What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pony Excess

Also, I liked how it showed the team after they came back from suspension. Holy crap, they were all undersized. Looked like a HS team. No wonder they sucked for so long. I'm not even sure Mac would have survived more than 6 years there. Hot damn.

the stuff the Sooners did was breathtaking too. They should have been iced too.

Good bit from the show. SMU beat tu, the next week SMU is under investigation. tu and their ilk killed the SWC, now they killed the Big 8 / 12. die tu!

Kind of amazing to think that if that one player hadn't done the TV interview, they probably would have avoided the death penalty. The Admin guy getting interviewed and then looking at the envelopes he sent is priceless.

It's amazing that they kept paying players even after they were put on probation. Their reasoning was "we had contracts to honor", and they weren't going to commit to any new payment obligations to players. :wow:

It's amazing that they kept paying players even after they were put on probation. Their reasoning was "we had contracts to honor", and they weren't going to commit to any new payment obligations to players. :wow:

And that is exactly why i have no problem with the death penalty sentence.

my sister works at SMU. that place is weird. I say this as someone who went to Vandy, CC and has worked at CU and DU for a decade. weird, sorority gal fascism.

My favorite quote, a player talking about the 89 team after the death penalty: "we were small but we were slow".

I like how they said the truth about ED will never come out and he will never tell. How many do you think they had on the payroll and boy they didnt seem to think they did anything wrong.

I like how they said the truth about ED will never come out and he will never tell. How many do you think they had on the payroll and boy they didnt seem to think they did anything wrong.
I'm so sure that the head-and-shoulders best player on that team wasn't paid... yeah right

They were worried that if they stopped payments, then the players that were getting paid, and not yet exposed, would come forward and blow the whistle. The NCAA had not yet begun to scratch the surface and the admin thought that they had a better chance to slowly purge the system while hiding the payments from the NCAA, than quitting cold turkey and shining daylight on how big the problem really was.

Maybe this one:
1222949.jpg

Or the Bozworth book where Rick Reilly had to leave out tons of material to keep OU from recieving the death penalty.

espin seemed to try to go easy on CJames. I wonder how much he made at SMU?

some interesting threads at texags.com on the subject. don't suppose it matters to us anymore (the SWC), but interesting nonetheless. the ags are unusually and refreshingly honest about the "every one was cheating in the 80's" whereas they usually take the holier-than-thou road.

some interesting threads at texags.com on the subject. don't suppose it matters to us anymore (the SWC), but interesting nonetheless. the ags are unusually and refreshingly honest about the "every one was cheating in the 80's" whereas they usually take the holier-than-thou road.

I wonder if the gaggies ever got that TransAM back?

My favorite quote, a player talking about the 89 team after the death penalty: "we were small but we were slow".

He ripped it off from Duffy Daugherty.

Duffy listened at a banquet to a standing
ovation given to Dr. John Wilson, former Spartan

football star who became a Rhodes Scholar. “I just

want to say,” said Duffy when called on for some

remarks, “that I could have been a Rhodes Scholar,

too, except for my grades.”

His assessment of the talent he had returning

one year: “We’re small, but we’re slow.”

“Football is not a contact sport,” he said. “It’s

a collision sport. Dancing is a good idea of a

contact sport.”

That is one of my two favorite quotes from football coaches ... the other being from John McKay about his Tampa Bay Bucs team:​

When asked: Coach, how do you feel about your team's execution?

John McKay replied: "I'm in favor of it."
:smile2:​

Thanks LBuff, I'd forgotten some of the genious of John McKay. Many on AB are too young to remember him as the former U$C coach who went on to coach the expansion Tampa Bay Bucs. Just a few from JK:

- a quote on O.J. Simpson carrying the ball 47 times in a USC game: "He doesn't belong to a union. Anyway, the ball doesn't weigh that much."

- When asked how he compared coaching in Tampa to coaching at USC: "It's a three-hour time difference."

- "I thought all along that we would win 14 games. Right after the opening kickoff I said, 'Well, I'll be damned'".

- To players planning on staying in Tampa over the offseason: "Stop by my office tomorrow and pick up some fake noses and mustaches so no one recognizes your sorry asses"

- "We've determined that we can't win at home and we can't win on the road. What we need is a neutral site."

- "We'll be back. Maybe not in this century, but we'll be back."

And a link to a site with a few more:

http://www.bucpower.com/john-mckay2.html

What? I've seen a bunch of commercials lately where Jimmy Johnson is spreading the truth about ED to men all across the country.

Fantastic piece. Simply fanstastic.

I knew the basics of why SMU got the DP, but this totally puts it under a different light and actually, I think SMU somewhat comes away from this as the victim. What they did was wrong and they deserved to be punished, but why didn´t they hammer the big time programs like OU, UT, ATM etc. also? Didn´t know about the involvement of the the Texas Governeur and the way the Dallas media seemed to be hell bent on bringing them down, either. Makes for a great "what if?" discussion also. What if Stanley hadn´t spilled the beans? What would have happened to the SWC?

The NCAA guy fainting after the announcement and the NCAA´s misconception about how severe the penalty they handed out really way.

Great TV.

It does make you play a game of "what if?" If this hadn't gone down, would the SWC have collapsed? I happen to think so. UT was going to kill that conference eventually, it was only a matter of time. The death knell for that conference was the defection of Arkansas. Once Arky left, it was a foregone conclusion. Just the same as with CU and NU leaving the Big 12, it's a foregone conclusion that the B12 will die. Assuming the SWC would have folded anyway, would SMU have gone into the Big 12 instead of Baylor or Tech? Yeah, probably. Had SMU not gotten the death penalty, somebody else would have at some point, so who would it have been? Would that school have rebounded better, or worse?

Lots of things to think about. This all went down when I was at CU, so I remember this vividly.

The death penalty is a bit like dropping a nuke. You don´t really know what happens afterwards. You can imagine what happens, but I guess nobody expected the consequences to be quite this severe.

We almost lost Coach Mac to SMU in '88. I wonder how different things would've turned out if Mac left CU to go to SMU.

This was a D.O.N.E. deal, and Mac changed his mind in the 59th minute of the 11th hour. Two years later, CU went undefeated and was playing ND for the MNC. Funny how things work

This was a D.O.N.E. deal, and Mac changed his mind in the 59th minute of the 11th hour. Two years later, CU went undefeated and was playing ND for the MNC. Funny how things work

As the story goes, Marolt was very persuasive in holding him to his commitment at CU.

It was all based around the Switzer era and the probation they got put on. I dont think that one is it, I cant find the one I have, dont know what the hell I did with it.

Did you guys watch the Best That Never Was? Dupree states firmly that his mom got a new trailer from OU.

I like how Pony Excess ended...lots of college players taking money, and it throws a cloud of suspicion on some programs that probably are offended.

I hate Craig James even more now - so smarmy, and this documentary was BS on how it indicated that Dickerson got a lot of money, but oh no...not James...what a prick. I hate him...so glad he's not on gameday anymore.

Back