What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Possible Replacements for Embree

Despite the fact that the circumstances are different with Embree, I don't see him getting fired either this season or next. They held onto Hawk too long and they have the football program right where they want it - an afterthought when it comes to the university instead of it being in the limelight. Why would the administration suddenly change their tune now?

I think 0-12 in one's second season is a mark of futility that no coach survives, even at CU. It's far different from a 3 win season.

Despite the fact that the circumstances are different with Embree, I don't see him getting fired either this season or next. They held onto Hawk too long and they have the football program right where they want it - an afterthought when it comes to the university instead of it being in the limelight. Why would the administration suddenly change their tune now?

NO WAY they keep him after next season if they finish with 4 or less wins again. Might be hard to rationalize it if they don't get at least 6 wins next year.

I think 0-12 in one's second season is a mark of futility that no coach survives, even at CU. It's far different from a 3 win season.

I hope you're right (not about the 0-12 part, unless that's what it takes to get the admin to make a move), but I honestly don't think he would get canned even if we go winless this year.

Basketball

What about it? Yes last year was great and the future is very promising, but it wasn't because the administration put an emphasis on bringing life to the program.

Embree isn't getting fired. Even if we don't win a single game. He will be here next year. And in the .000000001% chance he is fire we are not getting any big name proven coach in here. They gave Hawkins 5 years. Why would they go and fire Embree after two?

I agree they won't fire Embree this season no matter what. If they did, though, Petrino would take the job. He's damaged goods, just like our program. It's clear that he isn't a great guy, but he is a great coach and could probably win more than he lost with the players that are here now.

I hope you're right (not about the 0-12 part, unless that's what it takes to get the admin to make a move), but I honestly don't think he would get canned even if we go winless this year.

What about it? Yes last year was great and the future is very promising, but it wasn't because the administration put an emphasis on bringing life to the program.
Holding out hope that they have started to realize that having good athletics (basketball) can add value to a university.

Holding out hope that they have started to realize that having good athletics (basketball) can add value to a university.

I see your point and I wholeheartedly agree about good athletics adding positive value, but good luck with the administration coming to that realization.

Basketball

The basketball team situation is exactly what the admin would like for the football program - find a great coach who's dying to coach here before somebody else with a bigger wallet comes along. That doesn't happen in football.

The basketball team situation is exactly what the admin would like for the football program - find a great coach who's dying to coach here before somebody else with a bigger wallet comes along. That doesn't happen in football.

And to be honest doesn't really happen in bball unless the "dream school" is UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA and KU. We got seriously lucky with Boyle in a way that makes the hiring of Mac and his championship look pale in comparison. Think about it, Boyle is doing great things with Benson and DiStephano. Mac had Eddie Crowder who did great things for the AD and Gordon Gee, arguably one of the biggest proponents of college athletics in everyone on this board's lifetime.

I believe we could get a high quality coach to come to Boulder. Not a world-class coach in demand by all BCS programs but an up and comer or again someone like Petrino who needs a second chance. Here's why:

1.) we are in a major BCS conference.
2.) there is nowhere to go but up
3.) coaches are competitive-they see other good coaches coming to the Pac 12 and believe they can compete w/ the big boys
4.) I actually do believe Embree & Co are doing a good job recruiting given our record and the shelves we be much better stocked (look no further than Dillon and Sefo)
5.) Boulder is one of the best places to live in the U.S.

I'd be all for Petrino too, but I don't think there's any way in hell this administration would even consider hiring him.

I'd be all for Petrino too, but I don't think there's any way in hell this administration would even consider hiring him.

This is correct. Petrino won't be coming here. Even if some minor miracle happened, and the administration was willing to hire him, Petrino would probably still rather go somewhere else. Some SEC or ACC team like Kentucky or Pitt will probably offer him an equally large paycheck, but without the attention that would come with a CU offer.

It is sad to see Petrino keep getting mentioned, because I really feel he would come here, and he would do very very well here.... but we all no how gutless the administration is and would never let that fly. I fully expect that Troy Calhoun will be the candidate they want and get if Embo gets the axe.

I have to agree that there's no way we bring in Petrino. An SEC school just fired him, there's no way CU is going to touch that. I don't think time will help either. Example, would we hire Jim Leavitt? Mike Leach? Mike Price? George O'Leary? Pretty sure the answer to all of those is no.

This is correct. Petrino won't be coming here. Even if some minor miracle happened, and the administration was willing to hire him, Petrino would probably still rather go somewhere else. Some SEC or ACC team like Kentucky or Pitt will probably offer him an equally large paycheck, but without the attention that would come with a CU offer.

Hopefully we'll have some new blood at the top by then. And I could see Petrino wanting to start fresh an a school not in the South

Notre Dame has paid dearly for firing O'Leary over a stupid lie on his resume. He's made Central Florida into a pretty good program.

If and when this happens, and I hope it does, I want to see a full and thorough search. No more bull**** committees, no more glory day hires. Just run a thorough search for a quality HC

We should be asking ouselves who we replace EB with at OC at the end of the year. After 15 games calling plays, it's pretty clear he's not an Xs & Os genius, and not the long term answer?

I would say you all have legit points but it doesn't matter if the admin doesn't give a **** if the football team goes 10-2 or 0-12. Embree isn't going anywhere.

200110-2
20029-4
20035-7
20047-5
20057-5
20062-10
20076-6
20085-7
20093-9
20105-7
20113-10

Not the record of a school that gives a **** about it's football program. The last time we won more games than we lost was 2005. How old where you in 2005?

35. Same as I am this year.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Tedford's at the top of my list if Embree fails. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. He's run his course at Cal, but would be great here to rebuild. Instant recruiting impact, too.

Back