What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Please stay, Coach B

Yep. Thanks for your time here, Coach. You did a lot to increase administrative and fan support for the program, got our academic situation cleaned up, drove facilities improvements, and put together enough talent for the next coach to win right away. Good luck at Wake. Hope we kick your asses in the tourney next year.

Some interesting (informed and otherwise) opinions via Twitter:

"Colorado's Dan Bzdelik is the new Wake Forest basketball coach. Well that was anticlimactic."

"That's the best the can do?"

"Jeff Bzdelik to Wake. That's a good hire. Woulda been a good hire in Eugene ..."

"Jeff Bzdelik to Wake Forest possibly? Haha, you are so lucky #Coloradohttp://twitter.com/search?q=#Colorado fans. #WakeForest fans, good luck, he's not an ACC coach haha."

All this talk of all that he "did for the program". What did he do for the program? Brought in 2 good players? One is about to graduate and the other will bounce for the NBA next yeawr I am sure. Then we are right back where we started, several losing seasons and no big men later...

Hahahaahahahaah! Seriously, DBT? These are honest-to-God subsequent posts in this thread! Hahahaahahahhahahahaha!!! Whew!! Hahahhahaha?
Laugh at me all you want, dip ****. They were posted 3 hours apart. At 7:45, I really didn't believe this was all taht serious. I could not contemplate that Bzdelic could possibly be such a hill. Then, three hours later, it was reported that he was as good as gone. Now, I do not necessarily trust News 4, given they said Scott was coming back, but I did take them seriously in this case. So, yeah, I posted those in "subsequent" posts. But they were also 3 hours apart. So **** you. And yeah, I'm pissed.

All this talk of all that he "did for the program". What did he do for the program? Brought in 2 good players? One is about to graduate and the other will bounce for the NBA next yeawr I am sure. Then we are right back where we started, several losing seasons and no big men later...

As mad as I am that this is happening and at the most inconvenient time, I'm angrier with the circumstances that would make it easier for him to leave than with Coach himself. At a school that has never finished (to my memory) higher than 6th in its current conference, running a clean program with an improved GPA and yet still battling admissions over recruits. Get an offer to relocate to the premiere basketball conference in the country located in a much more fertile recruiting ground with the most national television exposure for your program and likely more financial support too. Add in the fact that you have family attending the school and it's hard to get mad at the guy for the decision. You want a coach to stick with your school, but most people look out for their own best interests and this looks to be a better situation for Jeff Bzdelik.

What I don't get is why he has no foresight. Next season is THE season to be a coach at CU. Higgins is a senior, Burks will be improved with a season under him, hopefully Nate will convert hitting the rim to making baskets and the rest of the team will be another year older. NEXT YEAR IS OUR TOURNAMENT YEAR, no matter what tournament it is. We need Bz to get us there!

What I don't get is why he has no foresight. Next season is THE season to be a coach at CU. Higgins is a senior, Burks will be improved with a season under him, hopefully Nate will convert hitting the rim to making baskets and the rest of the team will be another year older. NEXT YEAR IS OUR TOURNAMENT YEAR, no matter what tournament it is. We need Bz to get us there!

We need him for sure, but as Wake is a returning tournament team and the ACC typically gets a generous amount of tourney bids I think he expects to be in the postseason next year, and with better recruits to get there.

I love how ESPN makes the point that his daughter goes to Wake, like that's the deciding factor. Doesn't his son go to CU?

We do not "need" Coach Bzdelik to get us there.

He was not bigger than the program. He was not more important than the players.

Bzdelik did a nice job creating a culture and bringing in the right kind of talent. Now we need to build on that foundation, do a better job of recruiting big guys, and take this thing to the next level.

I'm looking at this as Phase III. Phase I was to tear things down. Phase II was to build a strong foundation. Phase III is to be a consistent winner.

While I really like Bzdelik, there's a chance that he wasn't the best Phase III fit for us anyway. I think he would have been, but I don't know. It might actually be a good time for us to make a change and find that guy, because it's a very different task. I've seen lots of coaches who did a great job with a rebuilding effort in Phases I and II who didn't go on to succeed at Phase III.

I love how ESPN makes the point that his daughter goes to Wake, like that's the deciding factor. Doesn't his son go to CU?
Yep. For another month or so.

OK, whatever. If Bzdelic doesn't want to be here, so be it. What bugs me is that CU was loyal to him. They are building the practice facility which he said was his stipulation for staying. Then he does this. It speaks to his character and Wake fans are correct. As soon as the NBA comes calling, he'll leave them at the altar as well. Probably about the time his daughter graduates. If I were a player, I'd boycott the team meeting. Either that or call him out for being a hypocrite then walk out on him.

If Bz wants to go to Wake, you cannot blame him. I am guessing that it pays substantially more and that program is more conducive to success on an annual basis than is CU. More support, better conference, better reputation, better recruiting grounds. Coach Bz has done some really good things for CU. While the wins are not there yet, the quality of play is substantially better and he has done so with arguably lesser talent. If he leaves, I would hope that you show a little bit of class and appreciate what he has done for our program. If he stays (and I cannot say that I would if I were in his shoes), those of you condemning him will look foolish.

Also, great pub for our program on the off-chance that he stays.

I was someone who was skeptical of the Bz hire at first. I knew he could coach, but didn't know if he could recruit. I also thought he displayed a borderline pompous attitude at his introductory presser.

I was starting to come around on him this past year. One obvious reason was the marked improvement on the court. Another reason was the way he always talked about building the program from the ground up and doing things the right way. I guess I assumed that meant he would be here to see the job through. I guess I thought he wasn't just another coach with one eye constantly looking out the door, always looking for the next better opportunity at another school in a "better conference" with a "better reputation" and "better recruiting grounds".

I guess I was wrong. :huh:

I was someone who was skeptical of the Bz hire at first. I knew he could coach, but didn't know if he could recruit. I also thought he displayed a borderline pompous attitude at his introductory presser.

I was starting to come around on him this past year. One obvious reason was the marked improvement on the court. Another reason was the way he always talked about building the program from the ground up and doing things the right way. I guess I assumed that meant he would be here to see the job through. I guess I thought he wasn't just another coach with one eye constantly looking out the door, always looking for the next better opportunity at another school in a "better conference" with a "better reputation" and "better recruiting grounds".

That about sums it up for me as well. I was always a bit skeptical of his "committment" to CU. He always seemed to have his toe in the water. And, yeah, he always seemed a bit arrogant. I think he is a wierd dude.

Last edited:
He's a career itinerant, and I wouldn't have been surprised if he had made a public comment about how after RP's final lame duck years this place was "burned to the ground." That's the nature of the guy, and we knew who we were getting. I was angry with the rumors at first but now that it's happening I have to be forward-thinking and look ahead to the most positive thing CU basketball can do now. Keep the current guys and bring in some frontcourt muscle. Practice facility is still a go. Future is bright with the right hire.

I agree with you 100%....I think of all the speeches he gave about the right thing and integrity and it just makes me sick that he bails on CU and the athletes he force feed that speech with....it is a great thing to live by but he didn't walk the walk he just talked the talked

It's a good move for him and completely understandable. I don't think this has anything to do w/Mike Bohn or the University's handling of the program(s), that's typical stuff as people look to be negative and blame somebody for what's going on. It's been easy to pick on Bohn and the administration.
I think it's pretty obvious (much thanks to coach BZ and his vision) that the University is actually behind the basketball program(s), more than ever before. It helps that the state of the football program has been dismal recently, but basketball suddenly matters at CU. So that's not it.

This is -quite frankly- a matter of family first, his wife and kids likely approve. You also must understand that Bzdelik has mentioned that being an assistant at Davidson (N.C.), with good friend Rick Barnes I might add, was arguably the most fun he's ever had, he was growing and learning the coaching profession, and around good/fun people. Plus, North Carolina is a beautiful area, likely one of the few places that folks would consider moving to over Colorado, and it certainly doesn't hurt that he'd be moving to a program that is clearly a step up from CU, and one that has loads of tradition and will likely grant him immediate success, perhaps much-much more.

We're still getting the practice facility.

He left the program better off than what it was when he came here. GL Bz and I hope we meet you guys in the tourney (and kick your asses).

Still need a big to be a legit threat though.

He has built a healthy, growing program here, one that people can be proud of. They will likely hire Steve McClain as the next HC, and he'll likely keep the assistants in place so that continuity is the focus.

Although this is ALL Bzdeliks work, I will say that of all the games, the Buffs -frankly- played their best in Maui where they were lead by McClain's exuberant, off-the-cuff energy and humor. Something that was rarely seen, being that things were so politicized when Bzdelik was around. Not that that's a bad thing, but I think McClain would be the best candidate if you're looking for conitnuity.

Other coaches I would consider:
Mike Dunlap - I personally feel he'd be a better fit than Bzdelik. He's a winner and grants a SERIOUS look!! I was hoping for him back in '07, ahead of coach BZ.
Randy Bennett- Someone that I was hoping they'd take a look at back in '07. He's built a consistent winner at St. Mary's (CA). An unlikely candidate because of fear for the unknown, but a guy I like a lot.
Kelvin Sampson- I know. I know. He's a No-No because of his past, but has he learned his lesson? Plus, he would likely win and win big, immediately! He has plenty of experience in the Big 12, and would continue the excitement and elevate the program.
Rick Majerus- CU is a step up from St. Louis, where he's building yet another winning program. If CU entertains it, this would be his 2nd go around w/them, they passed on him '89, a BIG mistake. Would CU do it again? He would also bring excitement and WINS, immediately. Again, elevating the program.
Billy Gillespie- He single handedly brought Tex A&M to prominence, look where that program is NOW. Also, don't forget UTEP, a team that got going in year 2 under Gillespie, after a long period of down time. He got a bad rap from UK and has been kicked aside. He's a great coach who also would elevate the program.

Last edited:
We're still getting the practice facility.

He left the program better off than what it was when he came here. GL Bz and I hope we meet you guys in the tourney (and kick your asses).

Still need a big to be a legit threat though.

Agreed!! What will this do for Guy Marc Michel or Majok Majok, for example? That's why it might be so much more important to hire McClain immediately. Let him keep the assistants and control continuity.

Well, I think he is using foresight. And the fact is that while CU should be better next year, so will Wake. And Wake's better is better than CU's better, if that makes sense. Wake is coming off a 2nd round NCAA appearance, and they have a dynamite recruiting class coming in, if Bzz can hold on to it.

It's a good move for him and completely understandable. I don't think this has anything to do w/Mike Bohn or the University's handling of the program(s), that's typical stuff as people look to be negative and blame somebody for what's going on. It's been easy to pick on Bohn and the administration.
I think it's pretty obvious (much thanks to coach BZ and his vision) that the University is actually behind the basketball program(s), more than ever before. It helps that the state of the football program has been dismal recently, but basketball suddenly matters at CU. So that's not it.

This is -quite frankly- a matter of family first, his wife and kids likely approve. You also must understand that Bzdelik has mentioned that being an assistant at Davidson (N.C.), with good friend Rick Barnes I might add, was arguably the most fun he's ever had, he was growing and learning the coaching profession, and around good/fun people. Plus, North Carolina is a beautiful area, likely one of the few places that folks would consider moving to over Colorado, and it certainly doesn't hurt that he'd be moving to a program that is clearly a step up from CU, and one that has loads of tradition and will likely grant him immediate success, perhaps much-much more.

Then move to North Carolina. Maybe you and Urbanabuff can shack up.

Well, I think he is using foresight. And the fact is that while CU should be better next year, so will Wake. And Wake's better is better than CU's better, if that makes sense. Wake is coming off a 2nd round NCAA appearance, and they have a dynamite recruiting class coming in, if Bzz can hold on to it.

the timing of this all just pisses me off. We might not get ANY players this recruiting cycle. How pathetic is that - go a year with no new players? That's inexcusable in my opinion, and it could hurt down the road. Good luck Bz...I don't hate you, but I'm not too fond of you either right now. I HATE Wake though for screwing us right now. We needed a big so bad, and I honestly do think Bz would have signed one. I just hope Bz is able to succeed some with the Wake program - there will be a few Silas-like players, and we saw how well Silas and Bz bonded...

Wake has a great recruiting class coming in, but they lose a lot of talent too. Wake fans should be upset - I have great respect for Bz's ability, but at the same time Wake could have done better.

I just hate this - it's like CU is being forced to hire McClain in order to get a big for next year. I want Gillespie, because I think Burks will stay to play for him. Also Gillespie can coach and recruit. If St Mary's coach really is interested, we HAVE to interview him at the least...but then again Bohnhead's search committee will just hire the first person they look at...

I hate Bohn.

You support bzdelic and make an argument for him and post a handle like "UrbanaBuff." How about "UrbanaWake?"

dbt of all the people to make a comment like that... you should be the absolute last person ever to make that comment...

We sound exactly like the AF fans did when Jeff left the Springs. Do you remember what most Buff fans said then?

Wasn't on the boards then, but I can imagine those of us who actually thought he would be a good hire found a myriad of ways to justify him leaving a program he was building for one in a bigger and better basketball conference. Which is why I'm coming around on the whole acceptance of the situation as I might do the same thing if I were in Jeff's shoes and a better opportunity for success came knocking.

Back