What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pruning my rant from a recruit thread

Bohn's been on the job for what, 8 years? Literally accomplished nothing re: the football program.

So, out of curiousity, if he gets the facility upgrades done, does that change your opinion of his accomplishments?

Pretty Good?

I must have missed the part where we are giving Bohn a complete pass for Hawkins. Can somebody point out who, exactly, is giving Bohn a complete pass for Hawkins?

Maybe this is just one of those situations where the perfect is the enemy of the good. Nobody is claiming Bohn is perfect. I'd make the argument that he's been pretty good, though.

He has done two outstanding things. He turned BBall and opened the door to the Pac 12. At the same time he's botched football, and facilities, the cornerstones of his job.

If CSU breaks ground on a stadium in advance of him doing anything of note on facilities, the embarassment to CU may even penetrate the teflon to Benson.

So, out of curiousity, if he gets the facility upgrades done, does that change your opinion of his accomplishments?

No. Our facilities are basically the same since 2005. It shouldn't be nearly a decade into his job that something finally gets done (in that time we have been utterly awful). And ftr, it is pretty clear that there is a bigger problem than facilities

There is something seriously wrong with the CU AD regarding football. There is literally no other bcs program comparable to CU that has been "down" for going on 8 years now. Something is rotten in the football program. There is no way we shouldn't be at a minimum a bowl team
+1. I don't really care if it is Bohn or CU, but we have witnessed a colossal collapse at least since Bohn was hired. In football and to Nik's point, in the overall support of athletics (which obviously was not great before Bohn as well).
Bohn actually met Hawkins and still hired him. Yikes.
This. Clearly the interview was a formality for Bohn. Obviously we would we be in a much better situation had we kept Barnett and actually given him some support. We are now to the point where we can't beat Baylor for a recruit. Baylor? I for one am sick and tired of the lip service we get from CU and the AD that now things are different. Show me.

He didn't "turn" basketball. Tad Boyle and Linda Lappe did that. He hired two good (bordering great) coaches to run those programs. That's his job. He keeps hiring coaches until he gets it right. He's made two brutal mistakes with the football coaching hires. He's corrected both of them.

He didn't "turn" basketball. Tad Boyle and Linda Lappe did that. He hired two good (bordering great) coaches to run those programs. That's his job. He keeps hiring coaches until he gets it right. He's made two brutal mistakes with the football coaching hires. He's corrected both of them.

What? We have 7 straight losing seasons, with 8 likely coming!!!!!!! How many bcs programs have a streak like that? I would imagine the number is probably zero. People act like it is complete rocket science to turn around a program to at a minimum a bowl team. Well it clearly isn't, because it is being done everywhere else except for CU.

It comes down to the fact that the job is not being done. Lack of support, facilities blah blah blah we hear that all the time. Time to find someone who gets the job done. It's time to find someone who demands support from CU faculty, Benson, DiStefano etc. Because Bohn has a history of being walked all over by those guys (not to mention from Buffs4Life)

Nik: I think the core problem is that CU views the AD as necessary evil and not an asset. Shouldn't Bohn be quantifying and demonstrating to CU what a good AD can add to the school? Maybe he is doing that and it's falling on deaf ears. I don't know.

What? We have 7 straight losing seasons, with 8 likely coming!!!!!!! How many bcs programs have a streak like that? I would imagine the number is probably zero. People act like it is complete rocket science to turn around a program to at a minimum a bowl team. Well it clearly isn't, because it is being done everywhere else except for CU.

It comes down to the fact that the job is not being done. Lack of support, facilities blah blah blah we hear that all the time. Time to find someone who gets the job done. It's time to find someone who demands support from CU faculty, Benson, DiStefano etc. Because Bohn has a history of being walked all over by those guys (not to mention from Buffs4Life)

I don't know what to tell you. He's recognized when a mistake was made and he corrected it. Whether MM turns out to be the guy still remains to be seen. The fact is that Bohn hasn't settled for poor performance from any of his coaches. And you demanding that Benson and DiStephano hire somebody who will demand support from Benson and DiStephano is comical.

Going on 8 straight seasons of losing football=AD needs to be fired. Too bad we could easily be approaching an entire decade of losing seasons before a decision like that is made. FAIL

Going on 8 straight seasons of losing football=AD needs to be fired. Too bad we could easily be approaching an entire decade of losing seasons before a decision like that is made. FAIL

If bball hadn't taken off and the P12 merge happened, yes I think Bohn would have been fired. Should he have been fired this year? I agree with sack that he made mistakes and corrected them. Granted, those were monumental mistakes. I think hiring MM saved his job. Had he struck out with MM and Butch and we went another few weeks without a HC, he might have been let go.

This from the guy who got a trip to Albuquerque on the AD's dime to watch the first round of the NCAA tournament.

This from the guy who got a trip to Albuquerque on the AD's dime to watch the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Actually I didn't because the AD failed and said I never bought tickets despite obviously having done so. And ftr, I laughed when students would yell to Bohn at the mbb games calling him "The best AD in the nation." And you just knew it was for the simple fact that they got a free trip. Talk about low standards and misguided priorities. And didn't it come out that the trip was Boyle's idea?

Actually I didn't because the AD failed and said I never bought tickets despite obviously having done so. And ftr, I laughed when students would yell to Bohn at the mbb games calling him "The best AD in the nation." And you just knew it was for the simple fact that they got a free trip. Talk about low standards and misguided priorities. And didn't it come out that the trip was Boyle's idea?

OK, so it's starting to become a little more clear about the source of your axe to grind with the AD.

He also made a brutal mistake with the WBB coach after Ceal. That has caused huge problems with what was a hardcore and loyal WBB following. Linda is making great strides to get this fixed, but it's hard to fix a relationship once trust is violated.

As far as other coaches, I think we hired a good one for Soccer, I remain loyal to Kritza for Volleyball (but she's got to win this year), and I believe that we hired a young, rising superstar to launch our Lacrosse program.

I'm obviously a huge fan of Boyle. In fact, I recently founded a religion called Tadism. Facilities have been huge there.

But Football drives the bus. Football has failed. If we announce facilities, HCMM turns out to be the real deal and we're back to being consistent Top 25 program again in 5 years, then I think we'll all be pretty happy with things.

There are a lot of things broken at CU, though. The budget problems, lack of emphasis on athletics and nickel organization hurt in a lot of ways.

There are a lot of things broken at CU, though. The budget problems, lack of emphasis on athletics and nickel organization hurt in a lot of ways.

I don't disagree. I merely think it's important to point out that when he took over, there were a lot more problems than what we have now. He still has a lot of work to do, but he HAS made progress, IMO.

There is something seriously wrong with the CU AD regarding football. There is literally no other bcs program comparable to CU that has been "down" for going on 8 years now. Something is rotten in the football program. There is no way we shouldn't be at a minimum a bowl team

rutgers, northwestern and Oregon state had much much. much longer dry spells than 8 years

rutgers, northwestern and Oregon state had much much. much longer dry spells than 8 years

You're talking about historical doormats.

I look at CU in terms of what the fans at places like Washington and Texas A&M would put up with.

(This was in reaction to a track athlete committing somewhere else for football.)

As much as anything, this is where not making a bigger commitment to the CU track & field program hurts football.

It's ridiculous that the funding for the academic building development of the East Campus is eliminating Potts Field but the money raised for the project didn't include the money for new T&F facilities. It's ridiculous that Indoor T&F is relegated to Balch - a facility that was poor 30 years ago and has been allowed to fall apart since. In Bohn's recent statements, he acknowledged that Balch wasn't a facility that we could continue using but also said he wasn't sure that building a new Indoor facility made sense because CU rarely hosts an Indoor event. Ummmm.... earth to Mike... CU doesn't host because of the horrible facility, not because college and high school meets wouldn't be able to attract anyone to come to Boulder. I'm past the point of being annoyed at some of the **** with the way CU runs things. **** it. Let's just all make a bunch of money so we can take over. I'll take the damn AD job and make all the decisions through Allbuffs polls. Things would be 100x better with CU athletics.

:pissed4:

Ha! Haaa! You whippersnappers have little idea of CU's "glorious past" when it comes to fundraising and forget the HUGE impact of Title IX (gently enforced by none other than the US DoJ's Civil Rights Division---you want CU's AD involved in another lawsuit, Binky?)

I've been whining long and loud about the role of the CU Foundation in lagging on AD donations (http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/88499-Buffenuf-s-Diarrhea-Of-The-Mouth) only to be castigated by all the punk "know-nothings" here who want to blame every AD shortcoming on Bohn! Now, Ringo exposes the Walnut Gang-that-can't-shoot-straight, except to snobbishly raise funds for their acvademic endeavors, despite their function as the dedicated, professional fund raisers for the entire University. Historically, the Foundation's AD-branch FR's are typically newbies to fund-raising, with few alum contacts and no experience in the actual manner of asking for big bucks, as well as being the lowest-paid.. Money-begging is a peer group related activity, based upon relationship building and yet the Foundation matched kids with potential donors decades OLDER than themselves and then just hoped something good would happen. If any kid gained good experience with resulting success, because of the CUF work environment( the bigwigs are almost all academic FR's and look down upon the AD as an annoyance) and low pay, he/she would bail for a better job and the AD was stuck with another under-paid, untrained youngster. Pile that on top of that, the Boulder Mafia (legends in their own minds) intermingled between the CUF and the AD, and the arrogance surrounding CU Sports, was thick enough to whack with a machete.

There has to be a complete change of culture surrounding CUF's athletic fundraising efforts, starting with an acknowledgement that the AD is one of the primo presenters/reps of the CU brand. Then, there needs to be a better approach to working with CU alums (who are provably tight in giving). The CUF should also be working with the Placement Office on developing strong alumni refrerral networks for all jobs and professions related to a CU degree. (One of my offspring---not a CU grad---was hired sight unseen by a major investment bank because the hiring manager was an alum of offspring's college!) Nothing can show gratitude for a new job/career secured through alum contacts via the CUF---more than regular donations to "dear old CU"---including the AD!!!.

In essence: horse first, then cart!

Last edited:
Why do we "need" to do that, abs? Is there a penalty if we don't have the same number of scholarships awarded for women's sports as men's sports?

Look at New Mexico.

Men's sports include all the ones we have plus baseball, tennis and soccer. The women have all that we do plus softball, volleyball and swimming & diving. So the latter two take up about 30 scholarships versus the 85 from football. Are federal lawyers, the NCAA, women's rights groups and an outraged public beating down the doors of their athletic department?

This bull**** has been shoveled by the CU AD for so long that we accept it. The real issue is that CU is cheap and politically driven. All they care about is football and men's basketball since they make money. And then it's a matter of trying to be the most PC AD in the nation on Title IX with the other sports offerings. I swear, we'll see women's rowing before we see men's lacrosse.

I am interested in the repercussions of this.

You're talking about historical doormats.

I look at CU in terms of what the fans at places like Washington and Texas A&M would put up with.

Exactly. There is something going on that we can't see. We aren't just in some unlucky rut that programs normally go through.

fwiw, I heard that any attempt to mess with the family housing has been shot down.

(note: this was double hearsay, but the person I talked to was pretty damn sure bout what they heard)

Last edited:
Just so I understand this right... Bohn is going to get lots of credit if MacIntyre makes a bowl game early in his tenure, right?

Just so I understand this right... Bohn is going to get lots of credit if MacIntyre makes a bowl game early in his tenure, right?

Being reasonable, I have to allow him to share a bit in the credit if that happens.

However, Bohn's job at this point is to get HCMM the facilities that were promised so that he can compete for championships and never wants to leave. That's what I'm going to judge Bohn on in the coming years.

Being reasonable, I have to allow him to share a bit in the credit if that happens.

However, Bohn's job at this point is to get HCMM the facilities that were promised so that he can compete for championships and never wants to leave. That's what I'm going to judge Bohn on in the coming years.
I think it is perfectly fair to say the jury is out on Bohn's legacy at CU and unless/until he is able to get meaningful facilities upgrades, especially for football, combined with the failure of the football program under his leadership, his legacy and tenure at CU will be limited.

But they are tied very close together. If he made the right hire with HCMM, than we will see on-field improvement which will lead to improvements in recruiting, attendance and fundraising. So Bohn has a lot riding on HCMM.

Last edited:
The bear is making a rare appearance on this forum to reaffirm that Nik is correct. The bear also believes that Bohn had a crappy hand dealt to him. The bear believes that this hand has not improved throughout many years. Further, the bear believes that you are all mostly a bunch of whiners who never donate to improve conditions. The bear also feels that your existing leadership would have ****ed up such donations anyways so the bear is conflicted and has little to offer other than suggesting change is needed. The bear likes Pearl Street and game days but wishes things would change to positively affect your trust with the CU AD but the bear knows better and awaits the day you all realize you have joined the conference of champions. The bear also likes Emma Coburn. The bear feels you do not provide sufficient coverage to Ms. Coburn here on Allbuffs. The bear also suspects that many of you are hippies that do not like athletic endeavors. That is all.

Absinthe is correct. One of the cost issues remains the out-of-state tuition our AD gets billed which is bogus.

The problem with Title IX is that Football eats up 85 scholarships, while also paying for every other sport. I would love to see an amendment as follows:

Sports that break even do not count against Title IX. They are considered businesses. All other sports that are "funded" by the University (i.e. do not break even) count against Title IX.
Thus the University would "hand out" $$$ equally. That would fix it to me. Use a 3 or 5 year sliding window for financials.

That would essentially free 85 scholarships. It would probably (in practice) allow us to add a Mens sport and eliminate a couple silly women's sports, and the AD would be much more financially healthy.

The amendment should be quite simple. Football scholarships don't count.

The bear is making a rare appearance on this forum to reaffirm that Nik is correct. The bear also believes that Bohn had a crappy hand dealt to him. The bear believes that this hand has not improved throughout many years. Further, the bear believes that you are all mostly a bunch of whiners who never donate to improve conditions. The bear also feels that your existing leadership would have ****ed up such donations anyways so the bear is conflicted and has little to offer other than suggesting change is needed. The bear likes Pearl Street and game days but wishes things would change to positively affect your trust with the CU AD but the bear knows better and awaits the day you all realize you have joined the conference of champions. The bear also likes Emma Coburn. The bear feels you do not provide sufficient coverage to Ms. Coburn here on Allbuffs. The bear also suspects that many of you are hippies that do not like athletic endeavors. That is all.

the bear has a "Bingo!" here.

Note to bear: CU already has three recent championships in Pac 12, while Cal's "glory years" for such---silly & water sports et al. do not count---are long ago!

Back