1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Props to Jason Espinoza

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by absinthe, Nov 13, 2011.

1. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Lots of us had lots of less than positive things to say about him as a punt returner and WR but after seeing what I have since he was moved to corner I'd have to say that is 100% on Hawk. He has good ball instincts, has gotten better every game and understands how to read a QB and where to position himself. He is by no means a world beater but its pretty clear over his career at CU he'd have given us a lot more as a DB that he was able to on the other side of the ball.

2. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Absolutely. Also shows the value of a walk-on program.

3. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

He's doing really well for a one legged midget.

I'm giving him the business, but the kid is all heart.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
    OrangeBowl likes this.
  4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I've always liked Espinoza.

He's small. He's not that fast. But he's got good hands, good agility, knows his assignments, and always gives 100%.

I think he got caught up in things with fans during the Hawkins era and took heat he didn't deserve. We saw a special athlete like Josh Smith get told that Espinoza was the favorite to win the punt return job over him. We saw highly-rated WRs who passed the eyeball test like Andre Simmons and Kendrick Celestine sitting on the bench while Espinoza got reps. We saw the team losing. We blamed it on Hawkins favoring walk ons over our best athletes.

In hindsight, I think Embree would have also favored Espinoza over J-Fly, Celestine and Simmons. Hell, he kicked the latter two off the team and considering the multiple disciplinary incidents J-Fly has had at UCLA I'm pretty much certain Embree would have booted him too. Of course, Embee probably wouldn't have recruited those guys in the first place.

So, making Espy a scapegoat was unfair. He's been a great Buff and I think that this season under Embree he has proved his value

BlackNGold likes this.
  5. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

You don't want to be a receiver that is stuck on Espinoza Island.

6. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Espy's talent should have spelled a solid career on the scout teams and hoping to play in garbage time. The idea of him being a starting punt returner, a key reciever, or in fact a depth chart guy at DB is ridiculous.

That all said, Espy forgot to pay attention to all that. He spent his career at CU working his butt off, doing whatever was asked of him by the coaches, being a solid teammate and giving it everything he has. Had he never gotten to be more than a spot guy on the depth chart he could have still finished his career with his head held high because he gave it everything he had. The fact that he has contributed to this team being a better team this year and being on the field for most of our first PAC12 win is just icing on the cake. I hope Espy serves as an inspiration for all the guys who are to small, slow, light, didn't play against quality competition, etc. to go for their dreams and make the best of them.

This is a better CU team because of Espy, what more could a guy ask for.

7. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I started typing before you posted this but it is all correct. Don't blame the player for what the coach tries to do with him. It wasn't Espys fault that Hawkins mismanaged his players.

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

:lol:

What was that about? Even the players were joking about it during the presser. Espy's girlfriend work on the video staff or something?

9. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Espy island cracked me up.

10. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

MDelpizzo was the first person I heard say it.

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

One of the funnier things I have seen in a while. Someone on the video staff has a good sense of humor.

12. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

I am trying to find the pic that was on the video board for a new sig pic!

13. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

I love the sense of humor, but they'd better have one. How many times have we not seen a replay when we should have over the season? Also, I know the players changed numbers a lot, and I know the stock footage would probably have the wrong number on the jersey, but at least put the right number on the board with the stock shot after a guy makes a good play. I noticed that problem a few times this year, so I'm sure it happened even more. How hard is it to consult the current roster and match up the numbers to make sure they are correct? Ugh.

14. JRK7

JRK7 Member

In the USC game they threw a quick screen out to Robert Woods and it was him against Espinoza one on one in open field and Espo took him down for no gain, I was shocked.

15. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

or that pass of barkely's he jumped and almost took for 6? for a dude playing CB of about a month that was a veteran read.

16. fcjack1

fcjack1 Member

17. GoldenBuff

GoldenBuff Club Member Club Member

Ask and thou shalt receive:

espinoza island.jpg

mdelpizzo_1 likes this.