What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PRich should not go pro this year

I think he should petition for an extra year of eligibility and stay for two more years... you can never be too prepared, too experienced to enter the draft you know.

No one player we have could make a bigger difference for next year than PRich staying. His presence completely changes how teams think about defending the Buffs offense so from a selfish standpoint I'd love any excuse that keeps him here.

That said the chances of him being here are small. We are looking at another year of not being competitive with the top teams we play, of an inexperienced QB playing behind an OL that doesn't give him time to wait for PRich's type of patterns to develop, and of being the target of other teams who know that he is the difference maker on the field.

Can he use some more development, of course. Very few college players come out as complete players. Most new guys to the league continue to bulk up and to work on and develop the weaker facetts of their games. If you aren't Megatron or Larry Fitzgerald coming into the NFL you have holes in your game to work on.

What he does have already are things the NFL likes to see. He had height and long arms and knows how to use them, he makes tough catches, he takes solid hits and holds onto the ball, he has speed and a knack for running after the catch.

Plenty of NFL teams would have no problem with drafting him and letting him be a minor player for a year as they work on turning him into an NFL reciever.

As to draft position you can find all kinds of excuses to move a guy down in the draft. All it takes though is one team to find a reason to draft him higher and he is gone. We heard all the reasons that Dre wasn't going in the first round, we heard reasons why Jimmy and Nate wouldn't go in the first round. All did.

PRich has the kind of skills that make it easy for a team to like him. In addition to his physical skills he's a hard worker, smart, and has shown that he can maintain a solid attitude in the middle of bad times.

Best CU player since I've been a CU fan, likely the best player for CU in 15 years imo.

He left the UofA DB's in the dust

Can you imagine how crazy his numbers would be with a solid OL giving the CU QB time to make more throws?
Sefo missed Prich absolutely destroying the Zona CB in press coverage at least three times. I think all three plays went for first downs to someone, but still... Prich was gone.

I have been one saying he should not go pro, not quite ready. The more I think about it...He should go just to get away from all the losing mentality. Would not blame him one bit. + He would be getting a paycheck.

I love P-Rich. I love his ability. I love his pride. I love his loyalty. I love his work ethic.

He's GOT TO GO (pro)!

He should absolutely go. With him being the only weapon on offense, he is getting lit up every time he catches it in front of the DB's. It is not worth it to me as a fan and I am sure not to him as an athlete, to risk the injury while not getting paid. P-Rich should go in his 2nd-3rd round spot and make a few million.

I have been one saying he should not go pro, not quite ready. The more I think about it...He should go just to get away from all the losing mentality. Would not blame him one bit. + He would be getting a paycheck.
I am starting to feel the same way myself now. I still think he might get abused by physical corners and be a liability blocking some times, but he will definitely get drafted this year and almost for sure make an NFL roster so that maybe good enough for him.

Relatedly, T Clem is with the Panthers still right? He is not as fast as PRich but definitely much stronger.

If he doesn't go he is an idiot. Dude has inflated numbers because of huge yardage to go along with some pretty disappointing performances. Scouts are going to see a developmental guy with huge upside. An extra year would almost certainly hurt his stock compared to the year he's having.

If he doesn't go he is an idiot. Dude has inflated numbers because of huge yardage to go along with some pretty disappointing performances. Scouts are going to see a developmental guy with huge upside. An extra year would almost certainly hurt his stock compared to the year he's having.

Exactly how are his numbers inflated? He's earned every yard he has gotten. He gets huge chunks because he is so good that he finds the right spot on the field and simply outruns his coverage.

Exactly how are his numbers inflated? He's earned every yard he has gotten. He gets huge chunks because he is so good that he finds the right spot on the field and simply outruns his coverage.

Some of his early games were inflated. Did you see the CSU and CArk games? 2-3 of his long TDs were because of total blown coverage, not because he beat his guy.

Not to say the guy isn't a beast. He's special for sure. It was great to see him finally have a good game against a legit opponent. I think he's a middle rounder, and should go. Heaven help us next year.

I think any inflated numbers that he might have are cancelled out by the shyte line and shyte QB play as well as the defenses keeping a safety on him instead of up in run coverage.

Some of his early games were inflated. Did you see the CSU and CArk games? 2-3 of his long TDs were because of total blown coverage, not because he beat his guy.

Not to say the guy isn't a beast. He's special for sure. It was great to see him finally have a good game against a legit opponent. I think he's a middle rounder, and should go. Heaven help us next year.

Welp blown coverage, doesn't count. His speed had absolutely nothing to do with these blown coverages and no other receiver in the country has had big games against inferior competition, only PRich.

Sent from a red light

Welp blown coverage, doesn't count. His speed had absolutely nothing to do with these blown coverages and no other receiver in the country has had big games against inferior competition, only PRich.

Sent from a red light

Of course other WRs have benefited from blown coverage. I'm just saying he got a few gifts in the first two games.

If you run a fly pattern out wide, and the DB looks too long into the backfield, or takes 2-3 steps inside instead of staying out wide with his man, or just expects a safety to come over the top and cover him ... that's blown coverage. Any guy on the roster can beat blown coverage.

Again, PRich is special. Very fast, good hands, acrobatic, great leader. Best receiver we've had since Westbrook. If we had an actual BCS-level QB and OL, he'd be an All-American.

:insert foot in mouth:

One was a "blown coverage." His other TD's was him just blowing by the defenders, which he continues to do vs Pac-12 teams (see Arizona)

To say that PRich has inflated numbers isn't quite accurate. Yes he has been the focus of the CU offense and gotten a lot of opportunities. This is because he is so far ahead of anyone else we have as a threat that to not make him the focus of the offense would be ridiculous.

This is no secret to our opponents which makes his numbers even more impressive. PRich from day one this year has been a significant focus of attention for defenses. He has consistenty seen oppenents best corners, safety help, and other unbalanced coverages. Teams have tried to jam his at the LOS, give him extra cushion to take away the deep ball, force him to the middle. It is no secret that the ball is coming his direction and he has still managed to generate the numbers, even with the problems we have had at QB and the lack of other threats to take pressure off him.

This year isn't like a couple years ago when he had one huge game against Cal and a bunch of fairly average games. This season he has had big games and big plays against multiple opponents.

He does still have holes in his game and some areas that he will have to work on to be effective in the NFL but other than guys like Megatron and Larry Fitzgerald how many guys going into the league don't.

PRich is #5 in receiving yards in cfb. The QB's for the top four are: Sean Mannion, Johnny Manziel, Keith Wenning (Ball State's projected draft pick QB), and Zach Mettenberger (NFL draft pick). Also the guys ahead of him have all played 1 more game than PRich, 2 of them playing 2 more games

He still has things to work on, but he has to go. He could work on those things in the pros with better coaching and a better S&C program. With the ankle sprain it just shows that he could easily miss out on a big payday. Given his ACL tear too it's a must. GL PRich.

We will miss him.

I think PRich is both hurt and helped by our situation.

Yeah, he had to switch from Wood to Liufau and we have no running game to speak of, no TEs, and a horrible o-line, all of which factor into PRich not being able to do as much as maybe he could otherwise.

BUT, at the same time, he is kinda helped by the fact that teams come in with the mindset of playing Colorado. Let's face it, we're not taking other teams' best shot, any d-coordinator worth his salt is going to go vanilla against us and avoid showing anything, and that plays into the number of opportunities our offensive players get to make plays.

Now, that's not really knocking PRich. As shown in the UO and UA games, he's perfectly capable of getting his yards against first-team defenses. What I do mean though is that there are pluses and minuses to looking at stats and saying, look he's doing that with us, imagine what he could do if we were better.

Having said all that, I haven't seen anything in the past 2 weeks that tells me he's any less gone than he was before. I still fail to see what he could possibly gain in staying another year here, other than giving us something to look forward to every Saturday.

Of course other WRs have benefited from blown coverage. I'm just saying he got a few gifts in the first two games.

If you run a fly pattern out wide, and the DB looks too long into the backfield, or takes 2-3 steps inside instead of staying out wide with his man, or just expects a safety to come over the top and cover him ... that's blown coverage. Any guy on the roster can beat blown coverage.

Again, PRich is special. Very fast, good hands, acrobatic, great leader. Best receiver we've had since Westbrook. If we had an actual BCS-level QB and OL, he'd be an All-American.

That's all true, but if you're saying he has inflated numbers because of the competition and blown coverages then every top WR in the nation is guilty of that so it's not all that fair of a reason. He put up 134 yards up against Oregon (top flight defense) and 132 against Arizona, it's not like he's doing it just against CSU and CAU.

His speed also contributes to blown coverages with players trying to cheat on routes knowing that they can't stay with him 1 on 1.

Sent from a red light

In regard to the bloated stats...

I have no idea why I'd look things up and waste time on this since I am so busy today and I don't want to imply PRich isn't an incredible talent, but I looked up some stats. PRich has the most 50+ yard receptions in the NCAAs with six (82, 75, 55, 55, 60, 75.) Without them, he has 512 yards total and his yards per catch drops 18.3 to 11.6.

The other top five receivers have less 50+ yarders and their stats look like this when you take them out:

• Cooks 1256 total minus 55, 52, 50, 48 (since it's close) equals 1051
  • Evans 1101 total minus 95, 64 equals 942
  • Snead 1057 total minus 55, 51, 50 equals 901
  • Beckham 1059 minus 63, 53 equals 893

The quarterback situation for the other guys and talent around them is significant. The level of competition is worth noting, as the three games against CSU, CAU and CSU II he amassed 539 yards and only 375 in four games against PAC12 talent, with a bunch of drops to boot.

PRich is our best talent by far, but I see him as a really solid 3rd WR, homerun threat in the NFL. Huge gains are due to his speed and talent, but without them to me he seems a bit inconsistent. When playing level competition he also seems to drop off a bit. I say he should take advantage of the current stats, go for the NFL and see what he can do.

P-rich should go pro, coming back could hurt him in the draft and of course money wise. CU isn't going to be much better next year, what's the point in staying?

In regard to the bloated stats...

I have no idea why I'd look things up and waste time on this since I am so busy today and I don't want to imply PRich isn't an incredible talent, but I looked up some stats. PRich has the most 50+ yard receptions in the NCAAs with six (82, 75, 55, 55, 60, 75.) Without them, he has 512 yards total and his yards per catch drops 18.3 to 11.6.

The other top five receivers have less 50+ yarders and their stats look like this when you take them out:

• Cooks 1256 total minus 55, 52, 50, 48 (since it's close) equals 1051
  • Evans 1101 total minus 95, 64 equals 942
  • Snead 1057 total minus 55, 51, 50 equals 901
  • Beckham 1059 minus 63, 53 equals 893

The quarterback situation for the other guys and talent around them is significant. The level of competition is worth noting, as the three games against CSU, CAU and CSU II he amassed 539 yards and only 375 in four games against PAC12 talent, with a bunch of drops to boot.

PRich is our best talent by far, but I see him as a really solid 3rd WR, homerun threat in the NFL. Huge gains are due to his speed and talent, but without them to me he seems a bit inconsistent. When playing level competition he also seems to drop off a bit. I say he should take advantage of the current stats, go for the NFL and see what he can do.

Having a lot of long plays is a negative? Really...?

You're kidding, right?

I really like PRich, especially as a person, but his game isn't nearly as together right now as D.J. Hackett's was when he was drafted. And you wouldn't expect it to be. PRich mostly succeeds on athleticism now and needs to work on a lot of stuff to be NFL-ready. Of course he'll get drafted and very likely make a team, but he's just far less disciplined than he needs to get on routes, concentration, etc. Needs to get bigger, too. Huge upside no doubt.

He could use an extra year here to improve, but if he can get paid to improve why not go. Good luck to him. A cool Buff.

P-Rich is more than welcome to come back for another year if he decides to do so for some reason.

But my advice to him would be to get with the right trainers for the NFL Combine as soon as the season is over and make sure to run a blazing 40 with elite pro shuttle and vertical to match. He does that, he'll get picked no lower than the 3rd round.

P-Rich is more than welcome to come back for another year if he decides to do so for some reason.

But my advice to him would be to get with the right trainers for the NFL Combine as soon as the season is over and make sure to run a blazing 40 with elite pro shuttle and vertical to match. He does that, he'll get picked no lower than the 3rd round.

Agree. He'll get picked based on speed and they can teach him the rest. Hope he has a good career.

Back