1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposal To Change College Football As We Know It

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Oct 2, 2013.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

2. InTheBuff

ok ...117 views and nobody has an opinion-

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

executive summary plz

4. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

tl;dr I am keeping up with the gubmint shutdown thread...

5. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I think they propose a consolidated NCAA division of just the big boys. The "super conference.". I couldn't read it all.

6. Lukeasaurus

Lukeasaurus Well-Known Member

SUMMARY:
    I don't know if it would really change much. I think they are signifying the split between "FBS" programs and "Others". I guess that the FBS schools have been held back in some areas to accommodate the FCS and lower NCAA portions. (i.e. Womens scholarships numbers as noted).
    They mention that "Those w/ Similar Resources and Interests" will be grouped (at least BCS conferences,us included). I think the power conferences get their distinction at least in that the board be made up of 1 president from each conference (ACC but perhaps NOT the former big east).
    Basically. I don't think it would change much

PS. I've been lurking here for years. I figured i might as well respond to something lol

7. InTheBuff

That's the way I read it. It's on the table and it's not going away.
    Not sure if the big boy conferences would remain as is or if we see another
    round of major changes.

8. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

Yep, basically FBS becomes its own separate division rather than a new subdivision. The new FBS gets their own governance board and gets to set their own rules...so if they want to offer full cost of attendance scholarships or increase the scholarship headcounts for existing women's sports to improve Title IX compliance without adding new sports (both items that were passed in the last couple of years by the NCAA only to be overridden when a majority veto occurred due to votes of the smaller schools) they can do so. It's apparently still an open item on whether the former BCS conferences will have a more heavily weighted vote when it comes to votes.

The fact that the new division gets to have their own governance board and set their own rules complicates things because they are recommending that the NCAA championships for the new FBS division and all of the schools currently included in Division 1 remain as unified championships (mostly due to the NCAA b-ball tourney almost completely funding the NCAA, and an unwillingness to damage the cinderella appeal of a school like VCU or Butler going on a deep run and beating some of the big boys). This means that if the new FBS division votes for say full cost of attendance, the VCU's of the world may be competing with a Kansas where the athletes are going to get more money to live on if they attend Kansas rather than VCU. That may lead to fewer cinderellas, but it may also lead to the rest of D1 deciding that full cost of attendance schollies isn't such a bad idea if they want to compete with the big boys and can no longer get away with their pocket vetoes to save some money.

9. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

CU is on board with this proposal.

10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I like it. It's better than splitting off. And it's about time. There is way too much difference between the BCS programs and the rest of FBS in terms of resources for one set of rules to work for everyone. 'Bama and Troy are so far from being comparable that it's ridiculous to treat them as such.