What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Post your spring game observations

I think if this team won four games, a lot of it would depend on how those games were lost. If we're like Utah was last year where they lost a lot of close games but also upset a big name, I don't think it would hurt. If we win four but we get blown out in our Pac 12 losses that'd hurt us.

I wanted to make sure that I mentioned Creer in one of my posts today.

It was so exciting to see him back on the field carrying the rock after what he went through. (Redshirt should not have been pulled at that point in the season and then to go down like that almost immediately... tragic.)

Malcolm is going to help us win some games this year.

I think if this team won four games, a lot of it would depend on how those games were lost. If we're like Utah was last year where they lost a lot of close games but also upset a big name, I don't think it would hurt. If we win four but we get blown out in our Pac 12 losses that'd hurt us.

The stretch of USC, UCLA, UW, UA, UO is tough. Any confidence we gain in the early going could be completely destroyed over that 5 game span. If CU is going to make a statement, I think it is by winning one of those games. UA may be our best shot but it is on the road and I don't trust the buffs at all on the road. Need to be hot out of the gate and win 3 of the first 4.

The stretch of USC, UCLA, UW, UA, UO is tough. Any confidence we gain in the early going could be completely destroyed over that 5 game span. If CU is going to make a statement, I think it is by winning one of those games. UA may be our best shot but it is on the road and I don't trust the buffs at all on the road. Need to be hot out of the gate and win 3 of the first 4.
Call me crazy, but with how we played UCLA last year I think that may be our best shot. Maybe UW.

Call me crazy, but with how we played UCLA last year I think that may be our best shot. Maybe UW.

I think UCLA would be a huge statement win if they can pull it off. They will likely be top 25 and probably first place in the south by the time we play them.

Buffs need to be 4-2 after the first 6 to be positioned for a decent shot at a bowl game, I think.

Buffs need to be 4-2 after the first 6 to be positioned for a decent shot at a bowl game, I think.

The 3 OOC and Cal are probably our most likely. OSU at home could be too, but I haven't gotten so burned the past couple years of thinking the buffs should be able to handle their business against other Pac-12 teams. If I wanted to look at it through gold colored glass I would say that we could and maybe should be 5-1 before that stretch. I just don't see it happening right now. Hopefully this summer is good to the OL and they find the lightbulb.

UCLA is a top 10 team next season. Might be the best team in the conference.

You are likely correct. However they seem to be one of those teams that does less with more historically. Things are looking good in westwood right now though.

As far as OL, I think we can safely say there will not be huge strides made from the young guys between now and August. Have to hope Irwin gets healthy, Mustoe gets healthy, and Weifels asserts himself. It can be done, but depth will likely be non-existent this year.

As far as OL, I think we can safely say there will not be huge strides made from the young guys between now and August. Have to hope Irwin gets healthy, Mustoe gets healthy, and Weifels asserts himself. It can be done, but depth will likely be non-existent this year.

:nod:

This year is kind of a patchwork OL year where we just hope that they can find a unit that holds its own.

2015, we should have a bunch of talented 21 and 22 year olds starting (including a certain transfer).

If Mac can squeeze 6 wins out of them this year I think 2015 shapes up to be a fun one. One of the first in a long time.

I think 2015 is the year you look for a big jump regardless. The conference is stacked in 2014, but at least half the teams will be breaking in new QBs in 2015, will be very much a transition year.

I look for 4-5 wins in 2014, with the possibility of one big upset. Both lines have too many question marks to say this is a bowl team IMO.

Republican convention on campus at the Keg I think chewed up all the parking. Oh the irony.

Gerhke looked solid at QB. Sefo looked like Sefo.
Bobo looked excellent at WR (Spruce only handled punts and fair caught all). Walker seemed pretty good but didn't do much.
Powell looked good. Jones looked good.
The OL opened some decent holes.

Defense got to the QB here and there.
I think the generated a take away or two.
Does a bad defense make a bad offense look good?

We look like we are slowly getting better.

I know this has been talked about a lot, but I think it was clear from the game today that this staff is the best we've had at coaching up players in a long time. The players who have been in Coach Mac's system for a year now know what to do and where to be at all times, whether they have the speed/strength to be able to do that remains the question mark. The older guys are doing a great job of holding the younger guys accountable for their roles. My favorite part of the game today was when the white team took an outside run for about 15 yards and immediately Henington was all over Patrick Ewing (I think???) for being out of position. The best part was that Mac didn't have to say much to him after Henington got on him. IMO that is an important piece of a successful team, the coaches aren't always going to see everything and the players need to hold each other accountable. The team is really coming together as a cohesive unit.

I know this has been talked about a lot, but I think it was clear from the game today that this staff is the best we've had at coaching up players in a long time. The players who have been in Coach Mac's system for a year now know what to do and where to be at all times, whether they have the speed/strength to be able to do that remains the question mark. The older guys are doing a great job of holding the younger guys accountable for their roles. My favorite part of the game today was when the white team took an outside run for about 15 yards and immediately Henington was all over Patrick Ewing (I think???) for being out of position. The best part was that Mac didn't have to say much to him after Henington got on him. IMO that is an important piece of a successful team, the coaches aren't always going to see everything and the players need to hold each other accountable. The team is really coming together as a cohesive unit.

We've heard this party line for 8 straight years. Let me know when McIntyre actually beats out a pac12 school for a few recruits, then we can start talking.

We've heard this party line for 8 straight years. Let me know when McIntyre actually beats out a pac12 school for a few recruits, then we can start talking.

You're not one who should be bagging on being repetitive. And last I checked, this thread is about the spring game and not recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Good:
Gehrke looked like a solid backup, we aren't going to be lost if Sefo goes down for a few series
Sefo looked like he was bigger, stronger, and has been working hard on improving his fundamentals. He is never going to wow anyone with his physical abilities but he continues to show that he has what it takes to get things done.
Witherspoon looks like a big time addition, playmaker at DB
ToJo looked good but I'll believe it when I see it against an actual opponent.
We will of course miss PRich at WR but we at least have some guys who can stretch the field enough to loosen up the defenses a little bit.
This team looks like a college football team, not a Chinese fire drill. They ran whole series in the time it would have taken the prior regeims pick up a delay of game penalty. We may not have the best talent but our overall coaching is miles ahead of where we were.
Gillam - Don't need to say more.
Tuopu looks like he is ready for business, big step up and he wasn't bad before.

The Bad:
OL scares me. Good think Gehrke looks like a solid back-up because Sefo is going to get hit and hit a lot.
Drops, we had to many passes that didn't get caught that should have been.
RB - Although a lot of this was on the OL I didn't see a lot of playmaking ability outside of ToJo who does it in settings like this then dissapears against guys in different colored jerseys
DB, Especially safety. Had a couple of guys stand out like Witherspoon and Chido but I also a lot of WRs running free which wouldn't be a bad thing but it wasn't because of great moves or superior talent.
Pass rush, even with the not so great OL play was inconsistent at best in getting pressure on the QB.
TE did a decent job of blocking and Irwin had a nice grab and ran over some people but overall a non-factor in the recieving game still.

Spruce and Witherspoon are boss. Playing with a lot of confidence. McCartney has filled out quit a bit.

Noticed that overall the team looked more physically solid, hard to judge without an opponent on the field against them but it looks like some guys have matured physically

Remember when Mtn had a crush on ToJo?

TJ looked like he has improved. He was running hard north & south and actually made a couple people miss.

This year is kind of a patchwork OL year where we just hope that they can find a unit that holds its own.

Live heard this tune before. In fact, it seems to be played on some kind of sick loop tape.

Remember when Mtn had a crush on ToJo?

ToJo has some breakaway speed. His biggest problem is that he is a guy who needs time to find and get through a hole before using that speed. We aren't good enough to consistently get him that.

I still think on a team with a better OL he would be a significant big play threat, unfortunately for what we have he isn't, we need guys who can take advantage of what our line gives them and ToJo isn't that.

When he took over, didn't Mac say it'd take about 18 months for the S&C stuff to be fully effective? Well, we will be at 18 months at the end of the summer.

My thoughts:

OL is scary. Nembot has the physique adn the size but if I were to guess, his biggest problem is footwork, guy gets juked regularly and doesn't handle a speed rush very well. Munyer is the best OL IMO. After that, look out.

Sefo played well, had a beautiful back shoulder throw to Walker for a TD, you could see it coming and it was perfect. Gehrke has a better arm than I thought, given the practice reports, but he still puts a lot of air under the long ball. If DB's get their heads around on those, it will be pick city.

Creer and Crowder played, Creer looked good. Lindsay is small but fast and runs angry, there is a lot to like there. Adkins is the cream of the crop.

Bobo is a player IMO. Walker is too. Add in a very reliable Spruce, Fields coming in and Irwin at TE and there a several good options at WR.

Witherspoon is a player. He is going to be good. Tupou is very good. Gilliam is well, Gilliam, beyond that there is some work to do, but I expect the defense will be quite a bit better than last year.

Gonzales booms the ball. Overall, improvement, but still a 4-5 win team because of the lack of OL. That is going to hurt

Team captains: Munyer, Sefo, Gilliam, Parker and Terrell Smith.

Mac lost a lot of weight, he looks downright skinny....

my .02.

Back