What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Possible Replacements for Embree

Sonny Dykes seems like a good one. Nice air raid offense as well (really think we need to go this route) and has gone 5-7 to 8-5 and 1-0 at La Tech. Also looks like as a OC at Arizona, he did a nice job.

Sonny Dykes joined Mike Stoops' staff at Arizona as offensive coordinator in 2007. In his first season leading the Wildcats' offense, Dykes increased Arizona's offensive output by 130 yards per game and finished second in the Pac-10 in passing offense with a school-record 308 yards per game. Arizona's pass efficiency rating increased 32 points from 2006 to 2007. In 2007, Arizona set single-season records for passing yards, passing yards per game, completions, touchdown passes and completion percentage, in addition to many single-game records by quarterback Willie Tuitama.During the 2008 season, Dykes helped lead Arizona to eight victories and program's first winning season since the 1998 season. Arizona earned their first bowl appearance since 1998 and defeated #16 BYU 31–21 in the 2008 Las Vegas Bowl. In that game, the Wildcats' 31 points were the most in Arizona bowl history. Wide receiver Mike Thomas set the record for the most receptions by any receiver in Pac-10 history. Rob Gronkowski set the school tight end records for single-game, single-season, and career receptions, yards, and touchdowns. Gronkowski was named an Associated Press third-team All-American and All-Pac-10 first-team tight end.
During the 2009 season, Dykes helped lead Arizona to their second consecutive eight-win season and a second place Pac-10 finish, the program's highest since 1998. In the final game of the regular season, Arizona defeated #20 USC 21–17, the Wildcats' first victory over a Pete Carroll-coached USC team. Arizona finished the regular season ranked #22 in the AP Poll, the Wildcats' first national ranking since the 2000 season. The Wildcats' season culminated will an appearance in the 2009 Holiday Bowl. During the 2009 season, Dykes was named as one of the nominees for the Broyles Award, an honor that awarded to the nation's best college football assistant coach.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Dykes

We could do a lot worse than Tedford or Mark Richt. As mentioned, I think we would have a hard time pulling Smart out of the SEC. Not saying do not try, I think we should. Just saying that maybe a very long shot.

Most of these guys know about their system, but my fave President Bill Clinton reminded us all that we need to do some plain ole arithmetic when thinking about a big decision.

Slow your rolls and ask yourself this fundamental question:

How many of these coaches are going to take $750K -- $1mm per year to coach Colorado?

For many of the guys y'all have listed, $750K -- $1mm is a pay cut. For many of the guys listed, their current non BCS job is better than Colorado. For the coordinators, they'll be on lists for programs who give a **** about football. We are terrible. The light at the end of the tunnel is exceedingly dim. Hell, even though they can't pay for their fantasies, Little Brother U's administration cares more about football than ours does.

No connection to Colorado? A hot coordinator? Keep dreaming, Lennon.

Most of these guys know about their system, but my fave President Bill Clinton reminded us all that we need to do some plain ole arithmetic when thinking about a big decision.

Slow your rolls and ask yourself this fundamental question:

How many of these coaches are going to take $750K -- $1mm per year to coach Colorado?

For many of the guys y'all have listed, $750K -- $1mm is a pay cut. For many of the guys listed, their current non BCS job is better than Colorado. For the coordinators, they'll be on lists for programs who give a **** about football. We are terrible. The light at the end of the tunnel is exceedingly dim. Hell, even though they can't pay for their fantasies, Little Brother U's administration cares more about football than ours does.

No connection to Colorado? A hot coordinator? Keep dreaming, Lennon.
Step 1: establish unreasonable and unrealistic ceiling on coaching salary.
Step 2: feel smug about sucky outlook.

Step 1: establish unreasonable and unrealistic ceiling on coaching salary.
Step 2: feel smug about sucky outlook.

1. What leads you to believe that the University of Colorado admin as it is currently composed is willing to spend significant $$$ on the football program starting with the Head Coach?
2. I don't feel smug; I am completely devastated. In the last twenty years, we have gone from fielding teams who have regularly competed at the highest levels to an also-ran. Most of it is related to the administration's inability to show people in the University community that having a good football team really helps to solve a lot of greater money problems. The school does not care about football. Many would be happier if the team went away. If you think that a hot coach wants to come to CU, you're delusional.

1. What leads you to believe that the University of Colorado admin as it is currently composed is willing to spend significant $$$ on the football program starting with the Head Coach?
2. I don't feel smug; I am completely devastated. In the last twenty years, we have gone from fielding teams who have regularly competed at the highest levels to an also-ran. Most of it is related to the administration's inability to show people in the University community that having a good football team really helps to solve a lot of greater money problems. The school does not care about football. Many would be happier if the team went away. If you think that a hot coach wants to come to CU, you're delusional.

The fact that our coaching staff, when it was hired, had a total salary higher than half the pac 12. We paid big $ for assistants.

Has Larry Coker even had another job since he got canned at Miami?

And apparently he has, at UTSA..

No thank you.

Dykes intrigues me too. His offenses always produce and he seems to be doing a solid job at LT. Can't say I'm a fan of the air raid, but I am a fan of points. Any offense that will score points is ok in my book.

Another name that intrigues me is Chavis, LSU's defensive coordinator. He has consistently had good defenses, even at the HBCU's that he coached at. No HC experience, but coordinator at big-time programs and would likely have enough connections to put together a decent staff. No clue how much he would cost...

The fact that our coaching staff, when it was hired, had a total salary higher than half the pac 12. We paid big $ for assistants.

Yeah, because select donors were running the show and agreed to pay for people who have history with the program. As it stands, our staff is NOT amongst the highest paid in the conference (as you state). I wish that we'd ante up, but it ain't happening. We should understand that.

Yeah, because select donors were running the show and agreed to pay for people who have history with the program. As it stands, our staff is NOT amongst the highest paid in the conference (as you state). I wish that we'd ante up, but it ain't happening. We should understand that.
Hmm. what has changed since we hired the staff. Something about a new conference, I think. Maybe another 20 million dollars coming in per year that we didn't have at the time we hired the staff. Maybe. something like that, probably.

The assistants are and Embree (doesn't deserve a dime more than he is making right now), took a paycut to pay his assistants better, and that was during the time when we were paying Halk and the Big 12 exit fee, we have neither of those to pay now, or if we do, we can still pay a good amount due to the Pac 12 money. There's not much doubt in my mind that Bohn will be willing to pay a good sum for a coach. Hell, Hawkins had a $1.3M/year salary, it's not unreasonable one bit that he would pay $2M+ for a new coach.

Washington State and Arizona are paying their new football coaches in the region of 2m per year. The same Arizona, where football is an afterthought.

If the PAC 12 money enables those 2 to pay their head coach 2m per, you'd hope and think the same is possible at a school where football at least used to be king.

Why is it that we have the thought that if a coach wins here he's gone? We have money to pay (obviously not SEC money) and should have some excellent facilities coming (once again won't be top notch by SEC standards) and a fanbase that is desperately wanting a winner. So long as theirs no scandals and he wins 8 games a year or so, you won't have to worry about being fired. They'd have legit chances at conference titles (not so much against Georgia, Alabama, LSU, and maybe Auburn or Florida) at CU. Don't get it.

Like Gary Barnett said, "CU is a gold mine"

It's just buried under all the political crap of the city of Boulder, the narrow-minded academia, and the CU administrators and it would take some major TNT (big political donors) to get to that gold.

Does CU really need to care what the people of Boulder who are in no way affiliated with the university think? I mean, we're essentially a private school, right?

Does CU really need to care what the people of Boulder who are in no way affiliated with the university think? I mean, we're essentially a private school, right?
Well yes, I mean Colorado is last in he union in financially supporting the university. Flagship my arse, they dont care one way or another. Boulder is pretty stupid in biting a major hand that feeds them.

Wasn't Dykes high on the list before we had to deal with Hawk's fifth year? I seem to remember hearing a lot about him.

Jim Tressel, works in the booth for the Colts, I'm sure he wants to get back on the field.

Nick Alioti from Oregon, is a very intriguing name.

Dave Christensen from Wyoming has proven that he can coach. Could be almost Tad-like.

Jim Tressel, works in the booth for the Colts, I'm sure he wants to get back on the field. YES

Nick Alioti from Oregon, is a very intriguing name. Maybe

Dave Christensen from Wyoming has proven that he can coach. Could be almost Tad-like. NO

I wonder how good a college HC Gruden would be? I don't even know his background, to tell the truth.

Like Gary Barnett said, "CU is a gold mine"

It's just buried under all the political crap of the city of Boulder, the narrow-minded academia, and the CU administrators and it would take some major TNT (big political donors) to get to that gold.
I thought that was Mac's line. But your point is well taken.

Back