1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Mangino Replacements

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by HotRack, Nov 20, 2009.

1. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/blair_kerkhoff/story/1581874.html

Found this on the Big 12 Blog links an ESPN and wouldn't have have posted if not for the last line.

My Lord, the depths to which we have sunk is unbelievable. :cry: We need to emergency blow (see avatar) and FIRE HAWK NOW! :sad2:

2. unionbuff

unionbuff Club Member Club Member

Are you kidding me? They think they are north of Colorado? AAAAGH! I hate the Gayhawks!

3. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Must be nice for a program to have a couple homers like this guy in the local press corps... :lol:

4. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

If I remember my geography, they're actually due EAST of Colorado. :thumbsup:

Yeah, they're pretty proud of themselves apparently. I guess they haven't checked the overall series record lately.

5. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

What a load of ****, the CU job is miles better than the KU job. Looks like they're almost as delusional as we are, Jon Gruden is really going to coach KU. laugh. They're a lot closer to Louisville than they are to us or Virginia imo.

6. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

You're good for a handful or years, and it goes straight to your head

7. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Jaba the Hut?

8. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Compare win loss column for last 5 years.

Post follow up reply.

9. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

From Wikipedia, Mangino has a winning record against only Missouri and Iowa St, but not even Baylor!

Record against conference opponents

As of November 10, 2009.
    Team Wins Losses Win Pct. Baylor Bears 2 2 .500 Colorado Buffaloes 3 5 .375 Iowa State Cyclones 6 2 .750 Kansas State Wildcats 4 4 .500 Missouri Tigers 4 3 .571 Nebraska Corn****ers 2 5 .286 Oklahoma Sooners 0 4 .000 Oklahoma State Cowboys 1 3 .250 Texas Longhorns 0 3 .000 Texas A&M Aggies 1 3 .250 Texas Tech Red Raiders 0 4 .000 Total 23 38 .377 vs. North 19 19 .500 vs. South 4 19 .174

10. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

There is only one man who can replace Mangino, and who will be available...Charlie Weis...and even then KU is getting the short end of the bargain, pound for pound.

11. CUBuff98

CUBuff98 Club Member Club Member

Yeah, I think I just might need an "emergency blow" right now! I hope it happens soon too! :smile2:

12. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I heard that Kansas wants to go the NU route and hire brothers. These guys are on their short list:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  13. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

[​IMG]

The bonus is that KU can continue to use Mangino's sweatsuits and other coaching attire.

14. Tytechortz

Tytechortz Member

Weis could never fill mangino's jock

15. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

:lol: If either one of those guys put a jock on, they'd never find it again. It'd be like Rosie O'Donnel wearing a thong.

16. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

:lol: If either one of those guys put a jock on, they'd never find it again. It'd be like Kim Kardashian wearing a thong.

17. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

This is the program that Rick Neuheisel quit to join UW.
    This is the program that had a DA in Boulder blow up GB's program.

You guys are on another planet than reality I'm afraid. Slow rebuild is the best we can hope for, unless we find a gimmick offense or get lucky with a hire, something that many schools in our position have failed to do.

18. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Slow rebuild would have to be something more than the "progress" of four straight losing seasons....

19. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

Can't get the god for sakin image out of my mind ahhhhhhhhhhhhh :wow:

20. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

The best replacement for Mangino, and I am only half kidding, would be Ralph Friedgen. He's about as good a coach as Kansas could get, and they could save the money they intended to use on the buyout of Mangino's tailor.

footballcoachscoop is reporting that Friedgen is out at Maryland.

21. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Weis looks fit compared to Mangino. If I were AD, I'd be worried about the health of both.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

22. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Their best hope

[​IMG]

About the same size and color as Mangino. Would work for peanuts.

23. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

I see. If KU just takes Charlie Weis, they wouldn't need to order any new gear in whatever special size that must be.

24. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

And Weis probably brings his own belt extender on the team plane.

25. Pale Ale

Pale Ale Well-Known Member

Mangino is big, but Weis is just unhappily built. I bet he hasn't seen his manhood in years.

26. MtnBuff

Thar she blows, man the harpoons!

27. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

I ran across this little tidbit about Mangino's contract:

Maybe that is what Kansas is doing with all this "he's a bad man" crap. They want to stress him out so much that he has a heart attack and dies, then they collect $2 million and move on.

but the funniest thing:

Personally I would have thought his fatness only needed three seats, but I guess he needs some elbow room.

28. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

I understand the ease of dismissing this article and bashing Mangino, but the "north of Colorado quote" is not that far off.

First of all, let's talk money. Mangino is making $2.3 million, that is more than double Hawkins and in the top 20 nationally.

Secondly: "The $31 million Anderson Family Football Complex, home to the coaches’ offices, meeting rooms and weight room, is a showcase. The proposed Gridiron Club facility, the press-box looking structure on the opposite side only not for the press, looks like a smaller version of Oklahoma’s structure."

We couldn't get $1 million to build a bubble.

Third: "Kansas averaged 50,581 this season, the second best in school history and approached 40,000 in season tickets, a high-water mark."

We don't have close to 40,000 season ticket holders.

Lastly, Football will always be second-fiddle at KU, it is a pretty cushy job if you can be moderately successful.

29. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Mangino got paid because he won an Orange Bowl. I don't know the exact figures, but I venture to guess he wasn't getting paid any more than Hawk is before that. We aren't paying Hawk like a top of the conference coach because he sucks.

I'll concede that the facilities are something of an issue, but it's probably fair to assume that a lot of the money KU has comes from their basketball team which is probably top 5 in the country all time.

So anyway, basically is what I'm hearing is: KU has a nice facility and can get a retard admitted into their school, therefore it's a better job than CU, which has done a lot more in it's history than KU will ever do.

30. MtnBuff

KU is on an up cycle right now aftertheir Orange Bowl and top 10 rankings. This year started their slide back downwards. They had a remarkable run of untouted recruits developing into top quality players, that does not appear to be repeating itself as the quality of their talent is declining. As the wins drop off the attention will return to the BB program and their FB attendance will drop off significantly. It may not return to the pits it was in before Mangino started to win but it will drop off. CU average attendance this year was not that far behind KU even with the fourth year of a disappointing coaching reign.