1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Program Turning Point or Dead Cat Bounce?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Liver, Sep 24, 2012.

?

Was this a program turning point or a dead cat bounce?

1. THis is it: We are on the way back to GREATNESS

5.2%
  2. Nope: that win was just a blip on the death spiral

19.4%
  3. Too soon to tell, you crazy man!

75.4%
  1. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

Vote.

2. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

Upset UCLA and then beat ASU and then lets talk.

3. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Win doesn't change much for me. I thought the team was going to win 4 games this yr and we've blown two already. I think we'll win another game this year at least. We need better talent and I still think the defensive coaching side is very weak.

4. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

This might be the most optimistic and positive post I have ever seen from Jimmy.

BuffaloSoldier76 likes this.
  5. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

There are a lot of positives. Coming from behind on the road, nice halftime adjustments, playing FB like you mean it, big hits, improved tackling, running the football with some success, guts and heart apparent in the play, especially from the QB. I liked a lot of what I saw and congratulate the team and staff for a well deserved win.

But let's keep perspective. CSU, Sac. St. and Fresno are still L's. WSU is the bottom of the P12, and was playing in the first year of Pirate Mike's system, with their second team QB. There is still a long way to go.....

6. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Just as a bit of a sidenote, I'm not sure Halliday really is their second team QB anymore. A lot of Cougs are saying that Tuel could have played (he practiced normally the entire week) and that Leach simply prefers Halliday at this point. Halliday is also starting against Oregon next week.

7. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

D still gave up too many plays, O struggled for long stretches.

Any win at this point is nice, but we have yet to play anyone good and we are 1-3.

8. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

IMO, Halliday probably is Pirate Mike's choice. Technically, though, Halliday is and has been referred to as the back up.

http://washingtonstate.rivals.com/default.asp?type=1

But I see your point. In any event, Halliday has two games, counting CU, underhis belt. So whether he's the starter, which he may end up being, or not, he was inexpereineced, maybe that would have been a better way to say it.

9. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Hard part of the schedule is out of the way.

sweaty teets likes this.
  10. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

I remember thinking that the 2007 OU game was a turning point and that was against a legitimate team. Not buying in this time.

11. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

I actually thought the turning point was against SC last year. Even though we got blown out, the team played scrappy, with heart and intensity. Winning 3 out of the last 4 last season with the Utah road win breaking the streak was the confirmation of turning the corner in my mind. Then this season started...

This win was hugely significant. I think we will show continued improvement during the year but, if I apply the lessons from the past, I think we should also expect a couple more blow out losses before we really finish the turn and start building momentum towards being a good football team.

12. Liver

i actually think the single thing that could save the season would be exponentially improved ol play. if the ol played in the first 3 like they did in the wsu game, we'd be sitting at 3-1 right now, worst case scenario.

yes, there are 1000 other reasons for the disaster this season... not saying we are witnessing a rebirth or anything yet--- but, if the ol really steps it up, maybe there is another w or 2 on the schedule? maybe?

13. CVilleBuff

Yep, probably just the classic case of Leach building towards the future, especially now that it's clear WSU isn't bowling this year. Tuel is a senior, and was unimpressive against BYU and downright bad against Eastern Washington. Halliday looks like a solid fit for Leach's system. Being only a sophomore, he's going to have some ridiculous numbers if he starts for 2 more seasons after this. Of course, he may have some ridiculous losses too...

14. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Looks like Im the lone Koolaider. I DON'T think we'll win more than 3 games, but I DO think this is a milestone on which the team can build an identity and reclaim what it means to be Buff. I think this program is special, and I think it became special to the newbies on Saturday.

15. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

I see where you are coming from. There are lots of twists and turns and twisting points and turning points.

One turning point is HaLkins blowing the lead against Kansas. This is the moment Dan Hawkins is coach no more.

The next turning point is at Hawaii, when we learn Embree didn't have a fast solution to turn things around.

Then against USC, the team started to gel and finally buy into Embree.

Then at Utah, a corner was turned when Embree stuck by his seniors to get the road monkey off their back. This was the moment Embree delivered on a stated goal.

The next corner was for the worse, when the team and coaching staff plummeted to depths never before imagined against CSU, Sac, and Fresno.

The Wazzou game was when the baby buffs stopped the freefall into football oblivian.
    Oregon or USC or Stanford or even UCLA might likely be every bit as embarrassing as Fresno, or even worse. But atleast we know the players have the heart of a Buffalo and haven't given up. When they fall again, there will be not as the worst team in the nation.

The fans might have seen a corner for the baby buffs players who now know how to finish a game and sing the fight song. But we haven't turned a corner on wanting an extension on Embree. He earned a right to play through October and probably the season. But he hasn't bought much job security.

A pretty big corner is still ahead. How long will 72 year old Benson remain in charge? Will Phil DiStefano extend his career into a 40th year, or will he retire? When we get a new regime, will we get a new president and chancellor who are big supporters of athletics? Or will Embree get more half asses support by indifferent CU administrators? If CU gets a big athletic supporter, will Bohn and Embree finally get their facilities and have a fan base who is on the same page as those inside Dal Ward? Or do we simply plod along as a neglected Pac12 bottom feeder with the rare bowl appearance?

The next big corner will be a bowl game, and then a division championship, and then a Rose Bowl champion. Embree may or may not be the man to get us there. Playing for a.championship is the corner.we expect, and we have not come close to that corner yet.

16. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

We'll see against UCLA. Get blown out by them and ASU, then naturally blown out by the next 3 and people won't remember we actually won a game vs WSU.

17. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

This

18. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the public nature of the poll might bias the results.

19. Liver

silence, infidel! my polls are as scientifically credible as karl rove's...

any discrepancy is within the acceptable margin of error.

results may vary. other terms and conditions apply.

buffs04 likes this.
  20. FlaBuff

FlaBuff I drive a Dodge Stratus! Club Member

It has to start somewhere. It may not manifest itself in 4+ wins this season, but as the crop of freshmen and sophomores matures this game may be looked back on as their first steps.

21. class01

class01 Active Member

The win was fun and we avoided the death knell / 0-12, but the rest of the season is going to be brutal. UCLA is going to run all over us (both the RB and QB) and their D is going to blow up our line and dropkick Webb back to Kansas.

Utah may be our only other chance at a W. As long as we continue to play with heart though, this staff deserves more time. We will get this thing turned around eventually (2014).

22. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

:nod:

The college football power base in California has clearly moved from LA and the Bay Area to Sacramento...

23. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

:stupid: I dont believe this thing has turned around at all. A 1 pt win is nothing. Scrambling to score 3 TDs in 7 min is really nice, but that wont happen with the rest of the schedule except maybe the Yoots.

There is no excuse for those 3 losses. Maybe I could forgive a road loss to the State of Fresno, nut Nut SAck and CSewe? Those are terrible teams, only Embree et al made us worse.

Beat a few others and finish strong, kicking and screaming the rest of the way then perhaps we can say he may be righting the ship. Right now it simply looks like we got lucky.

24. CVilleBuff

On the bright side, apparently their QB is dinged up, specifically he has a bum ankle.

And I'm not sure what your criteria for things turned around is, but if by chance it's just a bowl game, there is simply no excuse to not win 6 games next year. None.

25. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

It was just one win against a crappy team but I was hearing that Embree had lost the players. The way they celebrated with him made those fears go away. You can tell they want to win for the guy. Let's see if they can build on this next week.

26. class01

class01 Active Member

Just like there was no excuse to lose to CSU or Sac St... Going from a 1-2 win season to a bowl will a huge leap. We have a long way to go. When these true Frosh are true Juniors and Sefo takes over at QB as a redshirt Frosh is when we'll turn it.

27. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Yeah CV. Tap the brakes a bit there, bro. 3 wins year 1, 1 win year 2, 4 wins year 3, then MAYBE we can talk 6 wins and a bowl game in year 4. These kids have to mature, after all.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  28. MINN-Buffalo

MINN-Buffalo Member

Now I love the buffs ,but until CU starts to focus more on football we will continue to fall. If we can get new facilities and a AD that will shell out money for a big name coach we will be average at best.

29. class01

class01 Active Member

We suck and are going to suck for awhile longer. You can bitch and moan all you want, but the complete systematic dismantling of the program over the last 10 yrs isn't and wasn't going to be fixed by anyone overnight (without a bunch of roided up Jucos recruited w/ plain white envelopes filled with $$).

I thought we'd win 4 games this yr and I apparently drank too much Kool-aide.

30. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Getting to a bowl game or damn close to it is not a big turnaround. If a bowl game in year three is unrealistic, we got issues.