What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

POI's (Persons of Interest) for Rocky Mountain Showdown

Choose: Donovan Lee beats the Rams' secondary or Kevin Davis frustrates the Buffs' O-line

• Donovan Lee

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • Kevin Davis

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
Every week before the game, I'm going to pick one player from both the Buffs and the opposition that I think will have a sizeable impact on the game's outcome. Alright, here we go.

For the Rams: I'm going with linebacker Kevin Davis (#33). He enters his senior year with three varsity letters of experience. Last year against the Buffs, he led the Rams with nine tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss. He would go on to earn an All-Mountain West honorable mention for the 2015 year, a year in which he led the entire Rams defense with 101 tackles. He added three sacks, in addition. Davis ranked in the top 10 in the MWC in total tackles, too.

Last year, the Rams failed to force a turnover or get a sack. If they are able to reverse their woes in Friday's matchup, I expect Davis to be a big contributor to that. He's 6'2" and 240 pounds. He's also one of the most experienced players on their roster.

A key matchup is going to be the Rams' defensive seven vs. the Buffs offensive line. Protecting Sefo Liufau is of paramount importance. I don't know about you, but my heart is going to sink if he gets blindsided by a linebacker in the backfield or if he's even constantly rushed. I want him to have ample time to drop back, bounce around and make the throw.

Davis strikes me as the type of guy who's capable of making those desires very hard to achieve. If there's anyone who can truly test this Buffs' O line I think it is Davis. We shall see how much of an annoyance he will be to the Buffs' offense.

For the Buffs, I'm going with Donovan Lee. He's formally listed as a tailback, but after watching the guy last season I don't know what the hell to think. His versatility is beyond impressive. He can run, he can catch and he can return kicked balls. It also speaks to his endurance.

He was ninth in the Pac-12 last season in kickoff return yards, with 540, averaging 24.55 yards per return on average. And keep in mind that with the exception of three returners who placed above him, everyone else had at least ten more returns than him. Lee is also 21st on the university's all time list for kickoff return yardage. I'm calling a Donovan Lee kickoff return TD on Friday right here and now.

But expect him to get some snaps at tailback with Phil Lindsay. Note that Lee is of very similar physique to Lindsay. The former is an inch taller, but the latter is about ten pounds heavier. Both are speedy hole hitters that will slice up the field for big chunks of yardage if given the opportunity. I never felt like Christian Powell fit that well into the offensive scheme of things. I thought he was to big and not fast enough to succeed in the offensive plays that he was a lot of the time included in.

So for Lee (and for that matter Shay Fields and Bryce Bobo, too) if he can win his routes and shake CSU's (inexperienced) secondary, I think he's going to get a lot of medium to long range looks from Sefo.

I'm not sure I would have picked Donovan Lee as the most likely Buff to bust out on offense, but I could definitely see it happen. He is a big play waiting to happen whenever he touches the ball.

If I was going to pick a guy, I'd go with Devin Ross. Chido talks about him being the most difficult cover in the Pac-12. With CSU's questions in the secondary, they're going to try to check him with their 3rd best cover guy? Look out.

I've thought that Lee has the potential to be a game breaker for us since last season. With Lindsay, we know what we're getting. A tough, hard-nosed runner that will get 4 or 5 yards every time he gets the ball and will grind out carries, but isn't really a home run threat. Lee has a higher ceiling, in my opinion, and has the ability to take it to the house at any given time. Hopefully, he gets the opportunity this year to showcase that ability.

JMHO, but I think CU is going to pass the ball and pass it a lot. Short routes, long routes, medium routes. Swing passes, bombs, screens, flares, slants, go routes, flea flickers... CU is going to test CSU's pass defense early and often. When the DBs play press coverage, Ross and Fields will stretch the field. If they play off, expect a lot of underneath stuff. Then, when they're gassed, we will see guys like Lee and Lindsay get the ball in the third and fourth quarter.

CSU's hopes rely on keeping the game close with a power running attack that shortens the game and keeps the CSU defense off the field.

Davis will have to play well for CSU's defense to do anything meaningful. He's the one who lit up Sefo in 2014 and seemed to cause some (even more?) timidness for the remainder of the game.

XQpdEO.gif

JMHO, but I think CU is going to pass the ball and pass it a lot. Short routes, long routes, medium routes. Swing passes, bombs, screens, flares, slants, go routes, flea flickers... CU is going to test CSU's pass defense early and often. When the DBs play press coverage, Ross and Fields will stretch the field. If they play off, expect a lot of underneath stuff. Then, when they're gassed, we will see guys like Lee and Lindsay get the ball in the third and fourth quarter.

CSU's hopes rely on keeping the game close with a power running attack that shortens the game and keeps the CSU defense off the field.

I'm fine with this. I don't care how we do it, just score early and often.

Back