1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Program to watch: Providence

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

They're making a serious move in the new Big East with some amazing recruiting.

In 2012, the Friars signed two Top 100 talents and a third (Josh Fortune) who was just outside it.

In 2013, they added another Top 100 along with a quality 3* wing.

So far in 2014, they have gained commitments from four 4* prospects.

They won 19 games last year and will be much better this year.

Ed Cooley was an uninspiring hire in 2011 who kind of reminds me of Tad. He built up a Fairfield program and was local. But he's shown improvement both years and the recruiting has taken off. Keep an eye on them the next couple years when filling out your tournament brackets.

2. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

I'm so excited for the new Big East.

3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

fify

4. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I'm so excited for the new ACC.

5. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

Providence is interesting. They've gotten a lot of top recruits, but many haven't panned out. Dunno if it was just bad luck with Ledo not being eligible, or something that was obvious during his recruitment. Losing Gerard Coleman to Gonzaga also hurt. They still have some good players, no doubt, but attrition has to be somewhat of a concern.

6. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

No expert on Providence, other than knowing they came on strong last season. With a rise like this, it's always key to keep an eye on how the team gels. Sometimes a rapid influx of talent can result in disaster in basketball. All it takes is a bad egg or two and it can bring the entire program down. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that that's not the case, but it's been an issue there in the past IIRC.

He definitely was a Tad-style hire both in coming from a low-tier conference to the big time and being a guy intimately familiar with the region. Took over a downtrodden Fairfield program after being a longtime assistant at Boston College, and progressed from 13-14-17-23-25 wins over his years there. Now has taken Providence from 15 his first year to 19 last year.

He's yet to experience the Dance as a head coach, though.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. HotBuffChica

HotBuffChica New Member

Not that it matters to anyone but I live on the east coast and am good friends with Paschal Chukwu and his host family.

Everyone in the college hoops world disagrees with me but I think he will be better than Okafor. P is a ridiculous shot blocker and a defensive menace. His offensive game is very underrated. I think ESPN has him ranked to low. When Providence got Paschal I think that brought their program to a whole new level.

Anyways prob not that important to anyone...

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

The Providence Friars are your Big East Champs.

Not a team I'd want to face in the opening round.

Quattro likes this.
  9. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

I always kind of liked the Friars back in the days of Ernie D. An unsung bunch that played pretty good ball.

10. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Unsung??? Shirely, you jest? How is a Providence Final Four appearance "unsung"? Rather, they were notorious!

Ahhhh! Ernie "No D" DeGregario, launching threes from everywhere, before they counted for 3 pts. and his teammate, the Friars' most notorious alum: Marvin "Tire Iron" or "Bad News" (take your pick) Barnes.

Further, Barnes was the No 2 overall pick in the NBA and although Ernie "No D" set an NBA record for 26 assists in a single game, he practically invented the "toreador defense" (waving your hands and arms at an opponent as he races by) thus more than earning his pro ball nickname.

11. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

Don't call me Shirley :wink2:

12. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Thanks, cooley. :smile2:

13. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/col ... uburb.html

Somewhere to put this...

I don't think there is a thread here about Jalen Brunson, but I saw this and wanted to put it somewhere. Rick Brunson charged with sexual assault. Pretty disturbing, innocent or guilty. I feel for the kid.

Temple was poised to hire Rick as an assistant, and his 5* son was headed there.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014