financial boosters of the CU program.

Bieniemy is more famous, does more to connect the fan base to its memories of the glory years, has that fiery personality that fans respond to, and is one of the best in the country at closing prospects in the living room (Embree's a great recruiter, but Bieniemy is off the charts.)

I absolutely love EB and want him involved in the program. In fact, he'll be a huge key to Embree's success as a Head Coach. But this was a decision on which guy should be CEO of Colorado Football. In that analysis, Embree is the easy choice versus Bieniemy.

you are racist to choose Embree over Bieniemy!

Well buffs04, considering that your post does not contain anything approaching an "argument" but instead is a rant filled with unsupported personal attacks, I am not sure that any logical response is needed or would be welcomed. When you make this about your personal dislike of someone, why should anyone else waste their time responding?

That said, demeanor and personality matter and by all accounts Embree has a professional and calm demeanor coupled with coaching success and respect both with prior players and with the coaches he has worked with. Mike Shanahan said yesterday Embree would be a great choice. Now while that may not be the be all and end all, I am positive Shanny knows more about Embree and coaching than anyone ranting on this board. EB has some baggage from his personality that may be more suited for some seasoning before being head coach. His name calling of Marcus Houston for example indicates to me someone who could grow up a bit. I personally could not care less about the national "splash" you think is so vital nor do I think hiring EB makes that "splash". Too many people on here worry too much about what ESPN says. Embree knows Boulder, he knows football, he can recruit and he can coach.

Good job. That was my point but you said it way better than I did. Plus, it sounds like JE had a great interview.

One funny thing Ringo said: One of the interviewers said he "closed his eyes" when they were interviewing McElwain, who apparently had a very good interview, and all he could hear was Hawkins. :lol:

I don't see one. It was critical for Bohn to make the right hire. He didn't. Again. Anything but a big splash in this situation was totally unacceptable. Recruiting and talent are our number one concerns. The consensus about EB is that he is an absolutely dynamite recruiter and a future hot commodity in cfb. We took... the other guy? Because he interviews well? This isn't a PR job. It's a football job. Mike Bohn is a PR guy. That's his problem; he thinks that because his speciality is PR over substance, that hiring a guy who may be a little rough around the edges but the potential to be an absolutely outstanding hire for the program is unacceptable when faced with the alternative of a no-name who won't stir up any trouble.

Bohn is targetting mediocrity. CU is going to be the laughing stock of the P12. We can fight with WSU for 11th place. Way to go. The choice was clear here. We have a limited budget and can't bring in a Nick Saban, so we had to roll the dice on a guy with the potential to bring in a ton of talent and turn this thing around. The national perception of CU that no one seems to want to acknowledge is that right now we are a JOKE program. Not bringing in a top-flight coach only perpetuates that.

I can't fault the Hawkins hire because it looked great on the surface. This time, however, the mistake is crystal clear. EB is the perfect hire for this job. We chose someone else for reasons that are absolutely not apparent to me. Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't think so.
Excellent post, you are 100% correct. Absolutely terrible hire if it is true.;

I think its pretty apparent from what I've read in the papers. Hiring a minority HC to coach the football program in Boulder is a big ****ing deal. Its an important step for CU. They can't get it wrong. CU-Boulder is lilly white. They needed a guy who could bridge that gap. They needed a guy who can communicate at every level. They needed a guy who can, one, recruit a star kid from Compton and, two, meet with and impress the big time white boosters. The more I think about it, the more of a no brainer it is. I think they also are hoping to bring in JE and EB as a team and their best chance was with JE as HC.
There's black people living in Boulder - last time I heard, they made up 1.3% of the population. Ask any Boulder liberal? Race problems don't exist in Boulder.

I don't see one. It was critical for Bohn to make the right hire. He didn't. Again. Anything but a big splash in this situation was totally unacceptable. Recruiting and talent are our number one concerns. The consensus about EB is that he is an absolutely dynamite recruiter and a future hot commodity in cfb. We took... the other guy? Because he interviews well? This isn't a PR job. It's a football job. Mike Bohn is a PR guy. That's his problem; he thinks that because his speciality is PR over substance, that hiring a guy who may be a little rough around the edges but the potential to be an absolutely outstanding hire for the program is unacceptable when faced with the alternative of a no-name who won't stir up any trouble.

Bohn is targetting mediocrity. CU is going to be the laughing stock of the P12. We can fight with WSU for 11th place. Way to go. The choice was clear here. We have a limited budget and can't bring in a Nick Saban, so we had to roll the dice on a guy with the potential to bring in a ton of talent and turn this thing around. The national perception of CU that no one seems to want to acknowledge is that right now we are a JOKE program. Not bringing in a top-flight coach only perpetuates that.

I can't fault the Hawkins hire because it looked great on the surface. This time, however, the mistake is crystal clear. EB is the perfect hire for this job. We chose someone else for reasons that are absolutely not apparent to me. Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't think so.

Bravo. Bravo. couldn't agree more. Embarrassing and outrageous hire. I'll eventually support but anyone defending this hire is just being a homer.

Bravo. Bravo. couldn't agree more. Embarrassing and outrageous hire. I'll eventually support but anyone defending this hire is just being a homer.

God almighty! STFU Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez!! It is neither "embarrassing" nor "outrageous." What the hell do you know about Ebree other than he is not EB?

If we get both Embo and EB, I really don't understand all the knashing of teeth. Sans EB, I'd understand people's panties getting in a twist. Sounds like EB is on board. If he's not, that sucks, we move forward.

This has to be a hard choice for EB, he has a shot to be the OC in Minny if Frazier gets that gig.

Here's one - former players who actually know both guys have said that Embree is a great choice, and that while EB might be a better recruiter, Embree is a better coach.

I know guys who actually know the guys and played can't possibly know as much as you, but I'm willing to listen to what they have to say...

where were they 2 weeks ago when all of the ex-Buffs were pushing for Eric Bieniemy. Embree wasn't even mentioned as a candidate but now he's a "great" choice because now he's a coach. Funny how that works.

Love the spin on this. We hired Bohn's 2nd choice from 2005 who wasn't even coaching anywhere last year and now its a great. Yep, what a hire!!

CU dropped the ball AGAIN but that's not a surprise.

where were they 2 weeks ago when all of the ex-Buffs were pushing for Eric Bieniemy. Embree wasn't even mentioned as a candidate but now he's a "great" choice because now he's a coach. Funny how that works.

Love the spin on this. We hired Bohn's 2nd choice from 2005 who wasn't even coaching anywhere last year. Yep, what a hire!!

Where we all the ex-players saying Bieniemy and only Bieniemy should get the job?? Pretty sure I never heard a player say that. I have heard a lot of Bieniemy supporters bashing Embree on points that apply equally to EB, though. Funny how that works...

God almighty! STFU Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez!! It is neither "embarrassing" nor "outrageous." What the hell do you know about Ebree other than he is not EB?

Embree is nothing but a concession hire. He wasn't even mentioned as a candidate anywhere. So you go STFU.

Love the spin on this. We hired Bohn's 2nd choice from 2005 who wasn't even coaching anywhere last year. Yep, what a hire!!
Actually, during the charity golf tournament numerous C Clubbers mentioned Embree.

Where we all the ex-players saying Bieniemy and only Bieniemy should get the job?? Pretty sure I never heard a player say that. I have heard a lot of Bieniemy supporters bashing Embree on points that apply equally to EB, though. Funny how that works...

No we hear about speculation about what jobs Embree was supposedly offered but we know what jobs Bieniemy was offered (USC oc for example).

Embree is nothing but a concession hire. He wasn't even mentioned as a candidate anywhere. So you go STFU.

Embree's name came up a lot, Jimbo. So YOU go STFU! :lol: Man, this will be a fun upcoming year on Allbuffs.

And EB was a candidate anywhere else? Lets be honest, both guys wouldn't be on our radar if they weren't alums.

speculation about Minnesota was looking at him. Mike Tomlin was vouching for him. CU will be sorry for passing on Eric Bieniemy but hey Mike Bohn has had a lot of success picking coaches so I'm sure this will be a home run hire. :rofl:

speculation about Minnesota was looking at him.

You mean the speculation that Leslie Frazier was leaving the NFL for the U of Minnesota and taking EB with him as OC? :lol: :lol:

Common denominator in all these stories? None of these other places were looking at him as a HC either...

speculation about Minnesota was looking at him. Mike Tomlin was vouching for him. CU will be sorry for passing on Eric Bieniemy but hey Mike Bohn has had a lot of success picking coaches so I'm sure this will be a home run hire. :rofl:

So speculation that JE has had significant offers to be the OC at Oregon and the Bills, you discard it. Yet, when the speculation involves EB, it's considered some form of fact? Mike Tomlin vouched for him? Oh ****! I wonder if there's any NFL head coaches that have vouched for JE.. what's that Broncos coach doing these days? Maybe he knows JE?

Jimmy, you need to move on. You are never happy. Embree is a good coach and good recruiter. We are gonna get both and this could work out. Stop your damn bitching or pick a different team. You don't have a clue how this will work out. We have tried big name hires before, they haven't worked. We haven't tried true buff blood. Embree has been around and has a lot of coaching experience. He has been position coaches on both sides of the ball, he has been a passing game coordinator and he has had high praises from great coaches Bill McCartney and Mike Shannahan.

God damn, I'm so sick of the negativity. SUPPORT THIS ****ING HIRE OR GET OUT!!!

Yes, I know people have their own opinions, but dammit I'm tired of the negativity. After thinking about it, Embree is very qualified to take this job and I'm excited for him and behind him. He needs our support from the get go.

Back