What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Predicted Pac-12 Regular Season Finish

Just watch the new guys play first. We have a lot of young players on the team

So do UCLA, Arizona, and Washington but they are penciled in ahead of us? Yes the first two had better classes but we have them beat in the coaching department. We have the Europe trip and then the OOC schedule, we will have had plenty of time to gel and get used to the D1 game.

You act like it is a slap in the face....if the coaches rank them 6th or lower in preseason poll...that would be a slap in the face...CU is top tier in a top heavy Pac 12

You act like it is a slap in the face....if the coaches rank them 6th or lower in preseason poll...that would be a slap in the face...CU is top tier in a top heavy Pac 12
I hope they do rank them lower than 6th. Colorado teams do better with lower expectations.

It is a slap in the face that everyone wants to ****ing relegate this team to 4th or 5th before the ****ing games are even played despite both years Boyle has been here he's been way above expectations (however ****ing low they may be, which is pathetic). Raise your ****ing expectations, no more of this stupid "well we'll be in 4th or 5th because we are young" and acting like no one else is. Tad ****ing Boyle is the coach. Sure other teams have better talent, but does that matter if you can't coach? Tad can and will out coach any coach in this conference every day of the week, and that is why we will not finish ****ing 4th or 5th.

I think Washington also might fall farther then expected because of their loses in Wooten and Ross. They also were unable to really reload with some new young shooting guards.

There are easily 5 teams that could win the league title this upcoming year in men's basketball, and I don't want to even try to pick a top 3 or 4. I see CU likely to be anywhere from 1-4 most likely when all is said and done. It's great to see what Boyle is bringing to Boulder...

It's going to be an interesting year, and hopefully the Pac represents much better.

Those who think UW will tumble now that Wroten and Ross are gone will likely be surprised I think. They've been the most consistent Pac squad the past 5 years or more overall... If Boyle is in Boulder in 10 years and graduates two first rounders, does anyone really think CU at that point would simply crumble the next year?

With regard to UW basketball, count me in as one of the probable majority of Husky fans that thinks next year's team should be better overall. They probably won't win the conference (although it's been nice to have a share of the last 4 titles:thumbsup:), but they should not be expected to drop off suddenly. Despite losing two first rounders (maybe the worst college squad ever with two first rounders?), Romar has put a player into the NBA in 9 consecutive years running now I believe... Last year was long-considered a rebuilding year for UW, and indeed it was. UW never developed it's trademark defensive tenacity and it killed them late in the year. That won't happen this year with the returning experience.

The loss of Ross hurts much more than the loss of Wroten, but both will be missed. Having said that, last year's squad was the worst in years with regard to team play under Romar, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Ross really didn't come on strong until the last half of the season, and despite Wroten's upside he never put it together during his college tenure. I wish him well in the league, but he does not yet have a jump shot, he's a poor free throw shooter (big time liability down the stretch) and his defense (usually a hallmark with Romar's athletes) was below par for his position. He excelled due to his athleticism alone. Our point guard play should be overall much improved next year... if you think that's crazy check out any UW message board. Our guard play is not likely to be our weakness as it was this year. Ross's skill set will be missed and there is not another person who takes over there, although between Wilcox and the new guards the play of the position should still be better.

Scott Suggs (guard) did not play last year due to injury, and his senior presence was sorely missed. He'll be back this year. CJ Wilcox played injured since January and he too should be back 100%. Despite the loss of Wroten, UW will play RS Freshman Andrew Andrews who was considered an outstanding guard PSA coming out of high school (one of the best in Oregon). In addition, UW added JC transfer Mark McLaughlin (guard) who was the nation leader in points scored per game out of Tacoma Community College...

And Gaddy, a former 5* player, after suffering a terrible knee injury a year ago, really came on strong to finish the year for the Huskies as well. Look for his game to go up another notch.

Also consider, UW last year had 8 freshman on the roster and was about the youngest squad in the Pac. With all of their returners and players (assuming full strength) coming back, this year they are among the most experienced squads in the Pac. I'll take experience over youth in most situations barring some exceptional one and done types...

It will also be Aziz N'diaye's final year. While not a shooter, he helps to plug the paint.

Desmond Simmons is our fearless junkyard dawg and his returning experience as a RS sophomore could see a big improvement in his game, in addition to the likes of others such as Breunig, Kemp and now RS freshman Jarreau (6'10" PF).

Simply put, the loss of Wroten with the re-addition of Suggs will greatly improve defensive play while limiting offensive mistakes, and he's also a good 3 point shooter with a decent jump shot.

And this year the Huskies will have pre-season games in Europe and Africa which should help the team to pull it together faster than last year, although I can't really say last year's squad ever put it together since they were long on raw talent but poor as a cohesive team.

Basically, I see the 4 and 5 spots reasonably stable in performance, but I anticipate a big improvement in the play of the 1-3's...

UW could be a much better team and still finish 4th or 5th I think. Simply due to the influx of talent and experience in the Pac it should be a much improved conference overall. Don't count out UW from surprising people though. And don't be surprised if you see them competing well. I'll eat my words if I need to but I don't see how UW won't be improved next year with the returning experience, improved defensive play and improved guard play...

Last edited:
It is a slap in the face that everyone wants to ****ing relegate this team to 4th or 5th before the ****ing games are even played despite both years Boyle has been here he's been way above expectations (however ****ing low they may be, which is pathetic). Raise your ****ing expectations, no more of this stupid "well we'll be in 4th or 5th because we are young" and acting like no one else is. Tad ****ing Boyle is the coach. Sure other teams have better talent, but does that matter if you can't coach? Tad can and will out coach any coach in this conference every day of the week, and that is why we will not finish ****ing 4th or 5th.

So abandon all logic. Got it. Is tad going to win road games versus a quality team this year. Are we going to have last second wins versus Arizona and Oregon again

So abandon all logic. Got it. Is tad going to win road games versus a quality team this year. Are we going to have last second wins versus Arizona and Oregon again
Abandon all logic? Because I said Boyle can out coach anyone in this conference? This isn't the ****ing Big East, this isn't a tough conference. What have Arizona or UCLA done with their current players to be written in at #1/#2 despite their youth, which according to people on here, is why we won't finish higher.

Let's break this down.

1.) There's a difference between objectively looking at a team and having low expectations.

2.) It's not a slap in the face. Cut the moral outrage BS. All you do is come across as a tool.

3.) You do realize that there are more potential problems other than "we are young", right? We are still very vulnerable to size. Simba is our only returning "big" (depending on how you clarify Dre. No matter what though, you can't call him a banger). Josh Scott is tremendously talented, but he also spent the last 17 years of his life going against people smaller than him, except for on the rare occasion that he went against Wesley Gordon. He's going to take time. That's not "lowered expectations", that's "common sense". Who's our outside shooter? The Mayor showed a nice touch, but wasn't the deadly outside shooter the team desperately needs. Can Jenkins fill that role? Stalzer? Talton? Booker's more of a slashing guard, so while he can hit the outside shot, he's also pretty streaky. Who's our backup point guard? The Mayor can't play 40 minutes. Who runs the offense when he's out? Who's our "go to scorer"? Who's our lockdown defender? Who's going to provide leadership? The team is talented, but you're acting like we're Kentucky. We're not.

4.) Tad is a phenomenal coach. Everyone knows this. We're lucky to have him. He's one of the top coaches in the nation. While they're worth their weight in gold, he's not going to win many games by himself.

5.) The conference is improved. We have one team that's a legit Sweet 16 team (Arizona) and another that could challenge for it (UCLA). Last year there were none. There are two teams that blow goats in the conference (ASU & Utah), but last year there were 3. The teams that people think are close to the bottom like USC and Wash St both have players that could single handedly carry them to a top 6 spot. Is the conference back? No. But they're a lot closer than they were. You keep attacking Washington in this thread, but they have CJ Wilcox who's a damn good player. They have McLaughlin coming in who will replace Wroten's scoring. They have a solid frontcourt (and I find it hilarious that you're badmouthing N'Diaye and Kemp Jr while single handedly pumping up Gordon. I love Gordon, but he isn't as proven as those two are yet). They have a damn good coach themselves.

6.) Once again, cut the moral outrage BS now. You're coming across as an idiot. You do this on the football board there and I'm amazed no one has smacked you down for it. You want to be optimistic? That's fine. Go right ahead. But if people want to be pessimistic (and in NO WAY is 5th in conference considered pessimistic by any stretch of the imagination), that's their right too. If you want to make your point by using logic, go right ahead. If, however, you continue this garbage that you've spewed all over this thread, I'm going to do something about it.

Let's break this down.

1.) There's a difference between objectively looking at a team and having low expectations.

2.) It's not a slap in the face. Cut the moral outrage BS. All you do is come across as a tool.

3.) You do realize that there are more potential problems other than "we are young", right? We are still very vulnerable to size. Simba is our only returning "big" (depending on how you clarify Dre. No matter what though, you can't call him a banger). Josh Scott is tremendously talented, but he also spent the last 17 years of his life going against people smaller than him, except for on the rare occasion that he went against Wesley Gordon. He's going to take time. That's not "lowered expectations", that's "common sense". Who's our outside shooter? The Mayor showed a nice touch, but wasn't the deadly outside shooter the team desperately needs. Can Jenkins fill that role? Stalzer? Talton? Booker's more of a slashing guard, so while he can hit the outside shot, he's also pretty streaky. Who's our backup point guard? The Mayor can't play 40 minutes. Who runs the offense when he's out? Who's our "go to scorer"? Who's our lockdown defender? Who's going to provide leadership? The team is talented, but you're acting like we're Kentucky. We're not.

4.) Tad is a phenomenal coach. Everyone knows this. We're lucky to have him. He's one of the top coaches in the nation. While they're worth their weight in gold, he's not going to win many games by himself.

5.) The conference is improved. We have one team that's a legit Sweet 16 team (Arizona) and another that could challenge for it (UCLA). Last year there were none. There are two teams that blow goats in the conference (ASU & Utah), but last year there were 3. The teams that people think are close to the bottom like USC and Wash St both have players that could single handedly carry them to a top 6 spot. Is the conference back? No. But they're a lot closer than they were. You keep attacking Washington in this thread, but they have CJ Wilcox who's a damn good player. They have McLaughlin coming in who will replace Wroten's scoring. They have a solid frontcourt (and I find it hilarious that you're badmouthing N'Diaye and Kemp Jr while single handedly pumping up Gordon. I love Gordon, but he isn't as proven as those two are yet). They have a damn good coach themselves.

6.) Once again, cut the moral outrage BS now. You're coming across as an idiot. You do this on the football board there and I'm amazed no one has smacked you down for it. You want to be optimistic? That's fine. Go right ahead. But if people want to be pessimistic (and in NO WAY is 5th in conference considered pessimistic by any stretch of the imagination), that's their right too. If you want to make your point by using logic, go right ahead. If, however, you continue this garbage that you've spewed all over this thread, I'm going to do something about it.
What about when Scott went against the dude that's going to Bailor last summer and he dominated him? It's not like this team is instantly thrown into conference play. It's ****ing stupid that people can't get their hopes up. I got called a ****ing idiot last season when I said we'd win 24 games or more. I got called a ****ing idiot when I said we'd win the Pac 12 tournament. And people still didn't want to believe that we'd beat UNLV. Well we did all of that and I'm going to continue to pump the sunshine, just like I did last year. The Pac 12 is still weak. It's not the Big East or the ACC or the Big 12. There are four or five good teams and the rest are dog ****.

And what are you going to do? Give me a warning or whatever it is? Great, go for it. These low/pedestrian expectations are so stupid and I hope they stop, otherwise we will always be happy with mediocrity.

Last edited:
That was one game in high school. Things change when you get to college. Stop attacking people's opinions, they are what people think based on how they interpret the evidence in front of them if you see first in the PAC then good for you, if someone sees 5th then let them be entitled to their opinion. All I know is that there are some guys here with a ton of basketball knowledge so sometimes it is good to just sit back and learn something from those guys. That is what I do and have learned that I really didn't know as much about college hoops as I thought I did.

What about when Scott went against the dude that's going to Bailor last summer and he dominated him? It's not like this team is instantly thrown into conference play. It's ****ing stupid that people can't get their hopes up. I got called a ****ing idiot last season when I said we'd win 24 games or more. I got called a ****ing idiot when I said we'd win the Pac 12 tournament. And people still didn't want to believe that we'd beat UNLV. Well we did all of that and I'm going to continue to pump the sunshine, just like I did last year. The Pac 12 is still weak. It's not the Big East or the ACC or the Big 12. There are four or five good teams and the rest are dog ****.

And what are you going to do? Give me a warning or whatever it is? Great, go for it. These low expectations are so stupid.

How about instead of resorting to the lowest common denominator, you answer my questions. Use facts instead of obscenities & people might stop calling you an idot.

How about instead of resorting to the lowest common denominator, you answer my questions. Use facts instead of obscenities & people might stop calling you an idot.
How about this...if we finish 5th or 6th as a few have predicted, I will come and eat my crow.

And what are you going to do? Give me a warning or whatever it is? Great, go for it. These low/pedestrian expectations are so stupid and I hope they stop, otherwise we will always be happy with mediocrity.
I can see that Goose didn't get through to you by being reasonable. Let's try a different tactic. Here is what you do, done to you:

Tini, you stupid, young, ignorant and deluded fool. You are basing all of your predictions on best case scenarios or on cherry picked data. That is objectively short sighted, obtuse, and bound to lead to false conclusions. You sound just like ****ing Gasm talking about CSU. Basically, in case you didn't get the point, you sound like a ****ing retard with opinions that only a goat would respect.

Do you see the difference? Did that get through to you?

Btw Goose, ymssr.

How about this...if we finish 5th or 6th as a few have predicted, I will come and eat my crow.

Hmmm....

No, just let people have their own opinions without getting bashed.

Nail, meet hammer.

Tini, I also think we'll finish higher than 5th or 6th. But that's only because my expectation for CU MBB is that we'll overachieve.

We lost 3 senior starters, man. Nate's one of our all-time leaders in assists and steals. I believe Austin's one of our 1,000 pt scorers. And Carlon was our go-to guy and Pac-12 tournament MVP.

That's a lot to replace for a program that doesn't get to the NCAA tournament very often. We need to earn inflated expectations from the media and opposing fans. We're not there yet. CU hoops is on the radar, but it's not at a point where the name on the front of the jersey is going to intimidate anyone.

So is Tad going to be a better coach than when we finished 6th last year, or did the other coaches get dumber?

If you so morally object to preseason predictions, don't go into post that say PREDICTIONS

Don't question my fanhood simply because I am cautiously optimistic. I think this team has great potential, but potential takes time to build

Just because the team won an NCAA tourney game and won the conference tourney doesn't mean squat this year. If UCLA had gotten hot last year in FB and beat the Ducks in the CCG I wouldn't be predicting a UCLA sweep this year in football. Consistency is what matters and what Boyle needs to do to show that he's as capable as we are making him out to be. We finished 6th last year. Any finish above that is progress. We need to get good matchups in the tourney to make a good run again (put us against Stanford and we'll probably lose to their bigs, put us against the Utes and it's an auto-win). Some of it is luck and taking the opportunity when it presents itself. Hard work, attention to detail (defense, rebounding), talent and a resiliency will propel this team to what it is capable of. Time is another. If we finish 4th and make a 3rd or better showing in the tourney then the program can make the next leap to the next step. Or we could cut corners like Bailer and be a top 10 team. I have faith that Boyle is doing it right.

There's always a lot of talk about how tradition matters on the football forum and teams like Arizona and UCLA have plenty of it (especially UCLA). They get the #1/#2 nods because of the name. CU was one of the worst teams in D1 BB just a few short years ago. People are aware of the program. We are still the underdog until we consistently prove otherwise. UW will be a damn good team again this year. They won the regular season title and even with their recent progress they still got shafted in favor of Cal.

OK, I've seen a few people put UCLA at #1. I'm curious why. Is it Shabazz & Anderson? Do you have hope that Josh Smith finally pulls his head out of his ass? Do you think Howland will finally have his water at the exact right temperature? I'm honestly curious because while I like the frosh they have coming in, I think that team just screams "underachievers" to me, and I think they'll be closer to Stanford at #3 than Zona at #1.

I think Zona's PG play will really hurt them. They have potentially a nightmare front court.. not sure if they have a PG that can get them the ball as much as they need tho. It's certainly possible UCLA underachieves, and they will be very young. But other then youth, I don't see many weaknesses there. Shabazz, Anderson, Parker is a great class.

I think both CU and Stanford have a decent chance to surpass Zona, but would be more surprised if they passed UCLA

UCLA is the one that truly scares me because they will be back to the top, and be back quickly. They have been down recently but it is only a matter of time. We need to use every week, every game to our advantage and build some prestige before the Pac-12 big boys come back to the top. If we can do that then we can survive in this conference.

As tini said, I don't see us finishing 5th or 6th. I expect a top 4 finish. However I would not be surprised if numbers 4-8 were in a dead heat up until the final games like it was last year. We could find ourselves in a mess there if we hit that streak of not being able to score. Also anything less than a 24 win season would be a disappointment I think. Taddy sure is spoiling us so far. Also I want and expect us to hold our own at KU. If we get blown out I will be very upset.

Let's break this down.

[video=youtube;i7dbdZlsR3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7dbdZlsR3Y[/video]

UCLA's problems the last 3 seasons haven't been talent. They've recruited NBA talent. Unfortunately, they've also had injuries, transfers and a toxic mix of personalities. Any one of the teams from these last few years could have made a deep tourney run if the chemistry had gelled.

1. AZ
2. UCLA
3. Colorado
4. Stanford
5. Wash
6. Cal
7. USC
8. WSU
Rest, who cares....

EDIT: Put ORE at 6 and move everyone else down one....forgot about the duckies

UCLA's problems the last 3 seasons haven't been talent. They've recruited NBA talent. Unfortunately, they've also had injuries, transfers and a toxic mix of personalities. Any one of the teams from these last few years could have made a deep tourney run if the chemistry had gelled.

Losing Moser to UNLV and Honeycutt to the draft hurt them. Both guys stay and gel, they probably have a sweet 16 caliber team. A small 2011 class didn't help them either. But their 2012 class is considerably better then anything since at least 2008.

Losing Moser to UNLV and Honeycutt to the draft hurt them. Both guys stay and gel, they probably have a sweet 16 caliber team. A small 2011 class didn't help them either. But their 2012 class is considerably better then anything since at least 2008.

More important than that for UCLA is that Josh looks to be getting serious...

Didn't realize UCLA is also going overseas. They are going to China. I can see them taking a big step forward this season.

Back