1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post-penalty kickoff strategy

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by J-R-K, Dec 5, 2013.

1. J-R-K

J-R-K Well-Known Member

See this a couple time every weekend, because of a personal foul penalty a team is kicking off from the 50 and like clockwork every time they just boom it through the end-zone. Why not a surprise onside kick? Doesn't the chance to get the ball and in great field position outweigh a relatively small yardage loss if the kick isn't successful? Touchbacks come out to the 25, unsuccessful onside kick and the other team may be starting at the 37 or so. At the very least why not do a squib or pooch kick to try and back the other team up. It's not like when you punt from mid-field coaches tell their punters to purposely kick a touchback.

2. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

I've seen it happen before. I don't know how much of a surprise it would be, really. Coaches probably think the same way you do.

3. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

coaches are smarter than that.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Most coaches are conservative. Kicking off is a dangerous play that can quickly switch the momentum you just gained by scoring. They're more than happy to take that play out of the equation and have the other team start from its 25 against a fired up defense.

5. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

I'm not sure of the rule but why not punt the ball from the 50. Kick it high and they will either field it deep or they fair catch it.