What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Posting info & referencing sources

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
As you all know (or should know) the basic policy here is to give credit to your source of information and include a link back to that source.

When it comes to premium sites, we don't post their information while it is still their exclusive story. Wait until there is secondary confirmation of the same story either at a different premium site, social media or public news outlet. Also, avoid crediting "confirmation" without crediting who actually broke the story. I don't expect anyone to research the internet for time stamps to see who broke what first, but if you know then don't play games with it. We're a co-op fan site that's just here to promote the Buffs, compile the info that's out there, and hang out. For the premium sites, it's a competitive business. AllBuffs does not have a stake in who wins that competition. Our stake is for there to be the best information (and as much of it) as possible to be available to Buff fans.

Regarding the quoting of text from premium articles, try to keep it short. They're happy to get the link back and let us quote part of their articles as long as we keep the quote as a snippet and don't re-publish the entire thing (or substantially all of it).

To this point, Rivals and Scout had previously ok'd this limited quotation of their articles. That still stands. Following a conversation with AZ this morning, we also have the ok to quote BuffScoop articles and interviews in this way.

Finally, and most importantly, the more you contribute in this way the less work that I and the other mods have to do.

As you all know (or should know) the basic policy here is to give credit to your source of information and include a link back to that source.

When it comes to premium sites, we don't post their information while it is still their exclusive story. Wait until there is secondary confirmation of the same story either at a different premium site, social media or public news outlet. Also, avoid crediting "confirmation" without crediting who actually broke the story. I don't expect anyone to research the internet for time stamps to see who broke what first, but if you know then don't play games with it. We're a co-op fan site that's just here to promote the Buffs, compile the info that's out there, and hang out. For the premium sites, it's a competitive business. AllBuffs does not have a stake in who wins that competition. Our stake is for there to be the best information (and as much of it) as possible to be available to Buff fans.

Regarding the quoting of text from premium articles, try to keep it short. They're happy to get the link back and let us quote part of their articles as long as we keep the quote as a snippet and don't re-publish the entire thing (or substantially all of it).

To this point, Rivals and Scout had previously ok'd this limited quotation of their articles. That still stands. Following a conversation with AZ this morning, we also have the ok to quote BuffScoop articles and interviews in this way.

Finally, and most importantly, the more you contribute in this way the less work that I and the other mods have to do.

So one thing I have a problem with Scout and Rivals dont care if we link back here, and they are large traffic drivers for us. YngC previously told us in his January journalism seminar that buffscoop (as is standard practice on the internet according to him) doesnt allow links to other sites, and our traffic numbers from them would seem to indicate that this is true.

YngC
Junction I don't know if you missed it, but I already addressed your incorrect notion that we don't cite our competition. While we don't allow links, that's standard practice. When information from Rivals is brought to our site, it's either cited as Rivals or TOS. Again, standard practice.
http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....amateur-athletic-message-boards-and-notoriety

Presumably tweets are public domain, even if the reporter works for a premium site right? E.G. can we post that X just tweeted Y with no link as long as we cite the author of the tweet?

Presumably tweets are public domain, even if the reporter works for a premium site right? E.G. can we post that X just tweeted Y with no link as long as we cite the author of the tweet?

yes

As abs said, "yes". I know that Scout's Huffman and Biggins, for example, often tweet about a commitment immediately. Sometimes before they publish their article to Scout. If they do that, it's public.

Thanks for the advisory, Buffnik. I follow AllBuffs because you have the most comprehensive summary of CU recruits that there is and are an excellent resource. Typically when I hear about a player I don't know about, I simply Google the player's name and "AllBuffs" next to it. Voila! Magic happens! I also understand and support your policy noted above on your interaction with premium sites.

That said, it's great that you have a working relationship with BuffScoop. When it comes to the premium pay sites, Scout, while not having much Colorado board action, does have perhaps the best West Coast reporting on recruits, and also is the high volume site at a couple of CU's Pac-12 opponents. Rivals of course has Adam's solid reporting, and an excellent national database, although with serious board discussion you often have to put up with endless arguments that don't exactly shed much light. BuffScoop is a different animal, a little edgy and repeatedly on the front end of breaking news, sometimes way ahead of the other services on commitments and with insight into team interplay.

I visit all of the sites for different reasons. To the extent that AllBuffs has a close working relationship with BuffScoop, your readers will benefit greatly.

I love all the sites for my own reasons. Adam does a good job, Ringo has his own thing and so does AZ. ALLBUFFS has grown TREMENDOUSLY in the two years i've been on it, special shout out to all the guys doing work here making this a great site.

AZ gets a bad rep in my opinion and until I see differently, will defend that site.

I think better maturity should be desired by hater Buff fans on any of these groups. We're all going for the same thing... to pull this program in the right direction, build the best fan-base possible in the PAC 12/country and win some mother ****ing championships. Get on board as a group, stop this petty fighting or GTFO of the way.

Back