What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Proposal for new 40k seat domed stadium in Las Vegas

Only if we let it. The year CU won the national championship, both CSU and Air Force also went to bowl games.

1990 csu would not receive a pac 10 invite...if they ever got strong enough to get an invite it would hurt our instate recruiting and fan base

AFA is never a threat as they recruit a whole different breed of player

1990 csu would not receive a pac 10 invite...if they ever got strong enough to get an invite it would hurt our instate recruiting and fan base

We're going to lose fans to CSU? :huh:

Does Oregon State hurt Oregon? Does Washington State hurt Washington? Does Michigan State hurt Michigan?

We may have to agree to disagree on this issue. I think a strong CSU athletic program actually helps CU, especially if CSU is in a major conference. More TVs, more attention, more eyes looking at college football in Colorado. That's all good. Now, having said that, I honestly don't think that CSU has the balls to do what they need to do in order to put themselves in a position to make the move. They need to add another 30,000 seats to their stadium and sell them. They need to upgrade their facilities across the board. They need to upgrade their academic standing. Most importantly, and probably hardest of all, they need to add about 500,000 people to their media market. That's double what they have now.

I don't understand this love affair with that ****hole, vegas. It has abso****inglutely nothing to do with the conference, so why give it the boon of any conference games, let alone the conference championship game? I love the idea of the championship game being on-campus and think the benefit of getting that game at home adds just a bit more to the season.

Agreed. Vegas pretty much sucks and I think the majority of people in the current pac 10 footprint would agree. Why would you want to go to vegas in late november to play a football game?

CSU has a fanbase? One game a year they do, that's it.

Why would CSU add 30,000 seats to their stadium when they can't even sell out the first 30,000?

You must have missed the part where I said "And sell them".

I would be the first to acknowledge that CSU has a very, very long way to go to even be in the ballpark when the next expansion takes place. But here's the thing: CSU is one of a very small handful of universities that would fit the profile for an expanded Pac. Figure the Pac would need four teams to get to 16. Which teams would they be? Texas is out of the conversation at this point. They really showed their ass during this last go-round. So that leaves schools like UNLV, UNM, CSU, Kansas (if they don't go to the Big East or Big 10 first), SDSU (maybe), Boise (longshot, given their academics), Hawaii (real longshot), BYU (never gonna happen) and...?

I don't think it's as far fetched as it seems.

You must have missed the part where I said "And sell them".

I would be the first to acknowledge that CSU has a very, very long way to go to even be in the ballpark when the next expansion takes place. But here's the thing: CSU is one of a very small handful of universities that would fit the profile for an expanded Pac. Figure the Pac would need four teams to get to 16. Which teams would they be? Texas is out of the conversation at this point. They really showed their ass during this last go-round. So that leaves schools like UNLV, UNM, CSU, Kansas (if they don't go to the Big East or Big 10 first), SDSU (maybe), Boise (longshot, given their academics), Hawaii (real longshot), BYU (never gonna happen) and...?

I don't think it's as far fetched as it seems.

Once again, CSU needs to worry about selling the first 30K seats first. And with the MWC losing their most attractive teams CSU's attendance is going to decrease, not increase. As previously mentioned, CSU is closer to becoming an FCS school than they are to becoming a Pac school. The Pac would stay at 12 schools or only go to 14 before they'd invite CSU.

Once again, CSU needs to worry about selling the first 30K seats first. And with the MWC losing their most attractive teams CSU's attendance is going to decrease, not increase. As previously mentioned, CSU is closer to becoming an FCS school than they are to becoming a Pac school. The Pac would stay at 12 schools or only go to 14 before they'd invite CSU.

Again, I don't think you're paying attention to what I'm saying here. I fully admit that CSU has a lot of work to do. I personally don't think they'll do it. However, if you look at the landscape of college football, there are very few schools that even could be considered, and CSU is one of them. Going to 14 teams wouldn't do any good. The magic number is 16. That's where everybody is going eventually.

SDSU, Nevada, Boise, UNM?

Nevada and UNM are definite possibilities. As is UNLV. Boise's academics are just about on par with Front Range Community College. Not gonna happen. SDSU is making a push. I could see the extra four being UNLV, SDSU, UNM and Nevada. Still, each of those schools have challenges just the same as CSU has.

OK smart guy. Answer me this: The Pac 12 wants to go to 16 teams. Who are their choices?

I'll take a stab at it. 1st choice is New Mexico, Albequerque is a fast growing major metropolitan area 1.5 million plus with no pro competition and no other major colleges in the TV market. They have had decent attendance even while they are bottom feeders in the MWC. UNLV also shares a lot of these characteristics but doesn't get as much support and has more competion for the entertainment dollar. Nevada-Reno draws much better than CSU, get more TV viewers and is the flagship university for the state. San Diego State is also in a major metro area and is a logical trip for the California schools and the Arizona schools. They lack attendance as well but are better than CSU and the NFL may be leaving the market. Air Force would go in ahead of CSU, they draw almost double the attendance, travel very well, and are a good draw on TV. Other potentials would be KU, a little east but a good school that generates revenue and also UTEP. As much as I don't like them and their academics are questionable Boise would also get a call before CSU.

CSU is a traditional loser, they are one of the losingest teams of all time. They failed to draw even when they were good. They have shown no inclination to spend the money to move the program up in stature and are currently one of the if not the lowest athletic budget in the MWC.

My list would be UNM, UNLV, KU and CSU. But only if CSU can get it's act together. That's what I think a lot of you are ignoring here. I'm not saying they are ready to do it now. I'm saying that they have a lot of work to do to put themselves in a position to be considered. Whether they put that work in or not remains to be seen. I don't think they have the commitment that they need. However, if they did, they'd be a good fit.

Why CSU instead of SDSU for example? Lots of people in San Diego that love to bandwagon, if they'd keep winning they'd be onto something.

Why CSU instead of SDSU for example? Lots of people in San Diego that love to bandwagon, if they'd keep winning they'd be onto something.

I'm not saying it would be CSU instead of SDSU. I'm saying of the choices available, CSU has to be considered. There are maybe 6 or 7 schools that would even be considered. CSU would be one of them. As much as we all like to rag on their academics, CSU probably is better, academically, than any of the schools mentioned. Remember that's a big deal to the Pac. Or at least that's what they like to tell us.

The San Diego Super Chargers are leaving the area? Don't be ****ing with me like this mtn..

NFL wants a team in LA bad, LA now has at least two very serious proposals for NFL quality stadiums built with private funding. Chargers owners are making a lot of noise about the current stadium not being up to standard, they have also had some issues with keeping ticket sales up despite winning a lot of games. All speculation but it could be the LA Chargers.

My list would be UNM, UNLV, KU and CSU. But only if CSU can get it's act together. That's what I think a lot of you are ignoring here. I'm not saying they are ready to do it now. I'm saying that they have a lot of work to do to put themselves in a position to be considered. Whether they put that work in or not remains to be seen. I don't think they have the commitment that they need. However, if they did, they'd be a good fit.

What gives you any indication that CSU can or will ever get its act together. They dont' spend the money and even when they have (all the promotion when they were winning as well as the Stryker donations improving facilities) they still haven't gained any support. Their attendance has been going down the last few years and this year they barely averaged 22k a game. As bad as our BB attendance has been their's is way worse.

I just don't see a culture that is willing to do what it takes to step up and I don't see the alumni support to change that. They could concievably get it together but I would say that a lot of other schools are more likely to move ahead of them.

Another possibility to keep in mind for 12-Pac expansion - refugees from the Mack 10 once it blows sky high.

Now that Texass has the ESPiN money flowing, I'm more convinced than ever that they'll try their hand as an independent in 5 years or less. Once that happens, the rest of the league has two choices - start chasing teams like Boise, BYU and TCU, or try to catch on with another major conference. No doubt the Okie schools and aTm are going to try to hook on with the $EC, and Mizzou and Kansas will probably try to get into the Big 10/11/12/14/??? (again). But if those options don't work out, it wouldn't be hard to see the Pac-12 have some interest in some of those schools, precisely because of the lack of good expansion options they have otherwise...

What gives you any indication that CSU can or will ever get its act together. They dont' spend the money and even when they have (all the promotion when they were winning as well as the Stryker donations improving facilities) they still haven't gained any support. Their attendance has been going down the last few years and this year they barely averaged 22k a game. As bad as our BB attendance has been their's is way worse.

I just don't see a culture that is willing to do what it takes to step up and I don't see the alumni support to change that. They could concievably get it together but I would say that a lot of other schools are more likely to move ahead of them.

Can you show me where I ever said I think they will get their act together?

Another possibility to keep in mind for 12-Pac expansion - refugees from the Mack 10 once it blows sky high.

Now that Texass has the ESPiN money flowing, I'm more convinced than ever that they'll try their hand as an independent in 5 years or less. Once that happens, the rest of the league has two choices - start chasing teams like Boise, BYU and TCU, or try to catch on with another major conference. No doubt the Okie schools and aTm are going to try to hook on with the $EC, and Mizzou and Kansas will probably try to get into the Big 10/11/12/14/??? (again). But if those options don't work out, it wouldn't be hard to see the Pac-12 have some interest in some of those schools, precisely because of the lack of good expansion options they have otherwise...

KU for sure. I'm not so sure about any of the other schools.

Back