1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Games' started by Buffnik, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

#1 downloaded free app. Was seeing stories about people driving or walking/biking without paying attention to others. Instead, they're trying to find and capture Pokemon in real world environments, with their phone used as a locator.

This seems weird to me... maybe a sign of the apocalypse.

Anyone playing this thing?

2. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

It was especially weird yesterday seeing people walking around staring at their phones while huge protest was going down Market Street in San Francisco.

The above aside, it seems like a really efficient way to get your phone stolen or to get mugged.

3. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

WTF?? I never heard of it until this morning with friends playing vball at cheesman park. Apparently one friend played at 7:30 this morning and is hooked (he's kind of a douche) and then he pointed out all the zombies around cheesman actively playing throughout the day. Sooo many, and you can tell who is playing really easily.
    So dumb, but I suppose it might get some of the antisocial nerds out of their house and getting some exercise

4. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Ms. Rack downloaded on her phone.son the boys could play.
    They took the long way home from the neighbor's house tonight trying to catch Pokemon.
    I don't get it, but if it gets them off their ass, then OK.

NW Buff likes this.
  5. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I played for a minute, and then ran into some kids playing while on a walk.

I think it is great. People are getting out and about.

6. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

It's fine if you are playing it in a park, but to be honest, this is getting into pet-peeve category for me already. There are grown adults staring at their phones walking down crowded sidewalks stopping periodically to take pictures of virtual cartoons. WTF? Get the **** out of the way.

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

My daughter just downloaded the app. I literally heard about this this morning and by the afternoon it's a phenomenon.

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  8. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

What is it? (I still have a flip phone....)

sockdolager, J.R. Ewing and Ruckus like this.
  9. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

10. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

Sometimes I wish I did, too.

Gramburglar likes this.
  11. Gramburglar

Gramburglar Literally has hundreds of dollars Club Member

And I hear Blink-182 has a new album coming out.

What year is it again?

12. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Who has time for **** like this

13. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Weird.

So my daughter asks if I'll go walk the neighborhood with her and search for these things. I say sure.

We are a block away and come across a group of 4-5 boys playing. These were kids in their early teens, not little kids.

It's like all of the sudden everybody is playing this game. How does that happen?

14. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

This thing is huge already. My 30 yo old little bro downloaded it over the weekend. Wtf

15. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

if it gets this country out and walking around, then i'm all for it.

16. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

upload_2016-7-11_9-2-57.png

WasianCU and sweaty teets like this.
  17. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I did the same thing with my son yesterday. We walked around and ended up seeing a grown man playing. Definitely made me laugh. The guy was walking and looking at his phone all over the place.

18. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I do believe you'd get your ass kicked for playing something like that at that age back in the day.

19. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

All three of my kids are into it. This is also driving the shares of stock up incredible amounts.

20. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

This. I can give my son and his friend my phone and they will walk all over the neighborhood looking for things.

Funny side story - The elementary school near my house has a "gym" in the game, which makes a lot of sense. Yesterday I was at a brew pub in Portland and noticed there was a gym there as well. Clearly their demographics are both 10 year old boys and "35" year old boys.

21. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

I've seen a bunch of people playing it all over town. Average age: 25ish. I don't think I've seen a single person younger then 20 playing.

22. stretch

stretch Club Member Club Member

I was at a wedding this weekend at the Alumni Center. As the night went on I started noticing a group of people gathered just outside the gates of the building. Eventually I went to check it out and there were at least 60, probably closer to 100 people all hanging out in the grass. This was around 11pm. My mind was blown. I thought I was at the party, but it turns out I was just party adjacent. Everyone was quietly talking with one another about their pokemon and enjoying their evenings outside on a beautiful Boulder evening. There were groups of friends hanging out, there were people meeting one another, there were people who had set up hammocks and seemed in it for the long haul. A friend asked about it and someone said there was another spot on campus they just came from that had 250+ people there.

This is a phenomenon and it isn't going away anytime soon. Augmented Reality (AR) is the future (much moreso than VR) and this is the first app to gain traction using the technology. Expect to see much more of it.

TDforTD likes this.
  23. stretch

I know it can be frustrating for people, having the sidewalks littered with people staring down at their phones, oblivious of their surroundings. But I would also posit that those same people had similar feelings when smartphones were first introduced, and they now check twitter a dozen times throughout the day while texting significant others, children, and friends, when they aren't on Facebook or Youtube. These same people probably feel a bit naked if their battery dies or if they are in a location without service for a couple of days.

There is more communication now than there has been at any point in history, it is a strange consequence that it is coming at the expense of face-to-face interactions. While some view this as an absolute negative, the new generation is more connected than ever before, for better or for worse.

At the end of the day I am pretty thrilled with the app because it is entirely based around walking, biking, roller blading, etc. The more ground you cover, the more likely you are to find fancy pokemon. The kicker is that if you exceed a certain speed, like 15mph, you no longer get credit towards your distance traveled, so people can't be lazy driving around everywhere. I think this is just wonderful because it is getting people outside and active who otherwise probably wouldn't be. Michelle Obama, and the NFL and everyone else can do their part to try to get people off of their asses, but nothing has been as effective as this video game. Kudos to Nintendo for finally figuring out how to motivate people to be more active, they have tried a number of times previously.

TDforTD likes this.
  24. stretch

Another aspect of the game is that the poke-centers/gyms that you go to for supplies are real world landmarks. So not only do you need to go to certain locations to stock up on supplies, but you might find yourself more culturally aware of your surroundings than you were previously. That being said, a number of them are churches and people will have their own opinion about that. I have been trying the game and am pleasantly surprised with the locations.

I think many buffs fans would enjoy a stroll through campus with the app just for the markers, even if you don't participate in catching pokemon. You will visit various Buff statues, the bust of Fred Folsom, and many other historic or otherwise cool CU locations, with a gentle nudge to explore them for yourselves. Other than the whole people falling into manhole covers, getting hit by cars, and the tertiary debate about how you feel about people communicating with the world through electronic devices, I think this is a huge success and there is nothing negative about it.

TDforTD likes this.
  25. Matt

Matt Nerd Drone Pilot Club Member

That just hurt my feelings.... I need to go download the app now.

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  26. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I actually 'played' it a bit at lunch today. I've never played Pokemon anything in my life.

It is an interesting phenomenon because the app is a confusing mess. I mostly have no idea what is going on, but I see something on the map, i walk to it, I get rewarded.
    For a guy in his 30's who has never played or wants to play Pokemon, and who doesn't understand the app, I still found it very addictive.

27. 30Something

30Something Distinguished Brotha Club Member

Security Risks found with Pokemon Go. adamreeve.tumblr.com/post/147120922009/pokemon-go-is-a-huge-security-risk

Excerpt:
    "Let me be clear - Pokemon Go and Niantic can now:
    • Read all your email
    • Send email as you
    • Access all your Google drive documents (including deleting them)
    • Look at your search history and your Maps navigation history
    • Access any private photos you may store in Google Photos
    • And a whole lot more
    What’s more, given the use of email as an authentication mechanism (think “Forgot password” links) they now have a pretty good chance of gaining access to your accounts on other sites too.

And they have no need to do this - when a developer sets up the “Sign in with Google” functionality they specify what level of access they want - best practices (and simple logic) dictate you ask for the minimum you actually need, which is usually just simple contact information.

Now, I obviously don’t think Niantic are planning some global personal information heist. This is probably just the result of epic carelessness. But I don’t know anything about Niantic’s security policies. I don’t know how well they will guard this awesome new power they’ve granted themselves, and frankly I don’t trust them at all. I’ve revoked their access to my account, and deleted the app. I really wish I could play, it looks like great fun, but there’s no way it’s worth the risk"

Attached Files:

28. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

29. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Westboro Baptist Church getting trolled by Pokémon Go is kinda funny.

30. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member