What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Powell out for Saturday's Game

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/1427

The loss is a serious blow to the Wildcats' special teams unit. Entering last week, Powell led the nation with a kickoff return average of 34.6 yards. He was a threat to score on every kick, and returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown against Baylor.
His speed and elusiveness also provided K-State with a nice change-of-pace runner behind Daniel Thomas. In limited action this season, Powell ran for 250 yards and four touchdowns on 23 attempts.

Good.

Hey, I missed the game. Did we have any major ST gaffes?

Surprisingly, special teams was solid. 2/2 on field goals and a 90 yard KO return to setup a TD, and a fumble recovery of an punt to ISU. The only complaint I had was they were routinely returning our kickoffs past the 30 yard line.

Surprisingly, special teams was solid. 2/2 on field goals and a 90 yard KO return to setup a TD, and a fumble recovery of an punt to ISU. The only complaint I had was they were routinely returning our kickoffs past the 30 yard line.

:yeahthat: Each kickoff return went out past the 20, most near the 30. Otherwise, one of the better performances of the year on special teams (not that the bar was set that high).

Special teams also had 2 penalties for 35 yards.

I still don't think our guy touched the punt returner on the one penalty. The ref that threw the flag was behind the play. That was grossnickle's best punt too.

The KO return was great, and was clearly the result of some scouting. ISU wasn't kicking to Clemmons for a reason. They were worried about him. The fake pitch played right into their concerns.

However, kickoff coverage was awful, and our punting was a disgrace. True, Goodman was 2/2 on FGs, but the second FG was literally inches from the right post when it went through.

If Olatoye had not gotten to the returner, it might have been ugly. I know, I know.....if if if if. Yet the PR had weaved his way 10 or 15 yards thru the coverage team already and was basically looking at the last defender when Deji hit him.

Still a work in progress, imo.

Punting and kick-off needs help.

Punting problems are a mix of Zack's inconsistency and discipline from the rest of the team not to commit penalties.

Grossnickel's punting on sat didn't include any rugby kicks. However his hangtime was all over the place, and he's not getting good yardage.

Iowa State had a better punter - consistenlu going into a corner. And a number of their kickoffs went through the end zone.

Jaffee's fake lateral return, however, was electric. Best KR of the year.

I was really impressed with Iowa State's punter. He is a true freshman which is even more impressive to me.
CU needs to search nationwide to find one.

I agree, punting needs some serious help...we are netting like 18 yards on a punt, so we should really be going for it on 4th down if we are around the 50.

Back