What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prove you are a better coach than Hawkins. What do you call on the last play?

tante

Club Member
Club Member
For me I would run a bootleg where the QB rolls out to the right, you would have Deehan release from the right side of the line and run to the front corner of the end zone, at the back of the end zone, you would have a WR running deep cross after starting on the left side of the formation.

So Hansen has 3 options on the play:

Short pass to Deehan, Longer pass to a WR, or run.

you can also have a TE start at the left side of the line and drag behind Deehan by about 10 yards for option #4.

All you have to do to prove you are a better coach than Hawkins is NOT LET IT COME DOWN TO THE LAST ****ING PLAY.

CU had the ball, down by 10 points, with about 8 minutes left to go in the game. Then, CU got the ball back, down 7 points, with about 2 minutes left to go in the game. Why was CU taking so long to send in plays, execute/snap plays? We were burning 30 seconds of play clock / game clock going from one play to the next. Why are we throwing 3 yard pass plays to Deehan? Why are we throwing to Speedy (and why on earth did he even catch that ball) when we are in the middle of the field with less than a minute left!??

If CU would just play NORMAL ****ING FOOTBALL (i.e. no going for 2 after the 1st god damn touchdown) the Buffs might have won that game going away.

I don't have a problem with giving Toney a shot at a jump ball. In fact, I was wondering all night when I saw Toney or Richardson on the outside in single coverage with safeties walked up... why we weren't giving those guys a shot to beat coverage downfield.

I wouldn't have let a collective 10 seconds tick off the clock after the play was dead and we were out of bounds. absolutely ridiculous. that is what a coaching staff is there for. to watch those things.

I'm a big fan of the bootleg. Rolled Hansen out and had the options. I like that call Tante.

I don't have a problem with giving Toney a shot at a jump ball. In fact, I was wondering all night when I saw Toney or Richardson on the outside in single coverage with safeties walked up... why we weren't giving those guys a shot to beat coverage downfield.

I do because you have only 1 option on the play when you call it. What if they put double or triple coverage there? Hansen knew that is where the ball was going before they snapped the ball.

despite the fact it's been that way for the last couple seasons, i noticed the inability to get plays in a timely fashion against MU. It's the beginning of the 4th Q and we are down 3 scores and we are taking the full play clock. nice. brilliant. and it got even worse when Cody came in.

I wouldn't have let a collective 10 seconds tick off the clock after the play was dead and we were out of bounds. absolutely ridiculous. that is what a coaching staff is there for. to watch those things.

I'm a big fan of the bootleg. Rolled Hansen out and had the options. I like that call Tante.

I went through the DVR last night and whoever was running the game clock should be fired along with hawk. 3 times the cu player was out of bounds and they ran 2-3 seconds more off the clock. This happened earlier in the game.

It wasn't the last play. Don't ever throw to your outlet receiver in the last minute with no timeouts. The 2 yard pass to Speedy show of never been thrown. The QBs should of been taught that and they should of been hammer into them before they took the field at the end of the game. 20 more seconds on the clock would of given you at least 3 more shots at the end zone. The last play they had little choice.

Keep in mind the officials on the field are keeping the "official" clock. What you see on the scoreboard is just the home stadium's timekeeper's version of it.

For example - the officials said the 3rd quarter was over when the CU clock had 0:04 left on it.

Clock management always will be an issue under Hawk & Crew. Maybe I missed it, but when in the red zone, rolling the pocket out and giving Hansen a run/pass option seems to be the best bet. Baylor had 5 DB's lined up at the goal line on the last play. I'd think you've got to get Hansen moving to pull one or more of them away from the receivers. But then, I'm not the creative genius that our offensive staff is...

despite the fact it's been that way for the last couple seasons, i noticed the inability to get plays in a timely fashion against MU. It's the beginning of the 4th Q and we are down 3 scores and we are taking the full play clock. nice. brilliant. and it got even worse when Cody came in.

When I watch the replay of games you can hit the button that jumps the DVR forward 30 seconds. So when CU plays (offense) you can watch the end of the play and hit the button, and it stops where they are lining up to hike the ball.

Conversely, I recorded the Baylor TT game last week and you could NEVER use that feature because if you did you were watching the playes unpile from the next play. SO they were going to the line 10 seconds ahead of CU almost every play. Even on the last drive when we should have been in a hurry up O I could still use the 30 sec FF.

I wished Speed would have dropped that little 2 yard pass, that killed alot of clock. We would have had more options had he just let it go. The pass to Clemons wasnt an awful call I dont think, the pass needed to be outside to give him a shot at it.

I kick extra points and then wouldn't need to run a desperation 30 yard last second play.....there...i just proved I'm a smarter coach than Dan Hawkins

Play call was excellent, but the ball needed to be thrown correctly. It was thrown to the inside of the DB, should have been thrown to the outside of the WR. The DB had a much better shot at the ball than the WR. Good call, poor pass.

I'm not in the country right now, so I had to watch on ESPN Gamecast. So...I have no idea how soft the defense was playing on the last play. However, I imagine they were playing deep-zone dime. With that said, I'm not sure the waggle would have worked. Roll-outs are best when you can get the defense to commit to one side, and with a dime playing zone, they'll just sit on you until you start really moving.

From what I've read, it doesn't sound like a horrible call for the last play. However, I would have run a trick play. Run a route to the middle of the field (Deehan or McKnight), send Clemons deep, and have Patterson run a crossing route to where your middle route will be. Your first option is to Deehan/McKnight, and they once he feels pressure, he pitches to Patterson. If Deehan is covered, jump ball to Clemons/Richardson. Scoring a TD from the 19 is tough to do when the defense knows you have to score. I don't blame the last call...I blame all those short yardage plays on the last drive I kept seeing pop up on Gamecast.

Back