What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Positivity vs Negativity

Mb2658

As fans it has been too easy to succumb to the negativity or Debbie Downer effect in expecting the worst instead of the best when it comes to the football program It's a method of self preservation. If you expect the worst, you will never be disappointed and only surprised. It's a very easy trap to fall into. Isolated events that are unfortunate such as players getting arrested or no players getting drafted suddenly appear to be a harbinger of the overall status of the program whereas in the past, they would have been unfortunate but not that big of a deal.

What are you most positive about in regards to the program and what are you most negative about?

Positive:

Leavitt: His enthusiasm is infectious.
Chiaverini: He encompasses what everyone had hoped that we would get with Embree and more, a Buff with deep ties to the program and the ability to recruit.
Recruiting: We are back to being in the conversation for landing higher level recruits. There is still work to do but the trend is very positive
Facilities: This is no longer a factor. RG hit out of the park on fundraising and getting the job done.
George: We finally have a professional as the AD who knows the business and knows how to get the job done. The Administration appears to be back onboard and has given the program some much needed space from the faculty.

Negative:

Depth: The depth in certain areas is very slim such that losing one player is very difficult.
Losing Leavitt: I am scared to death that some other program is going to make a move on Leavitt and pull him away.
Student Body support: Its not where it needs to be. A lot of this will change with winning but the fact that the Athletic Department had to cut the cost of tickets shows that this is still a huge factor.

What say you?

On defense, I'm worried about whether Gillam and Tupou are able to come back and be great. I love the starting secondary, so if the defense can add a NT who controls the los while commanding a double along with an ILB who is a sideline to sideline playmaker in all phases, this CU defense could become pretty special. Without that, it's a decent defense that will still need a lot from the offense to win games.

On offense, I'm worried about everything. OL needs to gel. Someone needs to emerge at RB as a guy opposing coordinators worry about. WR is in need of returning players and new additions taking big steps forward at every spot in the 2-deep. TE/FB has been forgotten and has to emerge as something defenses need to see as a threat & account for. QB play needs to rise to a higher level to make all of this go while covering up some deficiencies (since it never happens that everything breaks the way you want it to with every position group).

On the state of the program, I think RG and CU have now provided everything needed to be great again. I see the talent and depth being a higher level than any time since the 2007 season. Maybe better than that. I just worry that it's not enough. There are no breaks other than Idaho State on this schedule and CU absolutely needs to make a bowl game this season. We've got 11 games where CU will never be a heavy favorite with about half being a coin toss and the others likely to see the Buffs as significant dogs.

Back