What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Practice Observations

+1. Even when our GB teams were declining, we were still beating Tech nearly every time. I always felt that was because we dominated in the trenches.

Greg Brown owned Leach. He had special coverage's used for TT.

Why do you think the Air Raid offense will translate into wins for CU?
I have no idea if it will. I'm just saying that I don't really care about the aesthetics of an offense IF it produces points and wins.

I like every offense when it is executed properly. Bad execution is just bad football, it has nothing to do with a certain style. I also appreciate good defense so I don't sit and bitch about games that aren't 42-35.

I like every offense when it is executed properly. Bad execution is just bad football, it has nothing to do with a certain style. I also appreciate good defense so I don't sit and bitch about games that aren't 42-35.

I have a preference for mobile QBs, run-first offenses that look for big plays out of the passing game. Basically, Urban Meyer's offensive philosophy.

That's what I prefer if I'm going to watch a game in which I don't have a rooting interest. I'd enjoy the hell out of it at CU, but I'm also at a point where I'd love it if CU was able to win the majority of its games running QB sneak every down. :ROFLMAO:

I have a preference for mobile QBs, run-first offenses that look for big plays out of the passing game. Basically, Urban Meyer's offensive philosophy.

That's what I prefer if I'm going to watch a game in which I don't have a rooting interest. I'd enjoy the hell out of it at CU, but I'm also at a point where I'd love it if CU was able to win the majority of its games running QB sneak every down. :ROFLMAO:
Then you shouldn't have run Embree out of town

CU is not going full Air Raid offense. At least from what we know. I think they are implementing certain aspects from the Air Raid. I am actually intrigued with usage of double RB's with a lead blocker. I think Frazier or even Lindsay would be great in this roll with Lee/Adkins with the ball. Other than that, I think you just see more of a quicker type offense with quicker reads.

You have the manners of a goat. And you smell like a dung heap. And you have no knowledge of your potential. Now– get out!
You sometimes have substance in your posts, BJ, but apparently not this time. You make a flat statement like that and don't want to back it up.

All good here - I just disagree. Welcome to pre-season!

You sometimes have substance in your posts, BJ, but apparently not this time. You make a flat statement like that and don't want to back it up.

All good here - I just disagree. Welcome to pre-season!

Learn your Highlander quotes.

I am curious as to what the offense will actually be? Some think we are going total Air Raid but that type of change seems to be a little bit of a stretch. I like Chiaverini but he was a co-wr coach at Texas Tech for a short period of time. It seems that his level of experience with that offense would be on the light side to do a major overhaul of the CU offense. I expect CU to run pretty much the same offense as before with a few more Air Raid twists in it. I look at OU last year - they brought in Lincoln Riley to take them back to the offense that won the MNC for them. He had a lot more experience in the Air Raid then Chiaverini and OU struggled with the offense for the first half of the season.

Ah, you got me with that one.

I have something to say! It's better to burn out than to fade away!
tumblr_mo5y2qBb4Q1sroq5qo1_500.gif

M2 isn't leach, he isn't going full air raid, wouldn't if he could.

What he will do, and both he and Chev have talked about this, is use certain concepts to expand what they are able to do and force defenses to adjust to them opening up other things.

The offense last year had no rhythm to it. The thing about the air raid is it gets WR's in open space where they can catch and run. When the QB starts completing passes even short ones it gives the offense some momentum. Something they never found last year. Expect to see Sefo get the ball out quick and let these receivers do their thing.

The offense last year had no rhythm to it. The thing about the air raid is it gets WR's in open space where they can catch and run. When the QB starts completing passes even short ones it gives the offense some momentum. Something they never found last year. Expect to see Sefo get the ball out quick and let these receivers do their thing.

That's the hope. Get some easy completions to get Sefo in rhythm while slowing the pass rush by gassing them when they've got no chance to get to the QB in time, maybe causing a missed tackle for a big play. It sounds good and is probably a good adjustment.

I had posted this earlier in 'Nik's thread about the season, our offensive scheme has to change. I think the minor success of '14 largely caught up to us in '15 when Hawaii exposed us with the all out blitzes. Lack of playmakers on the outside created easy 1v1 matchups and they were free to bring 8. Plays took too long, and WR's often couldn't separate (my main criticism for the returning WRs). We lost the ability to run the screen pass that was so effective in '14 when Munyer & Crabb graduated (apparently).

HCMM didn't bring Chev here to just recruit. When they met, they talked offense (purportedly all night). HCMM is a defensive guy and he knows it's hard to slow down the Air Raid. I'm sure they talked a lot about offensive philosophy before HCMM hired him and made him Co-OC. Chev impressed him and HCMM knew he needed new ideas quickly. It's not like he just heard RG say "you should do what Embree did and hire a former Buff".

We better be bringing new ideas to that dumpster-fire of an offense we ran last year. Not just "concepts".

I had posted this earlier in 'Nik's thread about the season, our offensive scheme has to change. I think the minor success of '14 largely caught up to us in '15 when Hawaii exposed us with the all out blitzes. Lack of playmakers on the outside created easy 1v1 matchups and they were free to bring 8. Plays took too long, and WR's often couldn't separate (my main criticism for the returning WRs). We lost the ability to run the screen pass that was so effective in '14 when Munyer & Crabb graduated (apparently).

HCMM didn't bring Chev here to just recruit. When they met, they talked offense (purportedly all night). HCMM is a defensive guy and he knows it's hard to slow down the Air Raid. I'm sure they talked a lot about offensive philosophy before HCMM hired him and made him Co-OC. Chev impressed him and HCMM knew he needed new ideas quickly. It's not like he just heard RG say "you should do what Embree did and hire a former Buff".

We better be bringing new ideas to that dumpster-fire of an offense we ran last year. Not just "concepts".

I think the idea that we are making changes to our offense and the talk that there are just minor tweaks to the offense are both true. I don't think it would take much to take what we did in 2014 and tweak it to be a more productive, higher paced offense. We will see.

I think the idea that we are making changes to our offense and the talk that there are just minor tweaks to the offense are both true. I don't think it would take much to take what we did in 2014 and tweak it to be a more productive, higher paced offense. We will see.
Last years' team also lacked the athletes for this system. Powell was not an ideal fit at RB. Irwin was not an ideal fit for the pass-catching TE. Spruce, as much as I love him, was not an ideal fit as your WR1.

That '14 was better than some people are giving it credit. Where it really excelled was Red Zone. In terms of points scored / trip inside the 40, CU was 17th in the nation.

Last years' team also lacked the athletes for this system. Powell was not an ideal fit at RB. Irwin was not an ideal fit for the pass-catching TE. Spruce, as much as I love him, was not an ideal fit as your WR1.

I agree with you for the most part. Powell played out of position his entire time at CU. He was a beastly fullback. He should not have been our starting RB. Irwin, I think is a pretty solid TE, but he just isn't polished yet. He can block like you want and he can catch the ball away from his body. Spruce lacked the speed to be the true #1 guy. He caught anything and everything thrown his way, and he was a fantastic buff, but he should have been playing in the slot IMO.

That '14 was better than some people are giving it credit. Where it really excelled was Red Zone. In terms of points scored / trip inside the 40, CU was 17th in the nation.

No defense and untimely turnovers were the reason that team didn't win. The offense overall was good enough to win a lot of games.

I agree with you for the most part. Powell played out of position his entire time at CU. He was a beastly fullback. He should not have been our starting RB. Irwin, I think is a pretty solid TE, but he just isn't polished yet. He can block like you want and he can catch the ball away from his body. Spruce lacked the speed to be the true #1 guy. He caught anything and everything thrown his way, and he was a fantastic buff, but he should have been playing in the slot IMO.

No defense and untimely turnovers were the reason that team didn't win. The offense overall was good enough to win a lot of games.
For the most part? You agreed and expanded perfectly on everything I said. That's about as agreeing as you can get on Allbuffs!

Back