What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Predict Early Impact from this class so far

Wyatt Smith. I win.

Let's be real, we have a legit chance to have the worst bcs class in the nation when all said and done. There is zero excuse for CU to rank there. Ever. Ever.

We're right on the Cutcliffe path so far. Lets throw out a hypothetical: we won 4 games this year, lets say 5 the next, but for the 3rd and 4th years we go 6-18. Is Mac fired at that point?

CU is currently at #60 on Rivals. Here are some other teams...

Purdue
Minnesota
Temple
Syracuse
Indiana
TCU
UCF
Kansas
Wake Forest
Washington (better than ours, just not a lot of commits)

CU is currently at #60 on Rivals. Here are some other teams...

Purdue
Minnesota
Temple
Syracuse
Indiana
TCU
UCF
Kansas
Wake Forest
Washington (better than ours, just not a lot of commits)

Every single on of those has 14 or fewer commits. So they will likely finish ahead of us. We are full and ranked at 60, which means we will only drop further. We could end up in the 70's which is awful.

Lee Walker on special teams.

Eddy lopez could see some early playing on the DL

Mathewes could be an impact player at DE as a freshman.

Nah the biggest reason is the whole getting our asses kicked in conference play for 3 years straight and overall bad, bad teams for 8 years now. We haven't bad any new facilities to see until recently and we were awful...why would you come here if you could go to ASU, UW, etc.?

UW maybe. Why would you go to CU instead of ASU? Probably because Arizona sucks (I know from personal experience unfortunately). Boulder is WAY nicer than anywhere in AZ. Coaches should be able to sell that toenough recruits that we do better than we are now.

Every single on of those has 14 or fewer commits. So they will likely finish ahead of us. We are full and ranked at 60, which means we will only drop further. We could end up in the 70's which is awful.

Who cares where we rank though? That's like getting upset at Mel Kiper's draft grades. Places like Rivals are really good, but let's be honest. If those guys were truly scouting gurus, they would be working for a BCS team, not running a website. I'm going to reserve judgement until I actually see these guys in the black and gold.

Is our current 60 ranking due to Mathewes and Kaiser being unranked (or 4.9s on Rivals)? Isn't Mathewes going to be upgraded to a mid to high 3* shortly? As more schools sniff around some of these guys (which is happening consistently with guys that Mac & Co. are in early on), these rankings will go up.

I'd just go ahead and pull the trigger on the .45 you have in your mouth.

Walker. Really need sub 4.5 speed on the field. PRich is going to be missed. Walker is even thinner than P Rich, so hopefully he has gained 15 and kept in great shape since his rival numbers?

Beyond that, I hope every one of these guys redshirts. None of them are Pac 12 starters if you look at their size and position. If they are on the field, it speaks to how broken we are.

When I came to this site it was because I had reservations about G Andersons ability to recruit at a PAC 12 level. I still feel we don't have the wow factor to overcome our last five years of on field suck. As Texas blows up it's staff and possibly Baylor blows up it's, would be nice to get someone who can close a four star or two on staff.

Walker. Really need sub 4.5 speed on the field. PRich is going to be missed. Walker is even thinner than P Rich, so hopefully he has gained 15 and kept in great shape since his rival numbers?

Beyond that, I hope every one of these guys redshirts. None of them are Pac 12 starters if you look at their size and position. If they are on the field, it speaks to how broken we are.

When I came to this site it was because I had reservations about G Andersons ability to recruit at a PAC 12 level. I still feel we don't have the wow factor to overcome our last five years of on field suck. As Texas blows up it's staff and possibly Baylor blows up it's, would be nice to get someone who can close a four star or two on staff.

That is all good except Anderson went to Wisconsin. We have Mike MacIntyre. I wouldn't mind bringing in any coach who will help us improve, either coaching or recruiting.

And to actually answer the OP question, there might be a few that get significant playing time. I know we all wish they can RS, but we just don't have the depth yet. A few of the DLs and LB as well as the fast guys will play.

I see less True Frosh contributing this year than in the last 7 years. They all could RS and almost all of them need significant time in the weight room to really be a factor.

Ross - See him in the mix at DB, dime package, and ST play. Kid is just too good and has played against the top players in Cali and been a standout. 5-star ability in a 2 star body (height). Speed knows no height. I've come around on this kid.

Watanabe - if he comes in around 235, don't count him out. Like Ross, this kid is much higher rated if taller. Unlike someone like Keeney who needs to add a lot of weight, this kid isn't in that situation. He's a tackling machine and I believe has high football IQ. Expect him to push for the two deep and ST play asap.

Walker - if the Redshirt WR's aren't what we are hoping they are, and he has all Spring so that helps.

Zach Brown - we need a pass rusher and he may be the best suited for edge help on passing downs. Smart kid (Army offer) who is closer physically to his eventual size than many of our recruits.

Witherspoon - because he will be here in January and we are not deep at safety.

I know who our coach is.

That is all good except Anderson went to Wisconsin. We have Mike MacIntyre. I wouldn't mind bringing in any coach who will help us improve, either coaching or recruiting.

My concern with Gary is what has played out so far with this staff. I knew Gary personally, and had this concern. I like this staffs Cali Ties. Jeffcoat hasn't proven to have 4* cred yet in Texas, and I want someone with ties to the Poly community. Understand the hurdles that have to be overcome on assistant salaries, but to have a complete class without one four star is worthy of conversation.

I like the X's and O's and the lack of any scandal out of the young men. Just have one area of concern and it is recruiting.

My concern with Gary is what has played out so far with this staff. I knew Gary personally, and had this concern. I like this staffs Cali Ties. Jeffcoat hasn't proven to have 4* cred yet in Texas, and I want someone with ties to the Poly community. Understand the hurdles that have to be overcome on assistant salaries, but to have a complete class without one four star is worthy of conversation.

I like the X's and O's and the lack of any scandal out of the young men. Just have one area of concern and it is recruiting.

To me it looks like we have staff who are top notch in the identification and evaluation stages. The closing stage is where the jury is still out when it comes to the most in-demand recruits, but for being the first to discover major program talent I like who we have. Jeffcoat saw enough of Eddy Lopez to get Mac on board, so I think he has 4* cred in the first stages of recruiting. Wins and a clear upward trend in the program's commitment and what we'll have to offer will go a long way toward making this staff better closers. If the handful of commits who are getting late interest from better programs stick with us that'll tell me a lot about the impression the staff made on them too. Holding my breath for signing day and hoping guys like Dotson, Lopez, and Rodriguez show how committed they really are to building something special here.

As for Lee Walker, he has already sat out a season. He might be able to come right in and play and he'll be here for spring.

I love reading buffaholics posts now. I'm ready for the optimism. It seems we are upgrading size and speed, at least individually. We have looked woefully outmatched in both areas for years. Gotta be a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see less True Frosh contributing this year than in the last 7 years. They all could RS and almost all of them need significant time in the weight room to really be a factor.

Ross - See him in the mix at DB, dime package, and ST play. Kid is just too good and has played against the top players in Cali and been a standout. 5-star ability in a 2 star body (height). Speed knows no height. I've come around on this kid.

Watanabe - if he comes in around 235, don't count him out. Like Ross, this kid is much higher rated if taller. Unlike someone like Keeney who needs to add a lot of weight, this kid isn't in that situation. He's a tackling machine and I believe has high football IQ. Expect him to push for the two deep and ST play asap.

Walker - if the Redshirt WR's aren't what we are hoping they are, and he has all Spring so that helps.

Zach Brown - we need a pass rusher and he may be the best suited for edge help on passing downs. Smart kid (Army offer) who is closer physically to his eventual size than many of our recruits.

Witherspoon - because he will be here in January and we are not deep at safety.
and looking at Watanabe's stats in high school - he is the leading tackler and a defensive stud it sounds like, fumbles caused / recovered, couple interceptions and a pick 6 or two... in a very stout Texas high school defense and in a tough 4A class. Plays saturday night for the state championship

I love reading buffaholics posts now. I'm ready for the optimism. It seems we are upgrading size and speed, at least individually. We have looked woefully outmatched in both areas for years. Gotta be a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with everything you said here. Baby steps. All of these guys seem to have frames thast when you add a year of heavy lifiting could really put them in an excellent place. The question is how many we injure out of putting them in out of necessity.

Just took a look back at the last decades recruiting boards at rivals. 7 4-5*'s in Hawk's first class and he crashed in a down Big 12. Man that guy caused alot of pain.

One thing I've noticed with a lot of the defensive guys we're recruiting is that they're damn good tacklers. An emphasis is clearly being put on that. Makes sense considering the problems dating back to, well, I guess it was the Toledo game that made me realize how bad the Buffs had gotten in that area. We haven't had a great tackling team since 2007.

Back